Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, they would harp on about premarital sex.
Not safe sex or the dangers of reckless sex but on total abstinence.
I have never heard any sermon on sexual matters and I have been to a lot of different churches. Well, I take that back. One church I was visiting, this one minister's talk was all about sex. He even mentioned the vagina etc. No one was shocked. But that was the only time. But I have never in my life heard a sermon on safe sex or dangers of reckless sex or even about abstinence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So there's a sex talk.

Why would someone talk with a pastor about their sex lives? Are there classes at pastor school that qualify them to discuss sex with the parishioners? Are there classes on human biology, sexuality and the reproductive system? Not speaking about any pastor who may be posting on this forum but the pastor could be getting his/her freak on away from the pulpit and be the least qualified person on the planet to be piously advising a couple on their sex lives.
I do 5-6 sessions of premarital counseling with a couple that I'm going to marry. It starts with an exposition of Genesis 2. I did not get into any details, nor do I want them to tell me anything about their intimate lives, but I did briefly talk with them about what God says about marriage--and that sex is a gift to be enjoyed by married couples.

I appreciate your side comment about "Not any pastor here" But seriously...there are some pastors (and yes, some pastors are arrogant and obnoxious) that really seem to enjoy talks about sex. My view is that I'll preach verse by verse through a book. If the text mentions sex, I mention it. If not, I don't. And yes---there are times that I will explain what a passage has to say about sex and marriage. I preached through 1 Corinthians, and that was an issue that the church in Corinth was dealing with. It got covered. Frankly, I found it REALLY weird to be talking about it from a pulpit with my then 11 and 14 year old daughters in the 2nd row.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I do 5-6 sessions of premarital counseling with a couple that I'm going to marry.
That is kind of kinky when you really think about it. You are going to marry a couple? So it will be a threesome? Oh, my bad.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That is kind of kinky when you really think about it. You are going to marry a couple? So it will be a threesome? Oh, my bad.
I'm HOPING you realize I'm saying that I'm simply officiating the ceremony.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
hahahahahaha

Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So there's a sex talk.

Why would someone talk with a pastor about their sex lives? Are there classes at pastor school that qualify them to discuss sex with the parishioners? Are there classes on human biology, sexuality and the reproductive system? Not speaking about any pastor who may be posting on this forum but the pastor could be getting his/her freak on away from the pulpit and be the least qualified person on the planet to be piously advising a couple on their sex lives.
If I do any premarital counselling at all, I never bring up the issue of sex. Almost all of those I marry are late 20's or beyond, lived together or been together for a significant period of time. They know about sex already and don't need me jumping in on the issue. To me it just seems creepy to offer guidance on copulating.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:58 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
Quote:
Psychiatrist? Clinician? Psychologist? Hand writing expert?

P.S. If you look on your keyboard you will see a key wider than the others with an arrow pointing up and the word Shift above the arrow. That's what we use to get CAPITAL letters. You hold it down when pressing the letter key to be capitalized.

What are you talking about he capitalized the word God, that is all that needed to be done.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:16 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Say mordant, have you considered writing a book? Or maybe you have written a book. You have an experiential background and knowledge base coupled with a skill and way of thinking that would make a great advisory book that would, I'm sure, be of interest and benefit to many readers. Just my humble opinion.
Thanks, it's kind of you to say that. I have authored two books, and co-authored a third, but in technology, not self help. Although in some ways they ended up beings self help books for technologists of course. This was in the early 1990s when conventional publishing was still firmly in place. One has to work the conference circuit to really promote and extend one's publishing efforts and I realized I wasn't really interested in doing that sort of thing on a regular basis, so I drifted away from being a book author. I was a technical editor for s few years after that for a periodical however. That was more satisfying as I had the opportunity to introduce a lot of software developers to writing and helped them develop better communication styles. I also authored some courseware, and occasionally taught that courseware in seminars. Since the turn of this century though I have been content to write software for a living and manage a couple of other developers. It's generally low pressure, high-autonomy stuff and as I get older I tend to like that sort of thing ;-)

So yes I can communicate in writing well and I have a unique perspective to offer on some aspects of life, but I also have some limitations such as the utter lack of desire to be any sort of public figure and having living adult children (for example) who might not be able to handle my unfiltered opinions about some of these topics. Beyond that, I tend to regard myself as someone who, if he were writing comedy for instance, could do a killer SNL skit but could not sustain a movie script or a book. My insights, such as they are, are probably too hit-and-run for a large format. Or I'm too lazy to develop them in-depth for larger formats. Or both. Like SNL skits that often don't translate well to feature film format, maybe my style is inherently not suited to such things.

There's also a thing going on in publishing today where the barriers to entry are low and it's pretty hard to compete with even mediocre books that have already been written. There really isn't anything new under the sun.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:17 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
How are any of these antichrist things happening a "threat to Christianity" when the Christian
church, its writings and its God all said with total clarity that these things WOULD HAPPEN
as a matter of absolute truth and necessity ?

so you still lose, cupper3.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If I do any premarital counselling at all, I never bring up the issue of sex. Almost all of those I marry are late 20's or beyond, lived together or been together for a significant period of time. They know about sex already and don't need me jumping in on the issue. To me it just seems creepy to offer guidance on copulating.
I find the interest in someone's sex life, especially under the guise of religion, creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality