Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:05 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times

Advertisements

In your opinion i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There is an active thread right now in the Relationships forum started by a woman who had a 2 year "relationship" with a man she had never met in person. They "met" online and have communicated via email, text, and phone calls. She has recently learned he is married, despite having told her otherwise. People are telling her they did not in fact have a relationship, that she shouldn't have fallen in love with someone she had never even met, that her perceptions of who he is was all her own fantasy.

It is easy to see that she was deluding herself in this "relationship".

But the personal relationship with Jesus doesn't even have email, texts, or phone calls.
Yep.

This woman fell in love with the idea of who she imagined this person to be ... helped along doubtless by some false claims. How is loving Jesus any different?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
I love lots of people I have never met. I love Bach, the music he wrote and which I play on the violin continually inspires me. Not to mention dozens of other composers, literary authors, philosophers. I have relationships with them, they still speak to me, they alter my brain waves. It is real, there is nothing creepy about it. In the same way a person can have a relationship with a religious figure of the past. Their sayings and teachings still have an impact on our lives today. What is creepy is when people deny this and pretend not to be affected by those on whose shoulders we now stand. As if having died one becomes permanently irrelevant. Dishonest to say the least.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I do not have any personal relationship with Jesus.
But, there sure are some NDErs that do...many were atheists before they
met him on the Other Side.
I do not see ANY reason for them to lie about what happened to them or what
Jesus seemed like to them...a hugely comfortable guy that exuded immense love.

It seems an atheist would love to come back and say..."There's nothing over there, ha...just blackness and weirdness....just like I thought."
But, no.

This has greatly influenced me...that he is not an 'idea'...but a beautiful brother
that is on the Other side...just like my uncle is that drops in to visit me from time to time....but, Jesus would be on a bit of a Higher Sphere...
Near dead means not dead.

Plenty of people who have actually been clinically dead who did not see jack crap.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I love lots of people I have never met. I love Bach, the music he wrote and which I play on the violin continually inspires me. Not to mention dozens of other composers, literary authors, philosophers. I have relationships with them, they still speak to me, they alter my brain waves. It is real, there is nothing creepy about it. In the same way a person can have a relationship with a religious figure of the past. Their sayings and teachings still have an impact on our lives today. What is creepy is when people deny this and pretend not to be affected by those on whose shoulders we now stand. As if having died one becomes permanently irrelevant. Dishonest to say the least.
It would be if the claims for a personal relationship with Jesus were the same as relating to historical figures. They are not. With Jesus it is supposed to be more than simple inspiration and admiration. No one claims that Bach guides them in his will for their daily lives. No one prays to Bach. No one worships / deifies Bach. No one says Bach is the only way to be reconciled to god and escape the wrath to come. There are no holy books revealing the Will of Bach.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You actually love the legacies they project....but you don't actually know the people beyond your own superficial enjoyment of said legacies.

Do you love the best coffee bean picker in the Dominican Republic? How about the 112th best?

But along the biblical lines....why do you suppose Jesus never wrote his own testament?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:48 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Not have a Personal relationship with Jesus Christ is delusional and people are only a half a person which God plans for Humans....... See Christians are reborn with the temple of Holy Spirit on their beings as God abides on His people with His spirit , which is a profound spirit with substance , as Christians are reborn in the spirit of Christ and there is a presence of God on their lives though out their lives .............Jesus was raised from the dead and it indeed alive today through His spirit ......Where the people without God cannot see Him because they do not know Him ......Most religions of the world cannot see him and some kill to appease the gods and some wish God were there and wonder why this injustice or disaster happened as where is god to them ...... But true Christians have God on their being as God abides on them

Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I do not have any personal relationship with Jesus.
But, there sure are some NDErs that do...many were atheists before they
met him on the Other Side.
I do not see ANY reason for them to lie about what happened to them or what
Jesus seemed like to them...a hugely comfortable guy that exuded immense love.

It seems an atheist would love to come back and say..."There's nothing over there, ha...just blackness and weirdness....just like I thought."
But, no.

This has greatly influenced me...that he is not an 'idea'...but a beautiful brother
that is on the Other side...just like my uncle is that drops in to visit me from time to time....but, Jesus would be on a bit of a Higher Sphere...
But we don't know what happened to them. The assumption that it was a sort of halfway to afterlife and then whoops they got recalled may be true. I don't mind if it is. But the door has to be kept open for other explanations and making it a 'They met Jesus' double certainty is to close the mind. We saw that with the atheists (I can only recall one,in fact) who had the experience and were convinced. Just raising the possibility there might be some other explanation and then he was working so hard to reject any other possibility than that it was a real preview of the afterlife.

I am watching NED's with interest, but I am not going to be talked in a Faith position about it.

P.s for one thing, I know they can't have met the Gospel Jesus, because I am certain that Jesus never existed. So any such meeting is a dream -construct. Just a personal view.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It would be if the claims for a personal relationship with Jesus were the same as relating to historical figures. They are not. With Jesus it is supposed to be more than simple inspiration and admiration. No one claims that Bach guides them in his will for their daily lives. No one prays to Bach. No one worships / deifies Bach. No one says Bach is the only way to be reconciled to god and escape the wrath to come. There are no holy books revealing the Will of Bach.
I do all that with Richard Wagner

Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Imagine if you went up to a friend and had a conversation like this:

You: Hey Jane, how are you? I want to tell you about a new friend I just met. They have given me such peace in life just by meeting them.
Friend: Really? Wow, sounds great, they must be special. When did you meet this person?
You: Well actually we have never met in person.
Friend: Really? So you have never spoken over the phone or e-mailed or met in person?
You: No, not really, but I have a strong connection to this person and a relationship with them.
Friend: Wow, sounds different.
You: Yeah, it's not like other relationships people have, it's special.
Friend: So just to clarify, you have never met or spoken IN person or communicated by letter and such?
You: Nope. This relationship is so different.
Friend: (Thinking to themselves....how in the world can they think they have a relationship? They haven't even met or anything else. Seems creepy to me. I think my friend is maybe having some issues about making stuff up including so called "friendships" and "relationships". Sounds like they could use some help from somebody who works with these issues.)

Christians: You have a personal relationship with YOURSELVES and YOUR THOUGHTS. Accept this and realize the whole "personal relationship with Jesus" is not only creepy but delusional. The only so called relationship you are having is with an IDEA not a REALITY.
So you don't understand the concept of faith.

It's not for you? Great. Don't waste your time ridiculing people for something you (supposedly) don't care about and don't believe.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality