Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:30 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Where does our understanding of right and wrong come from, if not our creator?

From the knowledge that if you don't like being punched in the face, sexually assaulted , stolen from , or otherwise mistreated that your fellow man likely doesn't either, and therefore you shouldn't treat people in ways you don't like being treated .

Do you really need God to explain to you that if you don't like getting hit upside the head with a stick you shouldn't go around whacking others in the head with one ?

It's the negative version of the Golden Rule , which is actually superior to the positive one . Don't treat others in ways that you don't like others treating you . This needs no God to inform you of some new fangled and previously unknown moral precept , just your own realization of how you yourself don't like being treated .

Last edited by wallflash; 04-29-2016 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:09 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
And are we to accept the naturalistic doctrine on the definition and origin of things like knowledge and opinion?
I suppose you mean the scientific naturalism rather than philosophical naturalism. In either case, the supernatural being disregarded as a valid hypothesis of origins, there is nobody to define knowledge and opinion and to develop explanations about where it came from, but ourselves. So the answer to your questions would seem to be, logically and evidentially, yes.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Empathy.

It's more than a word in the dictionary.
Mockey is the opposite of empathy.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If all it takes is a few verses to crush your faith then you were never really born again in the first place. It is simply unfair to judge the OT practices and custom against a modern day society construct. You are committing cultural ignorance and lack of understanding why God would create such laws beyond just saying God sucks. Most Christians don't spend time in those books anyways because those laws are no longer binding to man.

Unfortunately, even with the law, people still rebelled and the Israelities suffered in captivity as a result.
Interesting coming from somebody who really oppose same-sex marriage.
You agree that there are practices and custom that are no longer applicable in modern life. I am not saying that there were no LGBTZ people back there. But you put the two and two together.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
That wasn't mockery. It was truth.

I've yet to meet an empathetic fundamentalist, in rl or online. They are characterized by their callousness and rigid judgmentalism.

You fit that bill to a T.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That wasn't mockery. It was truth.

I've yet to meet an empathetic fundamentalist, in rl or online. They are characterized by their callousness and rigid judgmentalism.

You fit that bill to a T.
How ironic that you characterize me as rigid judgmental when here you act like you know me well enough to judge that I lack empathy. That's being quite judgemental.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Even when correctly spelled, mockery is not the antonym of empathy. It's the opposite of praise / approval.

I can have full empathy with a good ol' southern boy and still disapprove of his racism, for example. Accepting his humanity does not mean I accept his morality.

Here again you are confusing disagreement with disrespect and personal attack. You are basically constructing a personal reality that demands agreement and approval or you simply claim you are being misunderstood and hated.

You are NOT your beliefs.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
How ironic that you characterize me as rigid judgmental when here you act like you know me well enough to judge that I lack empathy. That's being quite judgemental.
Jeff, you talk about how child starvation is only men's just desserts for messing things up and not obeying God and then you claim to have empathy?

For whom? Where? When?

Can I see some?

Honestly I think I'd fall down dead from the shock.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Even when correctly spelled, mockery is not the antonym of empathy. It's the opposite of praise / approval.

I can have full empathy with a good ol' southern boy and still disapprove of his racism, for example. Accepting his humanity does not mean I accept his morality.

Here again you are confusing disagreement with disrespect and personal attack. You are basically constructing a personal reality that demands agreement and approval or you simply claim you are being misunderstood and hated.

You are NOT your beliefs.
Mockery is a complete disregard for someone's personal feelings at the expense of obtaining some level of personal gratification. It most certainly is the opposite of having empathy.

You can disagree with my positions, but telling me that I am not a Christian (which is an ad hominem logical fallacy, btw) while knowing practically nothing about me is a personal attack.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Did he tell you that? I rather suspect that he would rather say that you are as much a Christian as any other, for him (and for me). We may compare your views and demeanour unfavourably with some of the attributes that Christianity is supposed to have, but we have the same beef with all of Christianity, to a greater or lesser extent. Greater in your case.

We would happily leave it to other Christians to disassociate themselves from you and designate you not fit to be a Christian, in their view (though I don't recall that anyone at all has said so (1). But we certainly wouldn't.

Unless I missed a post.

(1) possibly because it is an act that draws an infringement, like accusations of being a Troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality