Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Many of the bully types I have encountered in life are smaller church leaders who rule their flock with fear and intimidation.
I have seen both the pastor-in-a-corvette-with-trophy-wife phenomenon, and the pastor-ruling-by-fear-and-intimidation phenomenon, in small churches. I have also seen the more common case which is well meaning and relatively harmless guy who, whether hapless or steadily competent, simply wants to guide his flock. But inherent even in that metaphor is an inherently elevated self-assessment that you are qualified in some way to lead the simple unwashed masses toward their own best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No worse than the narcissistic atheists that post 2-3 posts a day attacking religion, specifically Christianity. You know...the guys that claim they don't believe in God, but then they spend an inordinate amount of time telling the world they simply lack belief? yah...those guys.
You mean the threads that cite legitimate news articles about things that actually happened? So sorry that you have lived in such an isolated world that you never noticed such evils done by those who believe that they are gods chosen.

Oh wait ... your threads clearly show that your point of view is focused on your mirror.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
One would expect an atheist to be more narcissistic, but a christian pastor ought to be full of god--unless of course they are their OWN god?
Even us pastors sometimes think we have things all figured out, and we think we are God's gift to the church. Think about it...it makes sense. God doesn't give a download of humility to pastors. We are normal people.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I have seen both the pastor-in-a-corvette-with-trophy-wife phenomenon, and the pastor-ruling-by-fear-and-intimidation phenomenon, in small churches. I have also seen the more common case which is well meaning and relatively harmless guy who, whether hapless or steadily competent, simply wants to guide his flock. But inherent even in that metaphor is an inherently elevated self-assessment that you are qualified in some way to lead the simple unwashed masses toward their own best interest.
Many would justify their career choice by claiming devine inspiration, or "god called me to preach"

Normally when someone hears from god, we start looking at whether they are off their medication, lr on the wrong anti-psychoitics altogether.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 05-04-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 03:13 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
Quote:
Even us pastors sometimes think we have things all figured out, and we think we are God's gift to the church. Think about it...it makes sense. God doesn't give a download of humility to pastors. We are normal people.
Not really, I wouldn't consider it normal for a person to make a career out of telling other people what they are doing wrong and how to live their lives. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Not really, I wouldn't consider it normal for a person to make a career out of telling other people what they are doing wrong and how to live their lives. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Really? There are a BUNCH of folks that aren't pastors that spend all sorts of time on this board doing that.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Really? There are a BUNCH of folks that aren't pastors that spend all sorts of time on this board doing that.
Suppose there is a "special" formula or rubric to decide who is and is not a pastor?

Old 05-04-2016, 04:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?... come on, you know it, say the chapter and verse...

Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
Quote:
No worse than the narcissistic atheists that post 2-3 posts a day attacking religion, specifically Christianity. You know...the guys that claim they don't believe in God, but then they spend an inordinate amount of time telling the world they simply lack belief? yah...those guys.
I think claiming to have special knowledge and speak for God is about as narcissistic as it gets. That or cray cray or maybe scammy.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think claiming to have special knowledge and speak for God is about as narcissistic as it gets. That or cray cray or maybe scammy.
I would agree. That's why I don't claim to be speaking for God, nor do I claim to be tapped into him and have special info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality