Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's not the same when one bases their life, truth and faith on themselves, instead of the power of God. Atheists and other non-believers declare in their own wisdom, "God is not real, therefore, one's faith is in imaginary things." But, those who truly know and are born again in the Holy Spirit, know a new power, grace and truth working in them --- beyond their own.

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit."
1 Cor 2:14
Yes, 1 Cor 2:14 is another of those passages that have equivalents in cults. Like Psalms 14:1, outsiders are 'fools', insiders are special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:40 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
It's a good question -- Only God knows the heart and how many of the world's 2.6+ billion professing Christians, are truly born-again believers. Paradoxically, the answer isn't found in whether an individual has 'sufficient faith or religion,' but, on whether God reigns as Lord of the individual's life. Along these lines, many know that Jesus IS Lord, but, only those who know Jesus AS THEIR personal Lord and Savior, have eternal life.
It may have been a good question, but that answer was totally lacking as to what was asked.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! I see! So when the Christians bombard us with the Lee Strobels of this world smugly proclaiming 'I used to be an atheist until....', we can say to them....'No. You never were a true atheist to begin with.'
And that's a true statement because at the time Strobel purports he was an atheist he was actually a pastor in a church according to reports I read. So that makes him either a liar or a hypocrite. Either way he loses. Another black eye for Christianity.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
It's a good question -- Only God knows the heart and how many of the world's 2.6+ billion professing Christians, are truly born-again believers. Paradoxically, the answer isn't found in whether an individual has 'sufficient faith or religion,' but, on whether God reigns as Lord of the individual's life. Along these lines, many know that Jesus IS Lord, but, only those who know Jesus AS THEIR personal Lord and Savior, have eternal life.
That would be only about 5% of professing Christians since Jesus said wide is the gate that leads to destruction.

Doesn't that make Jesus the biggest failure in the history of man--a guy who could only keep 5% of his flock from going to hell despite him bragging that no one can yank his sheep out of his father's hands???

Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::

The ONLY way God intervenes here physically is through other human beings. Is that a fact, or your opinion?

The only direct interventions are spiritually in our heart and mind (consciousness). Is that a fact, or your opinion?

You are continuously encountering others who present ways of understanding God and your relationship to Him. You seem deaf to them in your frustration and anger so you are missing any possibilities to hear His actual answers for you.

You want God to do all the work of finding Him among the many beliefs ABOUT Him out there. Well, after all, he is all powerful. Why is he so incapable of being clear?

As long as your mind is closeted off by your frustration and anger at the many absurd beliefs ABOUT God, you will miss the truth when you encounter it. But of course, your beliefs about god are not absurd. Right?
See my comments above.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes.

If the OP didn't want comments, he/she should not have posted on a public forum.
For once we agree. Remember that you said that when you post.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Mystic: The ONLY way God intervenes here physically is through other human beings.

The only direct interventions are spiritually in our heart and mind (consciousness).
I understand that may be what some
*think,
*believe, or
*that is the only exp they have had personally, or
*they have been convinced of this because of what a person they respected said or wrote.

However, I will say here...those 2 'only' sentences are not true.
And that did not come from a thought, belief, lack of personal exp or what anyone wrote or said.

Could I have said that any other way? I dunno...I thought that was as respectful as I could be.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:11 PM

63,824 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I understand that may be what some
*think,
*believe, or
*that is the only exp they have had personally, or
*they have been convinced of this because of what a person they respected said or wrote.

However, I will say here...those 2 'only' sentences are not true.
And that did not come from a thought, belief, lack of personal exp or what anyone wrote or said.

Could I have said that any other way? I dunno...I thought that was as respectful as I could be.

You do not need to worry about being respectful because it is clearly in your very nature, Miss H. My eldest daughter is a Reiki healer so I understand that perspective. She attributes her successes outward to God as well, but I am inclined to attribute them to her gift in accordance with my views about our Dominion on earth. God operates THROUGH us, IMO. YMMV.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! I see! So when the Christians bombard us with the Lee Strobels of this world smugly proclaiming 'I used to be an atheist until....', we can say to them....'No. You never were a true atheist to begin with.'
It is not possible to be an ex-Christian. Once you belong to Christ, it’s forever. It is possible to be an ex-atheist, no?

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It is not possible to be an ex-Christian. Once you belong to Christ, it’s forever. It is possible to be an ex-atheist, no?
jimmie, once we don't believe in god we are atheist.

whatever can be said about atheist can be said about theist. you know, we are all people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality