Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM

741 posts, read 444,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He also dabbled in alchemy.

He was a product of his times, which were superstitious as heck, and not just about god or religion.

Intelligence is compartmentalized ... and is different from wisdom. Intelligence is like a computer with a high clock speed -- useless without good software.
Up to the 1960's the smoking of cigarettes doctors said was good for our health. We can't be right about everything when we don't have all the facts. Just because a person is wrong about a few things doesn't mean they are wrong about everything. I mean you still go to the doctor when your really sick right? You don't let the misinformation of the past about cigarettes stop you from going to a doctor I hope.

He is a product of his times and we are a product of his times too. We wouldn't have progressed in our knowledge the world without Newton's studies. If Newton was still alive today, I am quite sure like us, he would have found alchemy to be a dud as well. It's not like Newton was trying to purposely deceive people with alchemy. He just didn't know it was never going to do what he thought it would do. It wouldn't be for another 200 hundred years after Newton that people would start really understanding the atom and chemistry. Newton was on the right track with alchemy but was missing the atom piece of the puzzle to turn alchemy into chemistry we know of today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
There was no other logical conclusion.
No...there wouldn't have been in those times. Fortunately, we have moved on and progressed, well, some of us have. Yet other still desperately cling to ridiculous superstitious beliefs.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No...there wouldn't have been in those times. Fortunately, we have moved on and progressed, well, some of us have. Yet other still desperately cling to ridiculous superstitious beliefs.
Ah yes. The idea that luck, chance or an accident is the creator of all things....so 'progressive'....I call it the 'Lucky Rabbit's Foot Theory'. What was that about superstition?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Ah yes. The idea that luck, chance or an accident is the creator of all things....so 'progressive'....
Now don't show your ignorant old thing!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Ah yes. The idea that luck, chance or an accident is the creator of all things....so 'progressive'....I call it the 'Lucky Rabbit's Foot Theory'. What was that about superstition?
Quote:
Now don't show your ignorant old thing!
You're using the word ignorant incorrectly.

I have accumulated a vast knowledge of both the Bible and scientific theories. Like Newton. However, judging by your response you have only limited knowledge of one subject. My guess would be you think in such a way because at some point someone told you that you can't have knowledge of both in the same brain. Someone told you that you must accept all of one and reject all the other. That's a lie.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
You're using the word ignorant incorrectly.
Yes, I do make typos...but I could have been using the word 'you're' incorrectly and not 'ignorant'. However, you know what was meant otherwise you wouldn't have brought it up.

Quote:
I have accumulated a vast knowledge of both the Bible and scientific theories.
Really?? Your posts don't bear that out!

Quote:
Like Newton. However, judging by your response you have only limited knowledge of one subject. My guess would be you think in such a way because at some point someone told you that you can't have knowledge of both in the same brain. Someone told you that you must accept all of one and reject all the other. That's a lie.
The lie is your Bible. Would you like to take me on head-to-head?

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:

The lie is your Bible. Would you like to take me on head-to-head?
Sure I'll take you on. You only need to answer one question and it must be answered yes or no.

Ready?

Where you there at the creation of the Earth?

Think carefully. We don't anymore typos.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There are certainly many intelligent people who align themselves with some form of Abrahamic religion.

I'm curious about your definition of "submit themselves to the God of the bible."

If you mean they believe in an inerrant, literal bible - I doubt many truly intelligent, educated, rational people would say they do.
Indeed, this is the question.

If the definition is BLIND FAITH and DOES NO WRONG and be ENTITLED to do as God pleases, then I would steadfastly say NOT possible for an INTELLIGENT BEING to fall into this pit.

If it is to believe in a higher power that is LOVE, MERCY, JUSTICE and COMPASSION--YES I would think that is possible.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Sure I'll take you on. You only need to answer one question and it must be answered yes or no.

Ready?

Think carefully. We don't anymore typos.
He got you bad Rafius!!!!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Ready?

I was thinking on a more intellectual level. You provide verifiable evidence that the Bible is true and I'll provide verifiable evidence that it isn't. Are you up for it?

To answer your question. No...were you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality