Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Einstein said we can think of the Earth as "at rest"
while everything else moves around it, because no experiment has ever
established that the Earth rotates.
Damn all those pesky sunrises and sunsets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why Sex May Be the Greatest Threat to Christianity

It suggests that we are told (quoted):
God designed human beings to be heterosexual and sexually dimorphic (distinctively male or female). He designed sex to occur strictly between members of the opposite sex who have entered into lifelong, exclusively monogamous relationships. No other context for sexual intimacy is legitimate. All other contexts produce harm.
Furthermore, sex is either primarily for procreation (if you’re Catholic) or else it is for procreation and pleasure (if you’re anything else), but it still shouldn’t get too kinky, because that is a perversion of what God wants. And when done right, sex is great but it still should never be allowed to rival more spiritual pursuits like prayer, worship, evangelism, and service to others. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all of that, yada yada.
The article outlines the five ways sex threatens Christianity:
1) Christianity is dualistic to its core, and that makes sex a rival for people’s affections.
2) The Christian narrative feeds on guilt, and our sexual insecurities are the gift that keeps on giving.
3) Religion also thrives on control. If they can control what you do with your privates, they can control everything.
4) Christianity teaches that you do not own yourself, and that presents a major problem for sexual health.
5) Our real-life sexual experiences invalidate the Christian narrative about sex again and again.
A good article and thought provoking. I've always felt religion is much to repressive and lays way too much guilt on human beings sexuality. It has nothing to do with morals; while married I never strayed in 30 years and two marriages.

When not married, I tend to be in longer term relationships, and sex needs to be an integral part of that. This very short 19 second video expresses my feelings well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbQqrEamdQ
Get hip to this: The only threat to Christianity is a big asteroid hitting the Earth.
Other than that....Christianity, along with the other Abrahamic Theologies, will continue to dominate and rule this world for a long time to come, like they have for the last thousand years.
Those that are bothered by that, notwithstanding.
I'm in the commercialized sex industry, and it is a huge industry...believe me, sex has little effect on Religious adherence.
The two most consumed elective products: Religion and Sex!

Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Get hip to this: The only threat to Christianity is a big asteroid hitting the Earth.
Other than that....Christianity, along with the other Abrahamic Theologies, will continue to dominate and rule this world for a long time to come, like they have for the last thousand years.
Those that are bothered by that, notwithstanding.
I'm in the commercialized sex industry, and it is a huge industry...believe me, sex has little effect on Religious adherence.
The two most consumed elective products: Religion and Sex!
You'd appreciate Georgia real well. I've seen as many strip clubs as churches along the interstate and state highways. And never been anywhere that there were so many of both.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
So somehow having sex while not married can attract demons and stuff while having identical sex while married cannot?
I don't believe I said that, did I?

I'm not a Christian that sees a demon hiding under every rock. It's just not my thing. But I do know that God told us that sex is for married couples. He defined what marriage is. Within marriage, it's a wonderful thing.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yea, like all the scientists on board with Monsanto and Genetically Modified Foods. "Oh, we've done our scientific research and there is no harm to humans." And I wonder why all the intestinal problems and stomach problems are on the rise in the American public?

The local dairy farmer near where I live lost around half his milk cows due to feeding them GMO soybeans. They took Monsanto to court and won. Now if GMO foods do that to a huge cow, what do you think it does to little ole humans? Oh, but the scientific community says there is nothing to worry about. It is all safe.
I don't know the specifics of your neighbor's court case, nor would I claim to be able to comment on it. I can tell you that I have no qualms about eating the GMO corn my neighbors grow, though.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:31 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Meh. Religion was created to reinforce socially accepted standards of behavior. It can evolve as those standards do.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I don't believe I said that, did I?

I'm not a Christian that sees a demon hiding under every rock. It's just not my thing. But I do know that God told us that sex is for married couples. He defined what marriage is. Within marriage, it's a wonderful thing.
"He" defined marriage in many ways.

Do you support all of these?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM

788 posts, read 512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why Sex May Be the Greatest Threat to Christianity

It suggests that we are told (quoted):
God designed human beings to be heterosexual and sexually dimorphic (distinctively male or female). He designed sex to occur strictly between members of the opposite sex who have entered into lifelong, exclusively monogamous relationships. No other context for sexual intimacy is legitimate. All other contexts produce harm.
Furthermore, sex is either primarily for procreation (if you’re Catholic) or else it is for procreation and pleasure (if you’re anything else), but it still shouldn’t get too kinky, because that is a perversion of what God wants. And when done right, sex is great but it still should never be allowed to rival more spiritual pursuits like prayer, worship, evangelism, and service to others. Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all of that, yada yada.
The article outlines the five ways sex threatens Christianity:
1) Christianity is dualistic to its core, and that makes sex a rival for people’s affections.
2) The Christian narrative feeds on guilt, and our sexual insecurities are the gift that keeps on giving.
3) Religion also thrives on control. If they can control what you do with your privates, they can control everything.
4) Christianity teaches that you do not own yourself, and that presents a major problem for sexual health.
5) Our real-life sexual experiences invalidate the Christian narrative about sex again and again.
A good article and thought provoking. I've always felt religion is much to repressive and lays way too much guilt on human beings sexuality. It has nothing to do with morals; while married I never strayed in 30 years and two marriages.

When not married, I tend to be in longer term relationships, and sex needs to be an integral part of that. This very short 19 second video expresses my feelings well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbQqrEamdQ
The greatest threat the Christianity, and to all religions and "belief" systems, gods etc., is TRUTH, and the TRUTH is that there is no god, no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation or life after death etc.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:23 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
The greatest threat the Christianity, and to all religions and "belief" systems, gods etc., is TRUTH, and the TRUTH is that there is no god, no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation or life after death etc.

Do you have any evidence or truth as you state, I'll go with no reincarnation and please none of this burden of proof on the believer as you the non-believer made the statement , this ain't my first rodeo dude.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Do you have any evidence or truth as you state, I'll go with no reincarnation and please none of this burden of proof on the believer as you the non-believer made the statement , this ain't my first rodeo dude.
You are well aware of the statement, extraordinary claims (an after life, an higher power, etc.) require extraordinary proves.

The bible ain't one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality