Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 AM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I say I enter a personal relationship with the author of a book I sit down to read, or the composer of the music I am hearing or playing. It is very real and can be a passionate, life-changing relationship.
Then you are using the phrase "personal relationship" to describe something other than a personal relationship. You are conflating relating to the creative output of a person with having a relationship with the person themselves. Or as a Buddhist would put it, the finger pointing at the moon, is not the moon.

Are you perchance a student of bUU? Because your MO is quite similar.

We are addressing what evangelicals typically mean by "personal relationship" with Jesus and its distinctive wonderfulness as they describe it. Even evangelicals would take umbrage to your assertion that a personal relationship with Jesus is somehow no different than being moved by a Sibelius composition. They and you both listen to music and read books, but they would suggest you do not have what they have with their invisible friend who "walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am his own, and the joys we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known". They would suggest they are on a whole other plane of life-changing two way communication and intimacy.

By your logic you have a personal relationship with the minimum wage slave who makes your latte at Dunkin Donuts simply because you relate to, appreciate and enjoy the drink. Something their spouse might want to have a word with you about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:51 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm just fine with the definition. No problem at all. BTW..."vast majority" is not a word. If you look up "vast", and look up "majority"...you will get the idea I was conveying just fine.
I explained that my noting "Texas is vast majority Christian" is different than noting, "the vast majority of Texans are Christian".
In hindsight it probably woulda been best if I put a comma in there. Matie is super-smart...she will understand my clarification just fine.
No big deal. Either way, though, it didn't change my point a bit...that anyone that is bothered by Religion will be constantly reminded of it in Texas, USA due to the vast amount of Religious people there.
The POINT...that is what matters.
If I was Texan, and had his views...I'd move. Some places are just a better "fit" for people.
I am aware that it is two words, Gldn. Your condescension aside, I said definition OR meaning of vast majority. Fact is, 53% is not a vast majority. If we are being honest, out of that 53%, the VAST MAJORITY of them will even disagree on who is Christian, or what constitutes a Christian, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I know what you were saying, I was just pointing out that you, king of "the dictionary or full meaning" guy, has trouble understanding that 53% is not a "vast majority". On top of that, you then say that the meaning doesn't matter, because you meant this or that. It was just humorous to me.

Also, I would never live in Texas because of the religious nutballs who live there, among other things. So I do get what you are saying.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
53% out of 100% is not a vast majority. You need to take a statistics class.
Funny that I was going back and forth to this site typing my last post while you typed this.
I explained it. You were citing an idiom where I wasn't using one.
In Texas, more than half the people is "vast", and it is a "majority". Of course, in the exchange I had to be my wiseguy self.
Also...you are wrong from the jump. Current stats on adults in Texas is 77% Christian, according to Pew. And the average over a middle-aged persons life is way more, I'm sure.
BTW...I did take Statistics.
NOW....what do you think of THE POINT I was making about someone that can't stand Religion living in in Megachurch, USA?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
that anyone that is bothered by Religion will be constantly reminded of it in Texas, USA due to the vast amount of Religious people there.
The POINT...that is what matters.
If I was Texan, and had his views...I'd move. Some places are just a better "fit" for people.
This is not accurate. I grew up in Houston and never had issues with religion being shoved in my face or interfering with my life. I was not constantly reminded of it. Same as when I lived in Austin. Never heard anyone discussing religion.

Perhaps if a person lived in the boonies of Texas you might find religion being shoved in your face but this is no different from anyone living in any US state boonies.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I am aware that it is two words, Gldn. Your condescension aside, I said definition OR meaning of vast majority. Fact is, 53% is not a vast majority. If we are being honest, out of that 53%, the VAST MAJORITY of them will even disagree on who is Christian, or what constitutes a Christian, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I know what you were saying, I was just pointing out that you, king of "the dictionary or full meaning" guy, has trouble understanding that 53% is not a "vast majority". On top of that, you then say that the meaning doesn't matter, because you meant this or that. It was just humorous to me.

Also, I would never live in Texas because of the religious nutballs who live there, among other things. So I do get what you are saying.
Y'all have to get over it that this world is vast, majority Religious...or you will be ever angst-ridden.
That's just the way it is, has been for over a thousand years, and is probably gonna be for long time to come.
Though, there are some decent location choices for those that feel that strongly about it.
Well...gonna get another short bit of rest before I have to go to the club. I will return to plague you later tonight!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I explained it. You were citing an idiom where I wasn't using one.
You said it not me!
Quote:
Texas, USA) it is vast majority Christian.
No 53% of people identifying as christian is not a vast majority of the people living in Texas.

Let's define vast: of very great extent or quantity; immense. "a vast plain of buffalo grass"

Synonyms:huge, extensive, expansive, broad, wide, sweeping, boundless, immeasurable, limitless, infinite; enormous, immense, great, massive, colossal, tremendous, mighty, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental; giant, towering, mountainous, titanic, Brobdingnagian; informaljumbo, mega, monster, whopping, humongous, astronomical, ginormous "a vast holding of farmland"
Quote:
In Texas, more than half the people is "vast", and it is a "majority". Of course, in the exchange I had to be my wiseguy self.
I disagree just based on the definition of vast.
Quote:
Also...you are wrong from the jump. Current stats on adults in Texas is 77% Christian, according to Pew.
Show me the link.

While you are at it I suggest you study the link that I posted. The study coincides with the US census. National polls rarely give any religious data below the national level. This study gives a picture of county-level religious affiliation nationwide. The longevity of the study helps to identify trends and track religious change.

U.S. Religion Census 1952 to 2010
Quote:
NOW....what do you think of THE POINT I was making about someone that can't stand Religion living in in Megachurch, USA?
Like I said I lived the majority of my life in Houston and a few years in Austin before moving to the Bay Area. I never once had religion in my face while growing up in Texas nor was I constantly reminded of it.

OTH out here in Northern CA I have come across more bible thumpers and JW than I have ever seen in my entire life.

Your attempt to stereotype an entire state is ridiculous. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and I would be willing to bet on the next census it will the the 3rd largest...UNFORTUNATELY!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Imagine if you went up to a friend and had a conversation like this:

You: Hey Jane, how are you? I want to tell you about a new friend I just met. They have given me such peace in life just by meeting them.
Friend: Really? Wow, sounds great, they must be special. When did you meet this person?
You: Well actually we have never met in person.
Friend: Really? So you have never spoken over the phone or e-mailed or met in person?
You: No, not really, but I have a strong connection to this person and a relationship with them.
Friend: Wow, sounds different.
You: Yeah, it's not like other relationships people have, it's special.
Friend: So just to clarify, you have never met or spoken IN person or communicated by letter and such?
You: Nope. This relationship is so different.
Friend: (Thinking to themselves....how in the world can they think they have a relationship? They haven't even met or anything else. Seems creepy to me. I think my friend is maybe having some issues about making stuff up including so called "friendships" and "relationships". Sounds like they could use some help from somebody who works with these issues.)

Christians: You have a personal relationship with YOURSELVES and YOUR THOUGHTS. Accept this and realize the whole "personal relationship with Jesus" is not only creepy but delusional. The only so called relationship you are having is with an IDEA not a REALITY.
Incredible that you are so intelligent to debunk Jesus Christ! I'm glad I'm not that bright, and have a close personal relationship with Him. I'll keep on doing so, and just have to settle for being less intelligent than those who believe they are the highest form of life in this world!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You said it not me!

No 53% of people identifying as christian is not a vast majority of the people living in Texas.

Let's define vast: of very great extent or quantity; immense. "a vast plain of buffalo grass"

Synonyms:huge, extensive, expansive, broad, wide, sweeping, boundless, immeasurable, limitless, infinite; enormous, immense, great, massive, colossal, tremendous, mighty, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental; giant, towering, mountainous, titanic, Brobdingnagian; informaljumbo, mega, monster, whopping, humongous, astronomical, ginormous "a vast holding of farmland"
I disagree just based on the definition of vast.
Show me the link.

While you are at it I suggest you study the link that I posted. The study coincides with the US census. National polls rarely give any religious data below the national level. This study gives a picture of county-level religious affiliation nationwide. The longevity of the study helps to identify trends and track religious change.

U.S. Religion Census 1952 to 2010
Like I said I lived the majority of my life in Houston and a few years in Austin before moving to the Bay Area. I never once had religion in my face while growing up in Texas nor was I constantly reminded of it.

OTH out here in Northern CA I have come across more bible thumpers and JW than I have ever seen in my entire life.

Your attempt to stereotype an entire state is ridiculous. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US and I would be willing to bet on the next census it will the the 3rd largest...UNFORTUNATELY!

Adults in Texas - Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

I believe ya...but who woulda thunk that living in California would have you around more Religion than in Texas? Wow!
And Houston...that's Megachurchville! The biggest in the nation!

I gotta get a little more rest before work.
Love ya!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Incredible that you are so intelligent to debunk Jesus Christ! I'm glad I'm not that bright, and have a close personal relationship with Him. I'll keep on doing so, and just have to settle for being less intelligent than those who believe they are the highest form of life in this world!
Nice smug "I am a special little snowflake" attitude you display all the while insulting those who don't share your views. This is typical behavior from people like you.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Nice smug "I am a special little snowflake" attitude you display all the while insulting those who don't share your views. This is typical behavior from people like you.
I find it interesting that you'd say that. Because we get the exact same attitude from certain people that tend to post anti-religious threads here daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality