Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I believe God commanded Christians to preach the Gospel. The Gospel actually involves telling people why we need a savior.

What's your excuse for posting offensive things?

Obviously, we believe different things. What do you think? Even the JW's and Mormons would agree that they are not brothers with each other. I once roomed with a guy that identified as a Mormon. He told me the quickest way to get rid of a JW at the door is to tell them you're a Mormon. His point was that the 2 just didn't mix. They were like oil and water.
no. jesus asks that we use love, compasion, and understanding (reason). I see that and say he did not die, wake up, and then fly away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Obviously, we believe different things.
You also believe differently from the Roman Catholics and the Pentecostals, Vizio. Are they your brothers and sisters? Are only members of your particular denomination your brothers and sisters or does your circle extend a little further. Obviously you have chosen to draw the line somewhere. The question is where?

Quote:
What do you think? Even the JW's and Mormons would agree that they are not brothers with each other.
If I believe that Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists are my brothers and sisters, I definitely also believe that JWs are. We are all God's children. That means we're all brothers and sisters. A lot of us just seem to be estranged from one another. I don't think that makes our Father in Heaven very happy, but it is an unfortunate fact nevertheless.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Does anyone else see a relationship between the arguments among Christians and the tower of Babel (babble) story?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
LOL you are the last person who should be giving out this advice. I find it ironic that a person who works in a brainwashing institution is trying to tell others to live and let live. Is this how you preach in your sermons. Do you tell others that there is more than one way to obtain spiritual growth? That they don't have to believe in a god or Jesus to develop spiritually? I didn't think so! You don't even respect the concept of live and let live neither does your oppressive religion.

You would love it if science would just shun away and allow your types to continue spreading deception. Keep on wishing for that but it's never going to happen.

When religious fundies learn to live and let live then me and everyone else who stands up to their oppressive ignorance will live in harmony together. Your religion started this oppressive ignorance 2000 years ago and thankfully because of people like me and many others your voice is getting smaller and smaller.

Too bad you guys have a religion that teaches lies, oppressiveness, dividness, hatred and war. There will never be a world of live and let live as long as we have religions that teach this mentality.
I like this post and this is the reason why I will make posts like my original. Christianity needs to be challenged and so do the other religious belief systems on this planet that cause harm. If pastor Vizio thinks I take a condescending attitude towards Christianity, he should read the longest post I ever made on City Data about the dangers and harms of Islam. Christianity just happens to be the predominant religion in Texas and the US so my posts will mainly be directed at that. As I have stated here before, I don't concern myself with criticisms of the "tone" of my posts or whether they are perceived as mocking, condescending, etc.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I like this post and this is the reason why I will make posts like my original. Christianity needs to be challenged and so do the other religious belief systems on this planet that cause harm. If pastor Vizio thinks I take a condescending attitude towards Christianity, he should read the longest post I ever made on City Data about the dangers and harms of Islam. Christianity just happens to be the predominant religion in Texas and the US so my posts will mainly be directed at that. As I have stated here before, I don't concern myself with criticisms of the "tone" of my posts or whether they are perceived as mocking, condescending, etc.
Viz has no room to speak about anyone. He is the epitome of why Christianity is a failed religion and why there exits religious hatred, oppressiveness, dividedness and war. He can thank himself for planting these seeds into others minds that are gullible enough to listen to him.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't think you can so easily divorce the works of Hemingway from the man. His works are a part of him. Without those you would not even know about him. Through someone's writings we can know, relate to, and value something in them, and that to me is a relationship.

For me as a musician I definitely see myself personally connected to the composers whose works I perform, a feeling that I am channelling something that originated in their brains, entering my brain and coming out through my hands. It is a very intimate feeling, and there is a sense also of responsibility to the intentions of the composer which involves a lot of respect for their talents (which I call "love" also). I even feel a connection to other musicians of the past and present who have interpreted the same music. There is a lot more going on than meets the eye (or ear).

I'm not a musician but I love musicians too and some I've never met. Sometimes it's just about their music but some I do admire as people as well. You don't always have to meet a person to know them. You just have to be a good observer. I understand what you say about the music too. To a smaller degree some musicians when I listen to their music I can feel it. A lot of their personality and even soul resonates in their work. However I would not compare this to Jesus. There is no definite person to observe...no vocals to hear. If other people believe that Jesus is real that would be fine except many times when people say they have a personal relationship with Jesus, they are convincing others to believe in him as well. The other reason you can't compare that to Jesus is exactly that too. With a musician you're not telling someone else to have a connection with them. As an agnostic theist, that is my problem with religion obviously at least the Christian god. I still remember this one person I was chatting with online said my life was the work of the devil..that it had to do with Adam and Eve. What does Adam and Eve have to do with me? Did I go and pick the apple? But I'm supposed to have a relationship with a figure that would make me a scapegoat for people who lived thousands and thousands of years ago? Yeah that is a loving father alright. People like that are the reason why threads like this one exist.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 AM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
To a smaller degree some musicians when I listen to their music I can feel it. A lot of their personality and even soul resonates in their work. However I would not compare this to Jesus..
my understanding of the music post was that he is NOT making the point that that the composers are like JC......but it was a response to address the claim raised by several others that yes it is possible to be in relationship with someone even if they are deceased and even if we never met them "in person." the relationship is not "one way" nor is it delusional nor is it imaginary.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I suggest you work on your maturity as well as your apology skills. This is in no way an apology.

You see the above as an arrogant know it all? Well I suppose a lack of knowledge immature person would view any knowledgeable person in this light.
I know my intent- your choice to accept or reject.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Isn't that what you're doing? You guys just keep telling us we're mean because we actually call people sinners!
Serious question Vizio... Can you read? Because I have told you and little man both that I (can't speak for the "we" you speak of) am not hurt, and do not think you are "mean" for calling someone a sinner. You do, however, have very primitive thinking skills, and lack compassion.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I know my intent- your choice to accept or reject.
So do I, and who are you to tell me what my choices are? It's none of your business to tell anyone what choice they have about anything...unless they are seeking your opinion. I don't recall asking you for your opinion about anything that has to do with me or my personal choices.

Talk about a self-righteous "I know it all" mentality...you just described yourself to a T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality