Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,279,590 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder where people "learn" to become atheists?

Look no further than the christian bible. Seems there are 11 verses that are so compelling, that many who have actually READ the bible, see atheism as a viable non'belief.

Genesis 19:8

As a father of three daughters myself, I cannot imagine offering my daughters to get raped so that I could protect the strangers under my roof.

Exodus 21:20-21

This was a favorite verse of slave-owners during the period of slavery in our country. In fact, all of Exodus 21 talks about the rules for treating slaves.

Leviticus 25:44-45

This is another verse about slaves, but this one includes the children. According to God, it is okay to buy and sell children. So apparently, everybody today who is trying to raise awareness about the human trafficking of children just needs to shut up. Apparently, God’s in favor of it.

1 Peter 2:18

So if you are a slave, and your master beats you harshly, you should just accept it. After all, fear of your master is a good thing.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21

So if a woman has pre-marital sex, she should be stoned. Other texts lay guilt on the man as well, but the guilty male gets less attention than the guilty female.

Deuteronomy 23:1

So if your penis is cut off or your balls are crushed, God does not accept your worship. God only accepts worship from people whose genitals are in good condition (minus the foreskin of course … that sort of mutilation is required by God).

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

So two men are fighting and a woman steps in to defend her man, and ends up grabbing the genitals of her husband’s opponent. Rather than discipline the men for fighting in the first place, the proper response in this case is to cut off the woman’s hand.

Leviticus 21:18-19

To approach God, you apparently had to be a perfect male specimen, with a working penis. Everybody else could not approach Him.

Leviticus 20:9

How is this even remotely justified? I don’t care if a kid cursed his parents with the worst curses ever uttered, does he deserve to get stoned to death for it?

2 Kings 2:23-24

Apparently, even though God doesn’t want people to worship him who are blind in one eye, or have a limb too long, or have eczema, He is a big fan of bald men!

Psalm 137:9

Happy? The word here could also be translated as “blessed.”
But try to picture the scene. Was this like baby piñata day?

Welcome to church, and enjoy your god-given blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:12 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,279,894 times
And those who love to worship this sick and vile bible are the kind of people who I stay far far away from. How can anyone revel in a book with such evil, sick, disgusting, and dehumanizing words?

How anyone finds spiritual enlightenment from such a book is beyond me.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,756,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Look no further than the christian bible. Seems there are 11 verses that are so compelling, that many who have actually READ the bible, see atheism as a viable non'belief.

As a father of three daughters myself, I cannot imagine offering my daughters to get raped so that I could protect the strangers under my roof.

This was a favorite verse of slave-owners during the period of slavery in our country. In fact, all of Exodus 21 talks about the rules for treating slaves.

This is another verse about slaves, but this one includes the children. According to God, it is okay to buy and sell children. So apparently, everybody today who is trying to raise awareness about the human trafficking of children just needs to shut up. Apparently, God’s in favor of it.

So if you are a slave, and your master beats you harshly, you should just accept it. After all, fear of your master is a good thing.

So if a woman has pre-marital sex, she should be stoned. Other texts lay guilt on the man as well, but the guilty male gets less attention than the guilty female.

So if your penis is cut off or your balls are crushed, God does not accept your worship. God only accepts worship from people whose genitals are in good condition (minus the foreskin of course … that sort of mutilation is required by God).

So two men are fighting and a woman steps in to defend her man, and ends up grabbing the genitals of her husband’s opponent. Rather than discipline the men for fighting in the first place, the proper response in this case is to cut off the woman’s hand.

To approach God, you apparently had to be a perfect male specimen, with a working penis. Everybody else could not approach Him.

How is this even remotely justified? I don’t care if a kid cursed his parents with the worst curses ever uttered, does he deserve to get stoned to death for it?

Apparently, even though God doesn’t want people to worship him who are blind in one eye, or have a limb too long, or have eczema, He is a big fan of bald men!

If all it takes is a few verses to crush your faith then you were never really born again in the first place. It is simply unfair to judge the OT practices and custom against a modern day society construct. You are committing cultural ignorance and lack of understanding why God would create such laws beyond just saying God sucks. Most Christians don't spend time in those books anyways because those laws are no longer binding to man.

I looked up one of your examples, Deuteronomy 23:1. Apparently, this kind of mutilation was a common practice about people of that time. That was the culture. God created this law to strongly DISCOURAGE people from doing it. That's the main focus of the law. God wanted to keep the Israelites as sin free as possible because He knew how fast sin as a cancer can rot and destroy. The OT law was harsh and unforgiving because God wanted people not dare commit sin. Even be afraid to cross that line.

Unfortunately, even with the law, people still rebelled and the Israelities suffered in captivity as a result.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 AM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is simply unfair to judge the OT practices and custom against a modern day society construct.
Well in that case you are faced with the problem that the Bible invariably leads from behind. It does not speak out against slavery or indentured servitude because how could it (you're right about that) ... it was the way of the world. It can't introduce concepts of human rights and equality because there was no intellectual framework to construct such teachings from. EXCEPT of course that god can do anything. And if he really wanted to lead the way to a better world, we would see the Bible consistently promulgating an enlightened concept of fairness, justice, empathy, compassion and love that would shame 21st century sensibilities, never mind 1st century ones.

But of course we don't see that, because it's not divinely inspired ... it is the best people could do at the time and even western Christian fundamentalists, while they would never admit it, have largely moved beyond it except in those instances where they purposely try to turn back the clock, not understanding the basis of their own freedoms.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,102,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Again, from Christianity straight into Atheism?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,341,755 times
At the time of the writing of the KJV the term bald referred to white headed, hence the naming of the Bald Eagle.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 AM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Again, from Christianity straight into Atheism?
Using the OP's argument it is more like from Abrahamic faith to no-faith. I don't see anything substantively different in Islam that would make it impervious to the same critique.

Sometimes people go from Abrahamic faith to pantheism, panentheism, Buddhism, Taoism, etc. Sometimes they even convert between Christianity and Islam or vice-versa in an effort to "get it right" although what they think they are fixing that's of substance is beyond me.

But increasingly, in a world where secularism is no longer demonized and is in fact seen as a positive, bypassing all that time consuming, life force dominating fishing around for alternative theistic ideations, is not needed. One can simply go from theism to atheism. Given that life is short, that is a Good Thing. I certainly surveyed world theistic beliefs for a year or two when I exited Christianity, as I didn't want to miss out on any actual benefits of theism. But I saw that it was all fundamentally flawed in the same way: it all relies on the demonstrably failed epistemology of faith.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,829,674 times
Salvation is one easy step...

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,390,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
"and those who don't are screwed, and will spend eternity burning in hellfire. but God loves you!" southernbored 4:20

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,657,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Why would people believe that is true, when the Bible clearly shows that God did not "so love the world"?

Or maybe it is sarcastic. God so loved the world, that He sent it the plague of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality