Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Say it ain't so! Seems we have a large population of pastors who are full of themselves?

Pastors with Narcissistic Personality Disorder are to be found in all areas of the country at rates 400%–500% higher than are found in the general population (1%-6%). Narcissists can be found in every age and experience range, and in
both sexes.

Pastors tend to be self-absorbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
I am not sure what to do with this information. It is interesting, and the study looks sound and as objective as such as assessment can be. But to really put it in perspective I would want to see both broader clergy studies and some comparisons with teachers and other related professions.

If I had to venture a guess I would suggest that this is indeed particularly pronounced among clergy and probably the more conservative / authoritarian the denomination the worse it gets, given that the more authoritarian, the more power the pastor wields over the flock, and the more opportunities for self-aggrandizement. Also some forms of overt self-aggrandizement are actually tolerated as the behavior of a mystic and visionary when the rest of us who behave that way are just garden-variety douchebags.

Keep in mind though that if the incidence of NPD in the general population is 1 to 6% then it is still 4 to 30% among pastors, therefore, this is not a study demonstrating that "all" or even "most" pastors are diagnosably self-absorbed.

Last edited by mordant; 05-04-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I don't doubt it. I believe a lot of pastors are very arrogant and full of themselves. Of course, there are also a lot of people that will always think they know more than their pastor, despite their lack of education on the topic.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Say it ain't so! Seems we have a large population of pastors who are full of themselves?
Is this supposed to be news? Why do you think the title "reverend" was invented?

The REAL problem, though, is that people kow-tow to the idea.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,081,130 times
Yep. Some of them even post their 'good deeds' on message boards daily.

Makes me just a bit more atheist every time I see a new thread...

Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yep. Some of them even post their 'good deeds' on message boards daily.

Makes me just a bit more atheist every time I see a new thread...
No worse than the narcissistic atheists that post 2-3 posts a day attacking religion, specifically Christianity. You know...the guys that claim they don't believe in God, but then they spend an inordinate amount of time telling the world they simply lack belief? yah...those guys.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Hmmm. Probably leaders/public figures of all kinds have similar numbers. I don't know for sure as I haven't looked it up but I'm assuming.

Quote:
No worse than the narcissistic atheists that post 2-3 posts a day attacking religion, specifically Christianity.
Yes, worse because in the former v. your example here, you are talking about leaders among the community, with others following their words.

As opposed to here on the internet, where everyone knows anyone could be anyone and say anything.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No worse than the narcissistic atheists that post 2-3 posts a day attacking religion, specifically Christianity. You know...the guys that claim they don't believe in God, but then they spend an inordinate amount of time telling the world they simply lack belief? yah...those guys.
I believe you are talking about one (1) particular atheist.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
One would expect an atheist to be more narcissistic, but a christian pastor ought to be full of god--unless of course they are their OWN god?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am not sure what to do with this information. It is interesting, and the study looks sound and as objective as such as assessment can be. But to really put it in perspective I would want to see both broader clergy studies and some comparisons with teachers and other related professions.

If I had to venture a guess I would suggest that this is indeed particularly pronounced among clergy and probably the more conservative / authoritarian the denomination the worse it gets, given that the more authoritarian, the more power the pastor wields over the flock, and the more opportunities for self-aggrandizement. Also some forms of overt self-aggrandizement are actually tolerated as the behavior of a mystic and visionary when the rest of us who behave that way are just garden-variety douchebags.

Keep in mind though that if the incidence of NPD in the general population is 1 to 6% then it is still 4 to 30% among pastors, therefore, this is not a study demonstrating that "all" or even "most" pastors are diagnosably self-absorbed.
Good Point Mordant

I want to add that all professions seem to attract a certain type of individual. Years ago, we had a discussion about police brutality and police behavior. It was pointed out that the police profession was and is the closest thing to professional sports. The team/locker room mentality, the physical aspects, the "us vs them" cuklture all contribute to attract a certain type of individual. Not all fit the paradigm, but enough to establish a pattern. Likewise with nurses, accountants even engineers.

So consider that the very business of the pastor centers around worship, and the pulpit can act as an unchecked power.

As Vizio pointed out, some people will take the mentality that the pastor is the expert, the one with the background to make the decisions for them. (Although Blake would disagree*...such a service is not only not needed, but dangerous.)

It has been long seen that humans, feeling dissociated from their god would create shaman, medicine men or priests to bridge this gap. The modern day pastor is no different. He is followed by a flock who WANT something, someone to worship. The Members of the church open themsleves up to the abuse to some degree.

I most liken the pastor though to a used car salesman. Both have a product which they want you to buy from them and them only. First, they must convince you that you want/need it, second they must convince you that the product they offer will be unique to meeting your needs, and finally, they believe that any method by which to get you to buy is fair. While some might stop at some point on the third item, may will not until the sale is final.

Bullying, intimidation, fear, a sense of urgency are all practiced by the preacher and the used car salesman. But wait...narcissistic personalities tend to be bullies, tend to want to scare others into following them and tend to use negative traits to their advantage. The whole idea of the narcissist is one who is jealous (hateful) of others, one who is arrogant,vane, self-centered and one other thing....mentioned in Psychology Today they have an overwhelming desire to control others.

I am always turned off by the number of fundy/evangelical preachers I have met who drive very expensive cars, wear expensive jewelry and designer suits. Who are they trying to impress?
I am more impressed by monks who give up everything to live in a Monastery...Christian OR Buddhist than those who flaunt their wealth to impress others.
But worse than that, the majority of pastors I have known harbor many of these traits, and virtually all fundy pastors I have known could easily fit into this category.

I think that the very nature of the occupation not only allows for someone to assume power over others, but it also seems to attract those who want to have power over others. Look at your types like Rev Moon, Jim Jones, Jerry Falwell,Oral Roberts,Jimmy Swaggert...all seeking power and money first and foremost. But it does not limit itself to the televangelists. Many of the bully types I have encountered in life are smaller church leaders who rule their flock with fear and intimidation. I can name names and places.

*https://books.google.com/books?id=zA...riests&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality