Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:57 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times

Advertisements

I have an idea. Instead of telling others about the greatness of God...how about you show them?

You know, by just being a genuinely happy, fulfilled, helpful person and a great friend.

The former is intrusive, invasive and ALWAYS (sorry, but yes...always) holds the implication...no matter how smilingly and artfully stated...that the one being told the "good news" is an eff-up who's doing it wrong and is definitely going to hell. The latter is actual proof that the way you do things is, looks, and feels better and happier.

People see a genuinely happy person and they think, "I want that! How do I do it?" People see a Bible-thumper approaching and their eyes immediately dart left and right looking for an escape hatch.

If you're genuinely happy and fulfilled in your relationship with God...it will show...you won't need to keep bleating about it annoyingly in order to prove it to them. Or to God. Or to yourself. Because honestly, when it comes to die-hard proselytizers, I often wonder which that is.

If a person wants to be like you, s/he will ask and then you can (politely and non-intrusively) say, "This is why I'm happy." And not before, please. Yeah, I know. The commandment to go out and tell the good news...given two thousand years ago when there weren't enough Christians yet. I think you've got that pretty much covered now. So back off and let people make THEIR OWN choices without shoving your face into theirs to scream the Good News. You're not bringing them into the fold. You're sending them running - and maybe screaming.

Have some common decency and stop intruding upon people's privacy and trying to tell them how wrong they're doing things (YES you ARE, no matter how "politely" you're spreading your good news).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 12:00 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
I am Christian, but that doesn't mean I want anyone coming to my door, or otherwise accosting me, wanting to "share" their particular slant on things.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,496,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
would you kill someone in the name of your GOD ? the concept of religion is fine with me but there simply cant be 1000 different ones .. set `ONE in stone and let the whole world agree on it and have an omnipotent being be at the head and i will follow right along ...religion is good for children who need a bit of direction in their lives and old folks who need a reason not to fear death ..
That is the direction of the bible. The day Damascus would be destroyed, a universal prophesy comes into play where the whole world becomes one religion.

I never did fear death myself, but then I tried suicide at about 6 taking an overdose and having my stomach pumped. I was always convinced I would die THIS year. Every year I believed it, and it was always welcomed.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am Christian, but that doesn't mean I want anyone coming to my door, or otherwise accosting me, wanting to "share" their particular slant on things.
I'm also a Christian....and I enjoy having people from other religions come to my door to try to convert me. It's fun.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm also a Christian....and I enjoy having people from other religions come to my door to try to convert me. It's fun.
That's how you amuse yourself? You wait for someone to come to Podunk to tell you about other religions then have a few yucks?

Or are you intending to convert to being LDS or JW? If that's the case......you'll need to find new employment.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:39 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,158,315 times
Quote:
I couldn't imagine doing that. Do you have any idea what type of religion or what church they're a part of? Have you thought about calling the church to complain?
I have no idea which church. I haven't seen adults with them. I just let them do it, thank them and move on. Not their fault. One of them told me that they were expected to find someone to pray for.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
First of all, you're drastically misusing the term 'persecuted.'

And second, what are you even talking about? I go to a public university and there's constantly people yelling about Jesus in front of the library (well, not right now... too cold for even the crazy ones).

Honestly, even in just public places, people can get away with evangelizing all the time. The only times when they're ever really told to stop is if their on someone's property or if they start saying really controversial things, like loving sky man will torture gays for eternity in a pit of fire when they die (you know, unless they give a donation), and it draws a crowd.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:13 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,056,205 times
no reason to tell people about jesus, most are not stupid and already know about him and will seek out if they believe or want to know more. you think people want to know about what YOU think is important for their lives? how about the person that believes sex is very important and should be practiced like a religion? you want them coming around to tell you all about it?

Old 12-26-2015, 01:29 PM

25 posts, read 22,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
no reason to tell people about jesus, most are not stupid and already know about him and will seek out if they believe or want to know more. you think people want to know about what YOU think is important for their lives? how about the person that believes sex is very important and should be practiced like a religion? you want them coming around to tell you all about it?
In that case, actions speak louder than words.. amiright??!

Just kidding...

...unless of course you're a girl

Old 12-26-2015, 02:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Quote:
You routinely tell me and everyone on this board that anyone who believes in religion is dumb. Nah...you may not use that exact word, but you're pretty mean-spirited to anyone who actually lives their life as a Christian.
Poor, sad, persecuted Viz.

My very large family - composed entirely of Christians - will be shocked, saddened and mostly surprised to learn I am mean-spirited to them.

Viz, you know very well I only target fundamentalists who believe all babies are deserving of hell, men are the "spiritual leaders" of the family and other primitive nonsense.

I'd love to see you pull that schtick on my sisters or sisters-in-law. They'd carve you a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality