Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not that the multitude of editors after the fact had anything to do with that...
I would challenge you to back up that assertion. Please provide some evidence that the Bible was edited multiple times. The facts go against your claims. Seriously. I'd encourage you to do some research on the topic of textual criticism. You demonstrate you either have no clue, or you are being intentionally misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would suggest that the last person that is to judge a religion and say what it actually teaches is the person that is on the outside, looking in. As you've said yourself, you are not qualified to do so.
Says the guy who is not LDS but likes to post what he claims are LDS beliefs.

Good thing Katzpur, an actual Mormon, is tremendously knowledgeable about her faith and is able to correct you since you get so much, if not everything, wrong.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-20-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
I would challenge you to back up that assertion. Please provide some evidence that the Bible was edited multiple times. The facts go against your claims. Seriously. I'd encourage you to do some research on the topic of textual criticism. You demonstrate you either have no clue, or you are being intentionally misleading.
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/01/02/t...ys-294018.html

Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Thanks, OT. Great article. From it:

Quote:
Take one of the most famous tales from the New Testament, which starts in John 7:53. A group of Pharisees and others bring a woman caught committing adultery to Jesus. Under Mosaic Law—the laws of Moses handed down in the Old Testament—she must be stoned to death. The Pharisees ask Jesus whether the woman should be released or killed, hoping to force him to choose between honoring Mosaic Law and his teachings of forgiveness. Jesus replies, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.’’ The group leaves, and Jesus tells the woman to sin no more.

It’s a powerful story, known even by those with just a passing knowledge of the Bible. It was depicted in Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion of the Christ and is often used to point out the hypocrisy of Christians who denounce what they perceive to be the sins of others. Unfortunately, John didn’t write it. Scribes made it up sometime in the Middle Ages. It does not appear in any of the three other Gospels or in any of the early Greek versions of John. Even if the Gospel of John is an infallible telling of the history of Jesus’s ministry, the event simply never happened.
(Bolding mine.)

Old 05-20-2016, 04:07 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
If you are indeed a seminary trained pastor, I am astounded that they have left you so completely ignorant and unaware of the actual genesis and process that has resulted in what you currently use as the Bible. Clearly, your training was an indoctrination and NOT an education. Sad, very sad.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you are indeed a seminary trained pastor, I am astounded that they have left you so completely ignorant and unaware of the actual genesis and process that has resulted in what you currently use as the Bible.
I thought the same thing.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:26 PM

788 posts, read 512,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See out side with the sin of adultery God hold no spiritual authority , and even couples who are married need to refrain from lust , and this can still attract demons who can come and give curses
That sounds like the mindless rambling of an insane person.
"Attracting demons....". Wake up, its 2016, all the demons are dead.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
The concept of "curses" is also not Biblical other than the kind of blessing and cursing that god does when he is happy or unhappy with someone, which is more a synonym for reward and punishment than some sort of magic mojo concept.

This business of elevating Satan to a place that is, in effect, more powerful than god, is something that never ceases to amaze me. Such people live in fear of doing something that will give Satan free reign to torment them rather than looking for ways to please their deity. It is an emphasis that fosters fear and paranoia and avoidance rather than the things Christians are supposed to be about: love, faith and embracing "whatever is of good report".

The fixation on demons doesn't really have much more scriptural justification than does curses. They are mentioned in passing (as are the "unfallen" angels) and are not to be fixated upon. I was always taught that god is far more powerful anyway, it is him you need to concern yourself with. Rather than warding off evil spirits and curses you should be pleasing to god.

I think the kind of churches who have this sort of emphasis (and they are not all pentecostal / charismatic by the way) are selecting for a certain kind of adherent with a certain kind of vulnerable personality. It is bad enough the typical religion uses agency inference and confirmation bias to draw people to the god concept, but to put them in fear of being abandoned to a malevolent anti-god amounts to emotional abuse in my view.

This is truly what "doctrines of demons" are. Or as a minister once put it to me, "bad theology is a hard taskmaster". Even worse, I'd add, than "ordinary" theology.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:59 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
What are you talking about?!
It's the biggest thing lately!
Hollywood loooooooves Zombies and "Walking Dead"!
I'm not too into it. Just vintage stuff...like Dracula. He was a cool dude...and he always had excellent taste (pun intended) in women!!

Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you are indeed a seminary trained pastor, I am astounded that they have left you so completely ignorant and unaware of the actual genesis and process that has resulted in what you currently use as the Bible. Clearly, your training was an indoctrination and NOT an education. Sad, very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I thought the same thing.
My father went to a seminary for a year before realizing his calling was elsewhere. (Thanks, Dad!)

I served as an altar boy to several Catholic priests, graduates of a what I believe was a 7-year program at that time. Dunno if it's different today.

At any rate, all of these men, young and old, were intelligent and well-versed in the bible.

But they understood - as do all intelligent, educated, rational people - that much of the bible is allegory and myth.

They sifted the bible to separate the wheat from the chaff. Or at least tried to, to some extent.

In any event, although I believe all mainstream religions are wrong, the least wrong are the liberal.

The Fundavangelists are doomed to extinction. They are spiritual dead ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality