Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Great minds (geniuses or not), think alike.
I was told in 10th grade, at 14, after taking an IQ test that I was a "near genius." You probably are too. So, we might as well just round it off, like simple math, and accept the label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:19 AM

45 posts, read 42,387 times
Quote:
Do you think that learning about our reality (presuming that the reality we are a part of was either created by God, or is a part of who/what God is), and/or inventing things that can benefit the world or it's inhabitants in any way, could be a way of expressing love of God and neighbor?
Yes I do. Assuming this person believes in Gods existence. Which doesn't seem to be the case of those in 20th or 21st century.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:20 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that creative pursuits are not "things of God"?
Really good question. Music, art, writing, architecture?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:42 AM

741 posts, read 444,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Isaac_Newton

He didn't believe the Bible taught that there was immortal soul and he didn't believe in the trinity either. He believed that to worship Jesus as THE Almighty God was a sin. He understood that much of the Bible wouldn't be understood until the 'last days' of the world's system. He published about the end of the rule of man and tried to set a few dates but ultimately understood that to try and figure it out would be futile.

Newton was an extremely bright man and had a great love for the Almighty God. He wanted to understand the world. It's hard not to think that perhaps because of his extraordinary faith, Jehovah did guide him to understand a few secrets both of the Bible and the workings of our world. Genius, humble and with faith...I don't think a person, even in a sinful state can get much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering_shygirl View Post
Very interesting! I'll read up on this a little later.
It is very interesting indeed. One of the other things he believed that came from the Bible is that the world was going to be around forever and that humans will live on it forever in a paradise. One thing that really blows my mind is that he believed there would be a huge preaching campaign just before the change from a wicked world to a paradise under divine rule. He might not have had everything right as far as dates. But wow I feel he was so close on everything else! The man was indeed a genius but his humility, revered respect for the One True God, courage and faith is what makes him beloved IMHO.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Yes I do. Assuming this person believes in Gods existence. Which doesn't seem to be the case of those in 20th or 21st century.
Quoting Freak: [citation needed].

But, even if it were true that no one who was learning about our reality or inventing things was a God-believer, that doesn't change the fact that, by virtue of the presumption that God is responsible for the existence of our reality, then doing those things are the "things of God".

Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Can someone with such an advanced level of intelligence possibly submit themselves to the God of the bible? The common thread with these individuals is an extreme obsession with their craft. Also they might believe in an “intelligent design”, but not biblical principles. I’m not sure if God would appreciate someone giving most of their lives to their craft, but not to Him. However they have impacted how we see and understand this world. Some of the scientific discoveries on how vast and complex this universe can be has helped strengthened my faith in God’s existence. Then you have people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who have revolutionized our lives through technological innovation. I wonder if a believer who is endowed with a genius mind can make that same impact in the world and still be right with God?
I'm pilot.

Where have all the Pine Siskins gone?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Can someone with such an advanced level of intelligence possibly submit themselves to the God of the bible? The common thread with these individuals is an extreme obsession with their craft. Also they might believe in an “intelligent design”, but not biblical principles. I’m not sure if God would appreciate someone giving most of their lives to their craft, but not to Him. However they have impacted how we see and understand this world. Some of the scientific discoveries on how vast and complex this universe can be has helped strengthened my faith in God’s existence. Then you have people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who have revolutionized our lives through technological innovation. I wonder if a believer who is endowed with a genius mind can make that same impact in the world and still be right with God?
Yes - to answer you directly. There are all types of people with varying abilities and intellects in the family of God.

What we can't control is how others perceive us. Often certain Christians are judged regardless of who we are and what we have accomplished.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I'm pilot.

Where have all the Pine Siskins gone?
Loooooooong time passing....

They've joined Pete Seeger in heaven's hootenany.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Probably everyone that has worked at the Vatican Observatory. You can find some of their lectures on youtube.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Sir Isaac Newton believed in God and the Bible. He also didn't think the Bible supported the Hellfire doctrine. For a man in the 1600's that was dangerous thinking. He believed that the universe must have been created. There was no other logical conclusion.
He also dabbled in alchemy.

He was a product of his times, which were superstitious as heck, and not just about god or religion.

Intelligence is compartmentalized ... and is different from wisdom. Intelligence is like a computer with a high clock speed -- useless without good software.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality