Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 01:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,667,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He inspired it. Scripture is said to be "God-breathed". Scripture says no prophet ever wrote his OWN message, but was carried along by the SPirit of God.
Scripture can make all kinds of claims, I don't equate claims with truth. The Bible is a compilation of stories written by men, to control the masses through fear and ancient superstition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,340,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Sure there is. The Bible is filled with prophecies, some hundreds of years in advance that came absolutely true. Do you really think it's a mere coincidence that the tiny nation of Israel would become the focal point of world politics just like the Bible predicted?

The Bible was written by 40 authors over three continents over a period of a thousand years yet the message and tone is consistent. Explain that one. That would be like taking comparing a writer from the Roman era to a New York Times best selling author and expecting their writing style to match and align.
The most remarkable aspect is that the speakers in all three continents spoke English in the dialect of the time of King James.

The Jews still think that Jesus missed all the prophesis of a Messiah and it was there own book.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:43 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,755,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Well he did not create me. Do you thank Thor or the Great Creator? No because you do not believe in them. And there is no evidence to show me that there is a creator and certainly nothing other than the say so in your Bible that if a god exists that it would be the one you worship. You can call all the other religions in the world, past and present, lies and false all you want but it is simply your own belief and nothing else that would allow you to so so. People lived and died before Christ so his death did nothing for them.
I have zero reason to believe in Thor. I have numerous reasons to believe I serve the one true God. I've had supernatural experiences. I've wrestled with the enemy. My family and friends have had supernatural experiences. I've seen people healed through the power of prayer. But even ignoring all that, the message of the gospel even on a logical plane makes sense. One of those messages is that faith in Christ defeats fear. In your world, fear is just an emotion. In reality, fear is a force on a spiritual level that chokes the very life out of you the more that you give into it. It paralyzes people. Then there is the message of uconditional love and forgiveness. In your world, respect has to EARNED, love is conditional and so is forgiveness. That does not make for a pleasant society. I don't want to live in a society where I have to do things first before someone gives me some common decency and respect.

Quote:

For you to claim that I and all atheists and those of all other religions must accept your religion and your god is very arrogant. You dismiss all those who do not believe in a god, you dismiss all those of other religions and probably all those who believe in your god but not the exact way that you do. And then call those who do not accept your proclaimations as arogant of hateful simply for not accepting your proclaimiation.
I'm not demanding that you accept my beliefs at all. You are free to believe whatever you want. I only stand for the truth and against the attacks of atheists and the OP here is one of the disgusting attacks.

Quote:

If you god is reposible for all pleasure then he must take responsiblity for all pain. I do not have to accept the existence of a God and only of your God and only of your intrepetation of your God based on your say so therefore your whole claim does not apply.
Pain was brought into this world when sin was committed and put a curse on us. That's man's fault. Not God.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
...snip...

Yup. And I'm going to believe what the Biblical writers said over men today any day of the week.
Of course you are. Your livelihood depends on continuing to believe those long-dead dudes were channeling your godling.

It's a pretty good gig talking about your book for an hour or so a week and getting paid for it.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:53 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,755,188 times
Quote:
The most remarkable aspect is that the speakers in all three continents spoke English in the dialect of the time of King James.

The Jews still think that Jesus missed all the prophesis of a Messiah and it was there own book.
No, it's remarkable that the Bible survived long enough for a King James translation. Men like William Tyndale were killed for their efforts at creating an English translation. It survived many attempts to destroy it. God's Word lives forever.

The Jews were expecting a Messiah to create a physical kingdom and revolution. Christ's purpose was much higher than that.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Is that like speaking in tongues Viz?
No.
Quote:
Do you speak in tongues Viz?
No.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Of course you are. Your livelihood depends on continuing to believe those long-dead dudes were channeling your godling.

It's a pretty good gig talking about your book for an hour or so a week and getting paid for it.
My family and I live beneath the poverty level. I don't know what kind of "pretty good gig" you think I have.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,614,119 times
Quote:
No.

No.
Cause thats pure BS, right?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,614,119 times
Quote:
My family and I live beneath the poverty level. I don't know what kind of "pretty good gig" you think I have.
You're supposed to, aren't you?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Cause thats pure BS, right?
What, exactly? The tongues that we see in many churches and by many preachers today? Yah--I don't believe that practice to be authentic and what the Bible talks of when it refers to tongues.

There were people that DID speak in tongues in the 1st Century, but I believe the sign gifts have ceased. There is really no mention of them in the Early Church Fathers in the 2nd Century on.

Quote:
You're supposed to, aren't you?
According to who/what? The Bible doesn't suggest that I am required to, nor does the Bible suggest that I should be rich. I have chosen to forego a career in the IT industry making 6 figures to do this, but that's my choice. I certainly did not do this to become rich, as the fish-guy might suggest.

Last edited by Vizio; 04-08-2016 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Just to fix the formatting of the quote blocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality