Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post

I never said or implied that, no. Atheism is not a person, for starters. Nor is it sensible to compare plain "atheism" with "religious indoctrination!!" I'd say, however, that anti-theism is dogmatic at times and its subscribers demand people follow certain rules (however unspoken) blindly, and that would be a good comparison to religious indoctrination.
What are the "certain rules" that so called "anti theists" demand people follow blindly?

As to the assertion that it's a "good" comparison to religious indoctrination I vehemently disagree. Mostly on the terms that atheism isn't all that organized in and of itself, has few organized meetings, no book comparing to the bible, no schools that I know of and does not have incentive to proselytize to any real degree. That type of thing is in it's infancy and only time will tell if it ever becomes like a religion in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, a source that says there is one god, two gods, Jesus is separate from God, Jesus is God. A book with a section written by a man who had been dead for 100 years. I could write a very long list pointing out how unreliable the NT is.

Of course not, no one is arguing this silly little non sequitur.

But you are so good with them.
its not non sequitur at all. You need non sequitur to minimize whatever it is your faith needs you to be minimizing. christianity teaches love compassion and understanding. those parts are sound teachings.
the jesus rising and going into heaven (what did he use to go into heaven) is the false parts.

it needs to grow up, but it has parts that are just fine. and parts ... not so much.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What are the "certain rules" that so called "anti theists" demand people follow blindly?

As to the assertion that it's a "good" comparison to religious indoctrination I vehemently disagree. Mostly on the terms that atheism isn't all that organized in and of itself, has few organized meetings, no book comparing to the bible, no schools that I know of and does not have incentive to proselytize to any real degree. That type of thing is in it's infancy and only time will tell if it ever becomes like a religion in that regard.
two pieces of evidence suggest that some atheist do act like some theist. And since its the people that make religion we can say its people that make atheism.

certain atheist treat atheism like a religion. They follow the dogma that religion is so dangerous that we need to deny everything, no matter how valid, to keep it out of the hands of theist. they suggest we blindly follow that teaching or just get out of their way so they can have at people that don't think like them.

thats religious looking. "anti-religion", like north korea's leader, is almost the "god" they follow.

secondly, if we list the personality types from institutions that study human behavior, you will see that both camps will have the same personality types in them. We can then compare personality types to expression of beliefs and see if they match observations. ei: how will concrete, leanear, black/white thinkers express a theist belief and a atheist belief.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In the meantime, the Bible is unreliable and that is the best evidence against Christianity that I know.
Quote:
A concession I'm happy to see. Because it means you have no evidence against Christianity, since if only a few defining points in the bible are true we have a confirmation of Christianity on our hands! I'd say, that if there is a god and Jesus was his son who was crucified but rose on the third day and ascended to heaven where some/all of us will eventually join him, then that's Christianity right there.
Quote:
Circular logic based on unreliable sources, and ignoring how probability works.
Are you under the impression somehow that this paragraph was an attempt to prove Christianity was true? Because it wasn't. All I was saying was that even granting for the sake of argument that the bible is unreliable, it doesn't follow that therefore Christianity in and of itself isn't true. If only the aforementioned few details are true, then that's Christianity. The rest of the modern-day bible could be outright false and therefore certainly unreliable, and it wouldn't mean Christianity was false.

So yeah. No evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well, recently, one of them told me here that an atheist is someone who doesn't even believe there might be a god. That saying there might be a god is only something a theist or agnostic would do. But generally speaking, anti-theists want the rest of us to join them in opposing theism and if we should dare to defend it as a rational option for people we're not "real atheists". We might even be accused of being a Christian spy! There's more, but you get the idea.

Quote:
It doesn't matter that atheism in and of itself isn't comparable to theism/Christianity (although one could easily argue just how many of these features flow from theism in and of itself). I see similarities between anti-theism and religious extremism regardless.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Irony overload.
Strange, Transponder often argues against both positions.
So all gods are equally probable?
The EXISTENCE of God does NOT depend on ANY of the myriad descriptions or religions ABOUT God. It is an entirely empirical issue that has nothing to do with human speculation. Our Reality is the closest to a God that is empirically established, so we start there as our default God. Its attributes certainly seem to meet the minimum criteria for God relative to us.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The EXISTENCE of God does NOT depend on ANY of the myriad descriptions or religions ABOUT God. It is an entirely empirical issue that has nothing to do with human speculation. Our Reality is the closest to a God that is empirically established, so we start there as our default God. Its attributes certainly seem to meet the minimum criteria for God relative to us.
what don't they understand about this mystic?

its like the word "GOD" is a trigger for them. They over react to the letters "GOD" and completely ignore what is being said.

an no-god for bid we reply with the same tone they they answer us. we become the devil incarnate.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:57 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its not non sequitur at all. You need non sequitur to minimize whatever it is your faith needs you to be minimizing. christianity teaches love compassion and understanding. those parts are sound teachings.
the jesus rising and going into heaven (what did he use to go into heaven) is the false parts.

it needs to grow up, but it has parts that are just fine. and parts ... not so much.
Of course it is a non sequitur. It may be a (stolen) diamond in a pile of pig manure, but no one is arguing the diamond is also pig manure.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Are you under the impression somehow that this paragraph was an attempt to prove Christianity was true?
No. I am pointing out your claim is in the Bible only. Using the Bible to argue the Bible is circular.

Quote:
Because it wasn't. All I was saying was that even granting for the sake of argument that the bible is unreliable, it doesn't follow that therefore Christianity in and of itself isn't true.
True, as for many other arguments, it COULD be true DESPITE the evidence. But it is still evidence.

Quote:
If only the aforementioned few details are true, then that's Christianity. The rest of the modern-day bible could be outright false and therefore certainly unreliable, and it wouldn't mean Christianity was false.
For historians, the police, and courts of law it usually means X is not true.

Quote:
So yeah. No evidence.
Your special pleading has been noted.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Special pleading

Special pleading is a form of fallacious argument that involves an attempt to cite something as an exception to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exception. The lack of criticism may be a simple oversight or an application of a double standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The EXISTENCE of God does NOT depend on ANY of the myriad descriptions or religions ABOUT God.
It was YOUR argument I took to it's logical conclusion. Do not blame me if you make contradictory arguments.

Quote:
It is an entirely empirical issue that has nothing to do with human speculation.
Agreed, although Vic and the religious (including yourself) argue otherwise. Apparently contradictory experiences that suffer from cognitive bias are also credible evidence.

Quote:
Our Reality is the closest to a God that is empirically established, so we start there as our default God. Its attributes certainly seem to meet the minimum criteria for God relative to us.
So you keep asserting, yet never provide any evidence for this. The god of the gaps argument, yes, but never any evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality