Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 AM

741 posts, read 444,902 times

Advertisements

Sir Isaac Newton believed in God and the Bible. He also didn't think the Bible supported the Hellfire doctrine. For a man in the 1600's that was dangerous thinking. He believed that the universe must have been created. There was no other logical conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 AM

45 posts, read 42,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Sure if you take these passages as a demand that they surrender their intelligence and/or their sense of what is right then it is unlikely that intelligent people would fall for it, but then I hope you are intelligent enough not to fall for that either. That comes from twisting the Bible into a tool of power and manipulation and is certainly not what those passages mean. In fact, that would be strong evidence this is part an parcel of a legalization of Christianity turning the gospel of salvation by grace through faith right on its head to make it into a gospel of salvation by works. There is a very strong tendency to do this in religion because it is the only way to make it work as a tool of power -- have to have a way of making people do something.

But lets take a look at these passages.

There are many passages on the submission to Christ and God's will but these are no use whatsoever for the distortion of religion into a tool of power because this is logically never equal to a submission to other human beings.

submission to authority: Romans 13 -- this is talking about the secular authority which keeps the peace of the land and the Bible is certainly right to expect us to bend very far in order to do so and seek a solution to problems within such boundaries. But there are also passages which do not allow this to go so far as requiring us to go against the laws of God.

By a submission to loved ones I assume you refer to Ephesians 5:22. Using your terminology this would logically have to be voluntary and out of love for otherwise these are not loved ones and relationship has become a bit of a lie. In the actual terms of Ephesians this brings us back to the social order of a particular culture and there is little reason among Christians to think this means we must remodel our culture after an image of first century Judaism.

As for submitting yourself to other Christians according to Ephesians 5:22 there is an implicit recognition of these other as your bretheren in Christ and thus this partakes of both of the previous two. For this is both a relationship of agape/fillial love and a social contract.

Abiding by all of these are actually made easier by high intelligence rather than harder for the same reasons of subtlety and flexibility of thought. Otherwise I think you can make a strong case for this being a one-sided or even savant handicapped sort of intelligence. Then there are those with something which amounts to little more than a pretense and delusion of superiority and intelligence, which is founded more on a psychological need to dominate others. That is something which tend to be downright toxic for the whole community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In the church were I go there are about twenty physically and mental handicap people who go every Sunday and are welcome by the church , as God will accept people who make a peace with Him and God can save the highly educated and the poorly educated one to all .....Still Jesus has gifts of Holy spirit on people who are motivated to use the gifts so some intellect will be required .... Then Genius of the arts of the world may be difficult believing in a God which physically cannot see , which could be their posture in the world
Very interesting observations. Thanks for sharing! One cannot deny there is an element of works involved while living as Christian. There is work required order to obtain the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. However, works alone will not ultimately save you in the end. I believe in a healthy balance of works and the acceptance of grace. The scriptures to do teach that. I also agree that is wrong to use bible as a means to dominate people.

With that said, I've met many intelligent Christians. Who have as you say the "a subtlety and flexibility of mind". However they spend a majority centered on living a godly life.

I wonder about those who decide to spend a majority of their lives on creative pursuits rather than things of God. Not that because they are unable to, rather their thinking is on higher wavelength. I've never rubbed elbows with an Einstein or Hawkings at church. But honestly who does in their daily lives? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Sir Isaac Newton believed in God and the Bible. He also didn't think the Bible supported the Hellfire doctrine. For a man in the 1600's that was dangerous thinking. He believed that the universe must have been created. There was no other logical conclusion.
Yes, I've heard of that before although I'm not too familiar with his beliefs.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering_shygirl View Post
I wonder about those who decide to spend a majority of their lives on creative pursuits rather than things of God. Not that because they are unable to, rather their thinking is on higher wavelength.
Why do you assume that creative pursuits are not "things of God"?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not to worry, your over 8,000 posts provide ample evidence of your intellect, nate.
I agree. But then I'm on the lower end of the spectrum, looking up, so what do I know?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM

741 posts, read 444,902 times
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I've heard of that before although I'm not too familiar with his beliefs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Isaac_Newton

He didn't believe the Bible taught that there was immortal soul and he didn't believe in the trinity either. He believed that to worship Jesus as THE Almighty God was a sin. He understood that much of the Bible wouldn't be understood until the 'last days' of the world's system. He published about the end of the rule of man and tried to set a few dates but ultimately understood that to try and figure it out would be futile.

Newton was an extremely bright man and had a great love for the Almighty God. He wanted to understand the world. It's hard not to think that perhaps because of his extraordinary faith, Jehovah did guide him to understand a few secrets both of the Bible and the workings of our world. Genius, humble and with faith...I don't think a person, even in a sinful state can get much better.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Why do you assume that creative pursuits are not "things of God"?
It seems that the teachings of Christ and the apostles are centered mostly on submitting your life to God and his word. The first and greatest commandment is to love God with all your soul, heart, mind and strength. The second, loving your neighbor as yourself. This theme is then further expounded upon through out the remaining epistles. There doesn’t seem to be much leeway for those who much would rather use their lives to invent something. Simply because their brain is wired differently. I’m not trying to judge someone else’s relationship with God per say. Just curious.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Isaac_Newton

He didn't believe the Bible taught that there was immortal soul and he didn't believe in the trinity either. He believed that to worship Jesus as THE Almighty God was a sin. He understood that much of the Bible wouldn't be understood until the 'last days' of the world's system. He published about the end of the rule of man and tried to set a few dates but ultimately understood that to try and figure it out would be futile.

Newton was an extremely bright man and had a great love for the Almighty God. He wanted to understand the world. It's hard not to think that perhaps because of his extraordinary faith, Jehovah did guide him to understand a few secrets both of the Bible and the workings of our world. Genius, humble and with faith...I don't think a person, even in a sinful state can get much better.
Very interesting! I'll read up on this a little later.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
It seems that the teachings of Christ and the apostles are centered mostly on submitting your life to God and his word. The first and greatest commandment is to love God with all your soul, heart, mind and strength. The second, loving your neighbor as yourself. This theme is then further expounded upon through out the remaining epistles. There doesn’t seem to be much leeway for those who much would rather use their lives to invent something. Simply because their brain is wired differently. I’m not trying to judge someone else’s relationship with God per say. Just curious.
Do you think that learning about our reality (presuming that the reality we are a part of was either created by God, or is a part of who/what God is), and/or inventing things that can benefit the world or it's inhabitants in any way, could be a way of expressing love of God and neighbor?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
If one believes in a Creator, how can it not be honoured through the act of creation/invention? Would it not be considered a sin/waste to not use one's Creator-given talents to the best of one's ability?

Only a small, needy god, unworthy of the capital G, cares about groveling and submission.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do you think that learning about our reality (presuming that the reality we are a part of was either created by God, or is a part of who/what God is), and/or inventing things that can benefit the world or it's inhabitants in any way, could be a way of expressing love of God and neighbor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If one believes in a Creator, how can it not be honoured through the act of creation/invention? Would it not be considered a sin/waste to not use one's Creator-given talents to the best of one's ability?

Only a small, needy god, unworthy of the capital G, cares about groveling and submission.
Great minds (geniuses or not), think alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality