Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
NOTHING will convince skeptics so I don't even know why I try. Everything I mentioned was not forced to happen. You don't force a holocaust. You don't force your country to become the center pin of your world politics. The Jews have hated in the Middle East and worldwide since Biblical times. Not the Aztecs. Not the Mayans. Not the Palestinians. The Jews. And how many other Middle Eastern nations turn the desserts into fruit baskets and enjoy prosperity like Israel? You might make a case for Dubai but that's a city propped up by extreme wealth that could crumble at any time.
I don't know why you try, either. You don't ever seem to come up with good arguments. The one about hated since Biblical times (11th c BC, in fact, though I don't expect you to accept that), isn't a good one because everyone got the same sort of stuff that was dished out to Israel and Judah, and only having a mind circumscribed by Bible -believing thinking may give you the idea that the Jews were somehow singled out for special attention.

It is true, I think, that their Law and religion has given then a separate identity that has shown remarkable resilience, and that, rather than just Jew-hate has led to trouble that otherwise they might not have had. And also to some remarkable successes (e.g the Maccabean and 7 day wars).

That said, as I have argued, the state of Israel was somewhat self -fulfilling and not as close to the prophecy as believers would like it. I could argue why Israel appears have have flourished under its present rulers, but I don't want to go down that road and it is hardly germane to the discussion. I prefer Maroc oranges to Jaffa anyway.

But to get to the nub, nobody was Forcing the events to happen. So I suppose that means God wasn't? Events happen for reasons, and I have shown how some of those reasons were shaped by an intent in peoples' minds, and based on fulfilling the Bible prophecy after the event. No matter how you try to force terms or conclusions on me, I don't think the Israel prophecy stands up any more than Tyre or Babylon or indeed Daniel, when you look at it. And certainly none of the hundreds of NT prophecies really do anything to validate the Bible, let alone Christianity

Quote:
Blaming it all on Bush is just a ridiculous stretch not grounded in any kind of reality. I guess Bush caused WW2 as well?
Now, that is ridiculous. Bush wasn't C-in-C of the US forces when Pearl Harbour obliged you bods to come and save our butts. He was when the Iraq war was launched. Why do say such absurd things? They just come back and bite you in the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I don't know why you try, either. You don't ever seem to come up with good arguments. The one about hated since Biblical times (11th c BC, in fact, though I don't expect you to accept that), isn't a good one because everyone got the same sort of stuff that was dished out to Israel and Judah, and only having a mind circumscribed by Bible -believing thinking may give you the idea that the Jews were somehow singled out for special attention.

And you don't seem to defeat my points either. If the BIble has remarkable prophecy on anything, you just claim it was self fullfilled because that's your ONLY escape. Sad and frankly pathetic.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:

And you don't seem to defeat my points either. If the Bible has remarkable prophecy on anything, you just claim it was self fullfilled because that's your ONLY escape. If you try to use archaeology to prove the Bible, you dismiss an entire field of study by saying Oh well fiction writers use real historical details too! There is simply nothing that will give people like you which is really sad. You will end up going to hell for your stubbornness and hatred of God's Word.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Of course you won't see your points as defeated, because they could still be true.

But from my point of view, they ARE defeated, because there is now a reasonable explanation that doesn't require prophecy.

It is the same with archaeology. It is claimed that it supports the Bible, but in fact, it doesn't. I ought to know as I had discussions about claimed Hebrew writing in Sainai. Turned out to be Canaanite ostracon by migrant workers in the Turquoise -mines.

We had the Hyksos claimed as Joseph's people in Egypt. They were Cananites who established a couple of dynasties before Ahmose drove them out of Egypt, back to the 'promised land'. but they were Egyptian apart from a few Canaanite names, in culture and religion.

The once trumpeted fallen walls of Jericho have been shown to be of the wrong date and not an all at once collapse. and Nazareth of course, despite strenuous efforts fails to be more than a farm or two in Jesus' time.

I am afraid that I must regard the attempt to point to an actual Jerusalem temple, a Tiberius silver 'penny' and a tower of the Herodian palace as no more support for the NT story than Margaret Thatcher in a James Bond movie, a real Pekin Summer palace in a Flashman book and a real Dick Whittington, Lord mayor off London as support for the Puss in boots pantomine as being other than a tall story.

And your infantile hellthreats just make me laugh.

I know. When Hank kicks my ass, you'll be counting your money and laughing..

Old 05-07-2016, 11:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
And you don't seem to defeat my points either. If the Bible has remarkable prophecy on anything, you just claim it was self fullfilled because that's your ONLY escape. If you try to use archaeology to prove the Bible, you dismiss an entire field of study by saying Oh well fiction writers use real historical details too! There is simply nothing that will give people like you which is really sad. You will end up going to hell for your stubbornness and hatred of God's Word.
How can I hate a god if I don't believe in any deities? If the Bible were truly god's word, why are there so many versions and revisions of the genuine article? Wasn't god's word good enough, why would Christians need to bastardize it?

Old 05-07-2016, 02:02 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
NOTHING will convince skeptics so I don't even know why I try.
Perhaps you should not view us as skeptics or unbelievers.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-07-2016 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 02:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Thousands of Christians own and drive a car , and there is no cars in the bible
They must have had airplanes in Jesus' day. He told them:
Mat_24:20 "Now be praying that your flight may not be occurring in winter, nor yet on a sabbath,"

And they had watches back then because Peter James and John slept on their watch.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Indeed, you sorta try it on with the Ezekiel spaceship. Glad you admit that the origins of Life and the Biblical religion was equally likely due to visiting spacemen.
You wrote that to Jeffbase40 but it was I who wrote about that. And yes, more than likely there are myriads of beings in the universe. The church is going to go to every one of them and head them up in the Christ as Ephesians tells us. You know, you can come along if you are chosen. I think it would be awesome to have you come with us. You are actually quite the cool guy. Really.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
they must have had airplanes in jesus' day. He told them:
Mat_24:20 "now be praying that your flight may not be occurring in winter, nor yet on a sabbath,"

and they had watches back then because peter james and john slept on their watch.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You wrote that to Jeffbase40 but it was I who wrote about that. And yes, more than likely there are myriads of beings in the universe. The church is going to go to every one of them and head them up in the Christ as Ephesians tells us. You know, you can come along if you are chosen. I think it would be awesome to have you come with us. You are actually quite the cool guy. Really.
Yes he is quite a cool guy. See, we agree on some things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality