Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times

Advertisements

Sharing this with any other cult aficionados. Main page is really good reading:

Threats like these contributed to the ultimate loyalty to Jim Jones. If there was a fear of experiencing a tragic accident simply for thinking a negative thought, chances are that most members would change their thought process to only think positive thoughts towards the Temple. Of course, why it was believed that Jones could cause such events was itself another form of indoctrination

The Brainwashing of Peoples Temple – Alternative Considerations of Jonestown & Peoples Temple

Brochure:

http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/wp-content...reedomBklt.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Sharing this with any other cult aficionados. Main page is really good reading:

Threats like these contributed to the ultimate loyalty to Jim Jones. If there was a fear of experiencing a tragic accident simply for thinking a negative thought, chances are that most members would change their thought process to only think positive thoughts towards the Temple. Of course, why it was believed that Jones could cause such events was itself another form of indoctrination

The Brainwashing of Peoples Temple – Alternative Considerations of Jonestown & Peoples Temple

Brochure:

http://jonestown.sdsu.edu/wp-content...reedomBklt.pdf
Wow! Thank you. I was 20 and in secretarial school when the mass suicide occurred. The first issue of Newsweek I ever bought was the one with the photos of the hundreds of dead lying all over the ground. I was fascinated by it, but I've been a disaster/mass death junkie since I first learned about Pompeii in childhood.

ETA: Through the article I listened to part of the tape where Jones Is talking them into suicide. It's 45 minutes long, and I only listened to bits of it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-21-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2016, 03:33 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Nothing in the brochure on Jesus Christ , as Jonestown was non Christians , as the leader gave no reference that Jesus was divine and only said the Jesus was a servant of God only ........ so Jonestown cult would have been a form of godliness but no power from the living God through Jesus

Old 05-22-2016, 06:37 AM

261 posts, read 156,782 times
There is no evidence Jesus was divine.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Nothing in the brochure on Jesus Christ , as Jonestown was non Christians , as the leader gave no reference that Jesus was divine and only said the Jesus was a servant of God only ........ so Jonestown cult would have been a form of godliness but no power from the living God through Jesus

I get so tired of hearing this "Jim Jones was not a Christian" spin. Jim Jones was first an assistant minister in the Methodist Church at age 21 , then a minister in the Assemblies of God. He then became an ordained minister in the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ and his church was a DoC church.

So how was he not a Christian?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I get so tired of hearing this "Jim Jones was not a Christian" spin. Jim Jones was first an assistant minister in the Methodist Church at age 21 , then a minister in the Assemblies of God. He then became an ordained minister in the Christian Church/Disciples of Christ and his church was a DoC church.

Umm because he later said he was an atheist?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

It is just the No True Scotsman fallacy which unfortunately was a fallacy that Paul engaged in, thus giving Christians ever since scriptural support for such circular reasoning.

Fundamentalists attempting to avoid guilt by association aren't even honest enough to say "these people don't represent my view or understanding of Christianity" or "they are not true [insert name of denomination here]" but feel compelled to say they are not Christians period. But then they will, when it's convenient to them, embrace all of Christendom when claiming impressive numbers. In THAT case Christians are a full third of the world population, not the tattered remnant their persecution narrative portrays True Christians as. They will take all that doctrinal error and outright apostasy on and embrace it as their own when it suits their argument. And then turn right around and disavow their "brothers and sisters in Christ" when THAT suits them.

And the maddening part is that they don't see the disconnect themselves, at least outside the more influential clergy. Because this sort of schizophrenic thinking is no different from seeing god as benevolent and jealous and ineffable all at the same time, or seeing god as triune and yet one, or Jesus as both fully god and fully human. These aren't inconsistencies, but simply paradoxes and mysteries, part of their special pleading fallacy where god can break his own rules or behave as he pleases while condemning us for doing the same. Or be un-caused when it's ridiculous to suggest that anything else is. I could go on and on.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:40 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
A fair and factual point for once judging from the evidence. He was a Marxist and at one point his wife admitted that he was attracted to religion not because of personal belief but to use it as a tool to advance his politics. Not that he wasn't above using religious ideology even after he openly outed himself as not a believer ... acting as a Christ-figure to his followers.

So in this particular case there is some actual evidence that he might Never Have Been One Of You and it may be unfair to suggest that Jones was, either at the time of the mass suicide, or even possibly before, an actual holder of Christian personal beliefs.

What would be far less certain is that he was not at least spouting theist ideology of some kind to manipulate his followers, whether or not he believed it himself. I think he borrowed from various places as needed.

My objection to your deployment of the No True Scotsman fallacy stands but this is not an example of it even if it plays into your narrative.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

What would be far less certain is that he was not at least spouting theist ideology of some kind to manipulate his followers, whether or not he believed it himself. I think he borrowed from various places as needed.
Fairly typical behavior for cult leaders. They know how to pick out the weak and malleable and go for their soft spots.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That would do it. Did he?
He did, fairly early on, and nothing in what I read seems to change that. I certainly wouldn't consider him a Christian. It's a shame that so much promise, like the civil rights movements got mixed with an enthusiasm for Stalinist states and increasing cult isolation and dirty tricks to cover up any questions. The fact finding by Ryan was the red light and after an effort to shoot the party leaving at the airstrip, he wiped out all his following.

A cult and bad one, but not a Christian one.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-22-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality