Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Ever wonder where people "learn" to become atheists?

Look no further than the christian bible. Seems there are 11 verses that are so compelling, that many who have actually READ the bible, see atheism as a viable non'belief.

Genesis 19:8

As a father of three daughters myself, I cannot imagine offering my daughters to get raped so that I could protect the strangers under my roof.

Exodus 21:20-21

This was a favorite verse of slave-owners during the period of slavery in our country. In fact, all of Exodus 21 talks about the rules for treating slaves.

Leviticus 25:44-45

This is another verse about slaves, but this one includes the children. According to God, it is okay to buy and sell children. So apparently, everybody today who is trying to raise awareness about the human trafficking of children just needs to shut up. Apparently, God’s in favor of it.

1 Peter 2:18

So if you are a slave, and your master beats you harshly, you should just accept it. After all, fear of your master is a good thing.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21

So if a woman has pre-marital sex, she should be stoned. Other texts lay guilt on the man as well, but the guilty male gets less attention than the guilty female.

Deuteronomy 23:1

So if your penis is cut off or your balls are crushed, God does not accept your worship. God only accepts worship from people whose genitals are in good condition (minus the foreskin of course … that sort of mutilation is required by God).

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

So two men are fighting and a woman steps in to defend her man, and ends up grabbing the genitals of her husband’s opponent. Rather than discipline the men for fighting in the first place, the proper response in this case is to cut off the woman’s hand.

Leviticus 21:18-19

To approach God, you apparently had to be a perfect male specimen, with a working penis. Everybody else could not approach Him.

Leviticus 20:9

How is this even remotely justified? I don’t care if a kid cursed his parents with the worst curses ever uttered, does he deserve to get stoned to death for it?

2 Kings 2:23-24

Apparently, even though God doesn’t want people to worship him who are blind in one eye, or have a limb too long, or have eczema, He is a big fan of bald men!

Psalm 137:9

Happy? The word here could also be translated as “blessed.”
But try to picture the scene. Was this like baby piñata day?

Welcome to church, and enjoy your god-given blessings.
The funny thing is, to have any outrage at any of that (commanded by God or not), you must presuppose the concept of morality. There is no such thing as morality when it comes to atheism, as the only thing you have is your opinion of what you like or dislike. There is no such thing as morality in the natural world -- it is only based on needs and survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If all it takes is a few verses to crush your faith then you were never really born again in the first place. It is simply unfair to judge the OT practices and custom against a modern day society construct. You are committing cultural ignorance and lack of understanding why God would create such laws beyond just saying God sucks. Most Christians don't spend time in those books anyways because those laws are no longer binding to man.

I looked up one of your examples, Deuteronomy 23:1. Apparently, this kind of mutilation was a common practice about people of that time. That was the culture. God created this law to strongly DISCOURAGE people from doing it. That's the main focus of the law. God wanted to keep the Israelites as sin free as possible because He knew how fast sin as a cancer can rot and destroy. The OT law was harsh and unforgiving because God wanted people not dare commit sin. Even be afraid to cross that line.

Unfortunately, even with the law, people still rebelled and the Israelities suffered in captivity as a result.
Better a challenged faith than a blind following?

And more precisely, it is the RAPE, SLAVERY and MURDER that raise serious questions, don't ya think?

MURDER was once common practice, does not mean it was MORAL or RIGHT...as was SLAVERY

How has that FEAR thing worked out for gittb? Safe to say it has been an EPIC FAILURE?

But, gittb SHOULD have KNEW that from the beginning right?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The funny thing is, to have any outrage at any of that (commanded by God or not), you must presuppose the concept of morality. There is no such thing as morality when it comes to atheism, as the only thing you have is your opinion of what you like or dislike. There is no such thing as morality in the natural world -- it is only based on needs and survival.
Seems there is NO morality when it comes to god of the OT either?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Again, from Christianity straight into Atheism?
Some take a stop at being progressives and others head straight for anarchy...I hear say a couple of folks even went to being a Buddhist and a few are practicing ZEN..

Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Salvation is one easy step...

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Thought the son was god.

Always having to correct xians

Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems there is NO morality when it comes to god of the OT either?
How would you know? I keep asking that and no one seems to answer it. You guys tell me that morality is based on doing no harm. OK...great. Who defined that?

You can say that God is immoral....great. Who defined that?

The fact is, you have no gold standard for morality. You don't LIKE what God has commanded, and what his people have done as recorded in the Bible? OK--your choice. If you don't like it, great. But you have no standard of what is moral and what isn't moral in order to say it is or isn't.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
How would you know? I keep asking that and no one seems to answer it. You guys tell me that morality is based on doing no harm. OK...great. Who defined that?

You can say that God is immoral....great. Who defined that?

The fact is, you have no gold standard for morality. You don't LIKE what God has commanded, and what his people have done as recorded in the Bible? OK--your choice. If you don't like it, great. But you have no standard of what is moral and what isn't moral in order to say it is or isn't.
Apparently wiping out evil wicked ppl is immoral according to the atheists here. And then turn around and blame God for non-action with modern day crimes.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Apparently wiping out evil wicked ppl is immoral according to the atheists here. And then turn around and blame God for non-action with modern day crimes.
As I mentioned...without a "gold standard" of morality, one has no way to judge anything as moral or immoral.

The best they've got is their opinions. But that opinion is non-binding on anyone but the one that holds it.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Salvation is one easy step...

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
It's this easy-peasy believism that is so appealing to lazy non-thinkers.

Like "Abracadabra!" Just utter the magic words, "I believe in Jesus" and you get a genuine, certified-by-god, get-out-of-hell-free card!

Of course, from that point on you get to sin your fool head of for the rest of your life because you're already "saved!"

What a sweet deal!

Moderator cut: edited .

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: edited

Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
As I mentioned...without a "gold standard" of morality, one has no way to judge anything as moral or immoral.

The best they've got is their opinions. But that opinion is non-binding on anyone but the one that holds it.
You keep saying this, but the fact is, YOU have nothing but YOUR opinion. You use your opinion on what an ancient book says, as if it is more than YOUR opinion. It isn't.

The only "morality" needed, is do no harm. This is far better than your OPINION on what you BELIEVE your God wants. You seem to be stuck on this whole, "who defined this" thing. Well, I know who defined it for you.... Bronze Age goat herders and people who thought the world was flat.

Your "gold standard" is nothing but YOUR opinion on what a book that has been translated innumerable times, says. That is not a "gold standard", and in fact, your own religion can't even agree on morals from your book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality