Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Those who believe in all this supernatural nonsense should be classified as delusional and in need of psychiatric treatment. Can't wait for the day when faith is classified by the APA as what it truly is...DELUSIONAL and in need of treatment like other delusions such as paranoid schizophrenia. When you believe you are talking to the so called creator of the universe or having some relationship with that so called creator, you are delusional whether you want to admit that to yourself or not. We have grown adults on this board who think snakes and donkeys talk. They never grew out of their childhood need for a skydaddy. Attention all Christians on the board. Go to your local zoo and ask to see the talking snake and donkey exhibits and see what looks you get. Please do it. The looks you get should tell you that you suffer from a detachment from reality, which you do. Then we have Pastor Vizio on this board preaching all this crap from the pulpit and influencing impressionable young minds in his church on Sundays with this BS. As the comedian Doug Stanhope likes to say, we ought to make it mandatory that you have to be 18 or older to walk into churches in the first place so supernatural nonsense like the Bible and other so called holy books can't infect young minds with this nonsense.
I won't argue on the merits of faith, that's pointless. I went looking for your Ph.D in Psychiatry, and whaddaya know, I came up empty. But since you think you know more than actual Psychiatrists what does and does not classify as delusional, you should definitely contact them and tell them all about just how wrong they are for not classifying faith as a delusion. You probably think the same thing about trans people like myself, even though the evidence that we are not delusional is overwhelming. I'm sure they would be more than happy to hear from you. Personally, I think attempting to diagnose someone without ever meeting them or having the proper credentials should be a crime. You're probably thankful it's not!

I'll tell you what though, my next appointment with my Psychiatrist I'll ask her why faith isn't classified as a delusion, and I'll report back what she says after she stops laughing. I see one because I am trans and it is part of transition...and guess what?! If I were delusional, about anything at all, I'd be denied further treatment!! Guess what else?? I haven't been! I'm on a hormone replacement regimen and have been for nearly two years...annnnnnnd...my Gynecologist has discussed GRS options with me!

My Psychiatrist has deemed me not delusional or mentally unsound in any way, shape or form. So until you show me your credentials that equal or better hers (not bloody likely), I'll stick with her opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Add in the little detail that said person has been dead for 2000 years.

And the fact that said person doesn't speak or understand English.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually Christ Jesus has been alive for 2000 years. He will return one day.
I hope I don't bump into him on a dark night.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
And the fact that said person doesn't speak or understand English.
Maybe he has one of these. It's a Babelfish.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It would be if the claims for a personal relationship with Jesus were the same as relating to historical figures. They are not. With Jesus it is supposed to be more than simple inspiration and admiration. No one claims that Bach guides them in his will for their daily lives. No one prays to Bach. No one worships / deifies Bach. No one says Bach is the only way to be reconciled to god and escape the wrath to come. There are no holy books revealing the Will of Bach.
Great post as usual mordant.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I won't argue on the merits of faith, that's pointless. I went looking for your Ph.D in Psychiatry, and whaddaya know, I came up empty. But since you think you know more than actual Psychiatrists what does and does not classify as delusional, you should definitely contact them and tell them all about just how wrong they are for not classifying faith as a delusion. You probably think the same thing about trans people like myself, even though the evidence that we are not delusional is overwhelming. I'm sure they would be more than happy to hear from you. Personally, I think attempting to diagnose someone without ever meeting them or having the proper credentials should be a crime. You're probably thankful it's not!

I'll tell you what though, my next appointment with my Psychiatrist I'll ask her why faith isn't classified as a delusion, and I'll report back what she says after she stops laughing. I see one because I am trans and it is part of transition...and guess what?! If I were delusional, about anything at all, I'd be denied further treatment!! Guess what else?? I haven't been! I'm on a hormone replacement regimen and have been for nearly two years...annnnnnnd...my Gynecologist has discussed GRS options with me!

My Psychiatrist has deemed me not delusional or mentally unsound in any way, shape or form. So until you show me your credentials that equal or better hers (not bloody likely), I'll stick with her opinion.
What does being trans have anything to do with delusions? I don't see the point.

Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.

I still maintain that having a "personal relationship" with somebody you never met as delusional and back everything I said about those with beliefs in talking snakes, etc. Please provide a rational evidence based belief for talking snakes please. Look at the definition again. Obviously there are others on here who share my belief. Here you go, a huge does of Jim Jefferies. If anybody doesn't like the video, too bad. Deal with people who stick religion where it belongs. In the land of fairy tales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4prBWqOGdM

Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Not have a Personal relationship with Jesus Christ is delusional and people are only a half a person which God plans for Humans....... See Christians are reborn with the temple of Holy Spirit on their beings as God abides on His people with His spirit , which is a profound spirit with substance , as Christians are reborn in the spirit of Christ and there is a presence of God on their lives though out their lives .............Jesus was raised from the dead and it indeed alive today through His spirit ......Where the people without God cannot see Him because they do not know Him ......Most religions of the world cannot see him and some kill to appease the gods and some wish God were there and wonder why this injustice or disaster happened as where is god to them ...... But true Christians have God on their being as God abides on them
Blah, blah, blah. Same old claim with no verifiable proof.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:00 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Same old claim with no verifiable proof.
The indirect and anecdotal evidence is proof enough to satisfy them.
You are looking for not just a "preponderance of the evidence", or, "beyond a reasonable doubt"...you want "beyond all but the very slightest doubt".
For most...and that would be MOST...
they come to a different conclusion than you.
You don't even have consensus...you just try to use "No Evidence" as evidence, then follow an Argument From Ignorance to come to your illogical position.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

"The whole 'personal relationship' with Jesus thing is delusional"

No more a delusion than anything else...why, you probably think the ceiling over your head is really
a ceiling or the chair is really a chair...yeah right...now THAT is delusional!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:44 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
"The whole 'personal relationship' with Jesus thing is delusional"

No more a delusion than anything else...why, you probably think the ceiling over your head is really
a ceiling or the chair is really a chair...yeah right...now THAT is delusional!
Ummm...what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality