Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I have no problem defining Christianity. The non-Christians of this board though, have fits when I do so. It's weird though, the Christians are fine with it.

Weird. I've known a lot of Christians in the 20+ years I've been a Christian and I have known some with some issues, but I've known a lot of good people.

Silly us. We believe what God said. What's the point of practicing a religion you don't believe in?

I don't know what you mean by "develop spiritually", but I can tell you that I happily consider other Christians that worship in many denominations to be my Christian brothers and sisters. I spent this past weekend visiting a Baptist Church 7 hours from my home.

That's what God said...so again....why claim to be of the religion if you don't believe what it teaches?

See above.

See above.

See above.

See above.

I have no real idea what you mean by "special little snowflake". Could you elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Even this..you can't get right. That's the sad reality--you continuously misrepresent us. And then you call us delusional.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Weird. I've known a lot of Christians in the 20+ years I've been a Christian and I have known some with some issues, but I've known a lot of good people.
They are just humans therefore some of them are truly good people and some of them are not. It really has nothing to do with what religion you follow. Humans are either innately good or innately bad.
Quote:
Silly us. We believe what God said.
I could not agree more.
Quote:
What's the point of practicing a religion you don't believe in?
I see no point in doing that.
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "develop spiritually"
That's very clear to me that you don't understand what it means. It's a unique path for each of us. On a journey of spiritual growth and development your learn how to raise your consciousness, create a vision of your higher purpose, it teaches non-attachment, being transparent to others energy, it gives you tools to lift the veils of illusion, to find your truth...basically it gives you tools to balance your mind body and spirit.
Quote:
but I can tell you that I happily consider other Christians that worship in many denominations to be my Christian brothers and sisters. I spent this past weekend visiting a Baptist Church 7 hours from my home.
Ok so what? Do you consider Islams, Jews, JW, Mormons, Buddhists, Hindus or Atheists and Gays to be your brothers and sisters as well?
Quote:
That's what God said...so again....why claim to be of the religion if you don't believe what it teaches?
See above.
Quote:
I have no real idea what you mean by "special little snowflake". Could you elaborate?
Sure. Your religion teaches you that you are a special little human and god favorite if you abide and believe in what it teaches and that everyone else is a lost sheep.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Ok so what? Do you consider Islams, Jews, JW, Mormons, Buddhists, Hindus or Atheists and
Why would I? If they believe something contrary to what God said, then no--they are not my brothers and sisters.
Quote:
Gays to be your brothers and sisters as well?
This is a different category. Do you realize that? Identifying based on whom one has sex with is different than a religion.
Quote:
See above.
Sure. Your religion teaches you that you are a special little human and god favorite if you abide and believe in what it teaches and that everyone else is a lost sheep.
Actually, no--I'm not a special little human based on my obedience.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Even this..you can't get right. That's the sad reality--you continuously misrepresent us. And then you call us delusional.
I just thought it was funny, and fits with the theme of your posts.

Stop me if I am wrong, okay?

You believe that we are all born sinners. You believe that we all have to repent and believe in Jesus, and YOUR version of God to be "saved" right? You also believe you can "talk" to this version of God through prayers, no?

You also believe that this same version of God created a man from dirt, and then created a woman using his rib bone. You believe that he tricked these two into eating something, so he could then punish the world for what they did. You also believe that he then did things like flood the entire world, right?

You believe that he then sent his "son" down to Earth, so he could be born and then murdered, so we could be saved from something he caused, and knew would happen, right? And those of us who don't buy this insane reasoning are going to be sent to hell because we dared think, instead of believing something with no evidence, right?

Sorry, I am not seeing where that meme is wrong....

Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I just thought it was funny, and fits with the theme of your posts.
It wasn't accurate. But it is typical.
Quote:
Stop me if I am wrong, okay?

You believe that we are all born sinners. You believe that we all have to repent and believe in Jesus, and YOUR version of God to be "saved" right? You also believe you can "talk" to this version of God through prayers, no?
Correct.
Quote:

You also believe that this same version of God created a man from dirt, and then created a woman using his rib bone.
Correct
Quote:
You believe that he tricked these two into eating something, so he could then punish the world for what they did.
False.
Quote:
You also believe that he then did things like flood the entire world, right?
Correct
Quote:
You believe that he then sent his "son" down to Earth, so he could be born and then murdered, so we could be saved
Correct
Quote:

from something he caused,
False
Quote:
and knew would happen, right?
Correct
Quote:
And those of us who don't buy this reasoning are going to be sent to hell
Correct
Quote:
because we dared think, instead of believing something with no evidence, right?
false.
Quote:

Sorry, I am not seeing where that meme is wrong....
it also called Jesus a "zombie". That is offensive. If you would like to have an honest discussion with a Christian, using intentionally offensive language is not a good way to start.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
It wasn't accurate. But it is typical.

Correct.

Correct

False.

Correct

Correct

False

Correct

Correct

false.

it also called Jesus a "zombie". That is offensive. If you would like to have an honest discussion with a Christian, using intentionally offensive language is not a good way to start.
So the only things you take issue with are the ones where I said your God caused it? In other words, you are a typical fundamentalist, and think that all good things are God, all bad are human. This is one sheety way to look at life. I mean, it must suck thinking humans are just bags of filth who can do nothing right without the help of an invisible deity. Makes me sad people are so brainwashed to actually believe that...

Yes, it did call him a zombie. Notice, these were not my words, they were on a meme that I found funny. Although, you do think he rose from the dead..... so he kind of would be a cosmic zombie, minus the brain eating, of course.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think there is a "condition" also when people cannot distinguish between inanimate objects and human beings who are no longer living. Certainly you can distinguish between your dead grandmother and a car. You probably didn't bury your car.
No and I didn't bury my grandmother either.

The point you missed is that many people who claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus actually claim that he loves them and somehow personally interacts with them as if he's a brother or something. I mean come on. I didn't know any of my grandparents but I can at least understand how people would miss them and hope to converse with them as if they were still around. Thats wishful thinking, sort of sweet, a coping mechanism, and at least they had met the person in life.
To have the idea that a man who died 2000 years ago is personally interacting with millions of people is, well...refer to the title of the thread.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
So the only things you take issue with are the ones where I said your God caused it?
Yes. Saying God caused us to sin, or "tricked us" is incorrect. You also gave wrong info about the nature of Jesus.
Quote:

In other words, you are a typical fundamentalist, and think that all good things are God, all bad are human.
Of course. That's called "Christianity", and "Truth".
Quote:

This is one ------ way to look at life. I mean, it must suck thinking humans are just bags of filth who can do nothing right without the help of an invisible deity. Makes me sad people are so brainwashed to actually believe that...
And the other view is rather arrogant to think that we are not accountable to our Creator.
Quote:

Yes, it did call him a zombie. Notice, these were not my words, they were on a meme that I found funny. Although, you do think he rose from the dead..... so he kind of would be a cosmic zombie, minus the brain eating, of course.
You say it's not your words, but you are now defending it. I find that interesting.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:23 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Why would I? If they believe something contrary to what God said, then no--they are not my brothers and sisters.
You are one scary human. Preaching hatred and divide and then trying to say in the same breath live and let live. People like you are are real a danger on our planet. See folks what christianity teaches...judgement and the "us vs. them" mentality. Guess what Viz no matter how you want to slice and dice it those folks are your fellow human beings whether you like it or not.
Quote:
This is a different category. Do you realize that? Identifying based on whom one has sex with is different than a religion.
No it's not a separate category. You think all gays are atheists? Also it's not about gays it's about your fellow human beings.
Quote:
Actually, no--I'm not a special little human based on my obedience.
That's right you are not special in any way shape or form. You are no more special than Hitler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality