Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 10:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how is it measured?
In many many different ways. Units of energy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
in what sense does it "protect" you?
Not exactly sure...we have not pegged that one yet. I have my thoughts on it but again they are just my thoughts.

Perhaps you can read the book titled: The Magic in Your Mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why would I? If they believe something contrary to what God said, then no--they are not my brothers and sisters.
This superior attitude is so unbecoming, Vizio. You and I are both children of the same God. Deal with it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-24-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have no problem defining Christianity. The non-Christians of this board though, have fits when I do so. It's weird though, the Christians are fine with it.
That would be because YOU are not the arbiter of who is and who is not a Christian, Vizio, God is. Those who follow Christ and proclaim to be Christians ARE Christians regardless what YOU think or do not think about it. You are a divisive, contentious and in so many ways an "un-Christlike" person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree.
But - albeit unwittingly - he and his blinkered fundamentalist confreres are doing a tremendous service for liberals, atheists, agnostics and others.
By being so open about his hidebound religion and its barbaric "moral" code, he leaves no doubt in any rational, educated person's mind that his path most certainly leads to a spiritual dark pit.
The fact he claims to be a pastor, a presumably-educated person in a position of responsibility, makes his views even more jaw-dropping.
But long may he expose himself on the internet!
Jaw-dropping indeed, and very disheartening as it reveals a sickness in the body of Christ that seems intractable. The phrase benighted hardly covers it.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Actually Christ Jesus has been alive for 2000 years. He will return one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
And your verifiable evidence for that statement is?
My verifiable evidence for that statement is the historic accounts as found collected in the Bible.
And, when He returns you will have all the evidence you need.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:55 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That would be because YOU are not the arbiter of who is and who is not a Christian, Vizio, God is. Those who follow Christ and proclaim to be Christians ARE Christians regardless what YOU think or do not think about it. You are a divisive, contentious and in so many ways an "un-Christlike" person.
While you might be right that "those who follow Christ and proclaim to be Christians ARE Christians" that does not mean they are believers. By "Christian" I would say that many today who proclaim to be Christians are in fact nothing more than unconverted heathen who attend churches but who think they are converted.

How does one really know if they are a true believer? Read Romans 4 and Paul's use of Abraham up to the end of Romans 4.

Quote:
Jaw-dropping indeed, and very disheartening as it reveals a sickness in the body of Christ that seems intractable. The phrase benighted hardly covers it.
Typical of you to believe what an unbeliever states over that of a believer like Vizio.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:56 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You did not offend me in any way shape or form. You only offended yourself and those of your flock.

You should learn to develop more emotional maturity and knowledge when it comes to understanding our freedom of speech rights.

Taking offense by what others think is a sure sign that you need to work on yourself.

On that note this one is for you and Viz and any other oppressive mentality bible thumper.
Try accepting an apology without being an arrogant know it all- you too need to work on your maturity.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree.

But - albeit unwittingly - he and his blinkered fundamentalist confreres are doing a tremendous service for liberals, atheists, agnostics and others.

By being so open about his hidebound religion and its barbaric "moral" code, he leaves no doubt in any rational, educated person's mind that his path most certainly leads to a spiritual dark pit.

The fact he claims to be a pastor, a presumably-educated person in a position of responsibility, makes his views even more jaw-dropping.

But long may he expose himself on the internet!
I would not disagree with any of that.

I too think it is a good thing that we have things like this forum for people like Vizio to post to. They do so much good by turning people away from that line of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This superior attitude is so unbecoming, Vizio. You and I are both children of the same God. Deal with it.
Completely agree about his attitude. He makes it very clear that he believes he is above those who do not believe as he does. EXACTLY, as he does.

I may disagree about being children of God, but whether we are or not is quite irrelevant. We are all humans, and in this thing together. I consider everyone, including people who disagree with me (Like Vizio, Jeff, Gldn, et al), my "brothers and sisters".

Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Most of the people I know, that have a walking relationship with God, do challenge their experiences, and inspiration, and few take things for granted.
Though after a season, sometimes it's easy to take God for granted , many people do that regularly any way, with or with out a relationship.
A wise man will never take God for granted .
Taking God for granted is were a lot of people get distracted and compromise the truth for public acceptance, PC, self govern and sin .
Many that come to God, do so by agreeing with God's assessment of them, recognizing the rebellion in their life and actually wanting to make reconciliation with God .
However those that attempt come to God on their own terms, with a combative attitude, are likely to see nothing, experience nothing .
One cannot lie to God and get away with it .
Lies distance Him all the more.
Jesus said Satan is the father of lies ,was a liar from the beginning .
In contrast though David had many failures ,He prayed ,"Search me oh God and know my heart, try me and know my thoughts, and see if there be any wicked way in me , and lead me in the way everlasting.
Born of the Spirit Christians want God's thorough examination, and revelation to know the things that offend him and reduce our usefulness to Him .
It is sometimes uncomfortable when these failures are revealed, and decisions must be made , and the beauty is, God helps us with our problems, if we are diligent/desperate about giving Him room/license to do the work in us.
Sometimes though the work gets started and we put the brakes on, still holding on to destructive behaviors habits, the challenge of wills is in question.
Some folks fail, and take back over them selves, back into ruin, and fallow after religion in place of the relationship.
And some learn to give God rule, and discover the blessings of obedience.
God does not rule like a tyrant , in fact though our will is still intact the choice to act still in in our court ,but the choice to neglect usually means loosing out on the blessing on the other side of obedience.
God does not always reward with what we are expecting but usually what we actually need .
In stead of giving the money for the doctor, God does the healing in stead. It can go either way.
People whom know nothing of my financial situation, inspired on their own, have handed me the balance of what I needed to meet the demand. this had happened more then once or twice for that matter.
I have laid hand on the sick "In Jesus name" and they are recovered often in that moment.
I have been driving and directed to take a different route, and later discovered that the original path had serious issues .
I often look to God for direction while driving ,even before there appears to be some delay .
It doesn't matter if I am in an area I live or some new place out of town.
Oft times I have been instructed to stop to help some one along the way and I don't see them till I round a long turn .
There are people's names I do not know, that God put's on my heart to pray for, and He teaches me how to pray for them .
Prayer of the obedient, said alone, and aloud, is an open declaration to God and the spirit world with in proximity, is in recognition of His authority in that life.
God knows our thoughts , nothing is hidden from Him .
Speaking aloud is not essential for Him to know what your after but the declaration of this oral act is an alliance with God, being displayed for the spirit word to observe as well .
However ,if the prayer is a misrepresentation a facsimile , a thoughtless habit it will have as much value.
An habitual liar/deceiver is not taken seriously, till his behavior is corrected in all his communications .
They who live a different life in church than one out side, deceive them self.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Them's fightin' words.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The irony is that you do this very thing repeatedly on these boards. You tell us what Christianity is and is not--while appealing to no source other than some abstract mystical feelings-oriented spirituality. Meanwhile, you outright dismiss as arrogant anyone that actually tries to appeal to an objective source that is based on something other than themselves.

I mean..I can't make this stuff up. And you call ME arrogant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality