Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 PM

33,621 posts, read 37,267,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Bold statement with zero proof.
You Christians are the ones who have the burden of proof....All you have is hearsay written decades after the myth was invented...

Quote:
It has served us well, this myth of Christ......Pope Leo X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,684,277 times
Quote:
Did I say that? We are not talking about present day. We are talking about an ancient world where everyone lived in the same region so societal influences ran strong. God looked into the hearts of everyone and only saw wickedness.

Their teachers shouldn't be teaching evolution as the origin of life. You can throw all the science jargon you want at me, but at the end of the day, you have no proof that we came from random forces of nature. That notion devalues human life. Teach them that yes, you are a special snowflake.
Special to whom? If your god can take out a population in one fell swoop, no one is special, and it is your god who devalues human life, not the teachings of evolution.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,028,757 times
Ah, the terrors of the first world. While apostates get the death penalty in Iran, building a park is the prime example of religious bigotry in the United States. Your complaints are akin to the "Ban Bossy" Campaign.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 PM

64,086 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope. Nor is that what I said.
I think you decided kids were evil sinners before you decided to to earn your living by telling other people kids are evil sinners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I also realized that God is willing to save those that trust in Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm sure you "realized" all sorts of thing... including God is "willing" to save some. Of course, in your version of religion, that doesn't include Anne Frank and all of the children slaughtered in the Holocaust or the ten's of thousands of Muslims and Hindu and Buddhist children who are killed in earthquakes every year or who die from starvation or from having a bomb dropped on their heads. They go to hell since they were born evil sinners and, according to your theology, they're in the wrong religion.
Personally, I couldn't sleep at night if I believed kids are born evil and all of the Hindu kids are headed for hell because they are Hindu and not a Christian. Reason #362,623 I'm grateful I'm not a fundamentalist/evangelical.
How do you sleep? Any nightmares about Hindu kids in eternal torment or is that just one of those things in your version of religion? How about when you're shmoozing with the neighbors at the post office. Any flashes of born-evil, hell-bound Buddhist kids interrupting the enjoyment of your morning coffee?
He probably sleeps just fine, Dew, thanks to the self-righteous blindfold of dogma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!This heinous doctrine is so evil there are no words to describe its insidious and detrimental effects on society.The self-righteous blindfold of dogma prevents even the most sensitive and decent of people indoctrinated under it from seeing it is evil.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 PM

20,197 posts, read 13,622,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Did it work yet?
Lol! Well ... I'm not angry so he might claim that part worked. Of course I never WAS angry in the first place.

Fundamentalists have had it drilled into their heads that unbelief is a sin, if not a form of blasphemy. The only way they can imagine themselves saying the taboo things we say is if they were angry / bitter / rebellious. Apparently that is easier to get their minds around then to accept that WE SIMPLY DON'T SEE VALID EVIDENCE OR LOGICAL ARGUMENT THAT WOULD CAUSE US TO BELIEVE. And that is another of their fallacies -- that belief is voluntary, something you just decide to do. That's only true if your beliefs aren't your own, but are borrowed (literally mindlessly) from someone else. Which only makes "sense" if you use the failed epistemology of religious faith.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,266,019 times
Quote:
No. It was brothers and their wives that were on the ark. Yes--it meant cousins married, but not immediate family.

Not if God, who created us all, decides to do it, no. Notice I'm not suggesting that God commanded anyone else to do it -- but he executed people that deserved to be executed. It's no different than the government executing a condemned killer.
Who did Adam and Eves children have children with? Their brothers and sisters or with mom and dad. They were the only ones around according to your book.

Are you claiming that newborn infants DESERVED to be executed? Toddlers?
EVERYONE was killed in the flood according to your book that includes babies, toddlers and grandmothers.
Is your book lying, or did those babies deserve to be executed?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,266,019 times
Quote:
Is it wrong to execute the guilty?
What were infants guilty of?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:45 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,326,086 times
Quote:
Bold statement with zero proof.
Again, prove otherwise?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:47 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,326,086 times
Quote:
Is it wrong to execute the guilty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What were infants guilty of?
So only a few were SINLESS?

Evangelicals teach ALL are sinners, so why were a few spared and the others murdered?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:50 PM

16,037 posts, read 6,411,409 times
Incest really isn't a big deal in the bible. That was kind of one of the things that weirded me out as a little girl. The story of Lot getting drunk and rapped by his daughters, not once, but twice always seemed fishy to me. They guy knew his wife was dead so no matter how drunk he was he would have had to known it was one of his daughters because there was no one else around. Then he goes ahead and falls for it a second time.

Genesis 19:36
35So they made their father drink wine that night also, and the younger arose and lay with him; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose. 36Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father. 37The firstborn bore a son, and called his name Moab; he is the father of the Moabites to this day.…

Edit: I just noticed that the scripture says they made him get drunk. So I suppose they forced the booze down his throat. I am not sure how they got him to swallow but it does appear Lot is a blameless man and not a complete perv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality