Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not sure what you mean by literal Jesus, but I agree about repentance and atonement. That is the message of Christianity.
I am not even sure if yo are a literalist. be that as it may, "literal jesus" means a man named jesus literally died, rose, and flew into heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am not even sure if yo are a literalist. be that as it may, "literal jesus" means a man named jesus literally died, rose, and flew into heaven.

jimmie buys that one.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yes, I believe in a literal Jesus, who died for the sins of the world. You don’t?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 AM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
This is a discusssion abut Chrstianity, right? Regardless, you may be wrong about who is intelligent.
It doesn't matter if it's a discussion about christianity. Reading scripture from a book that a group of people don't believe in, is not an effective tool when you are discussing a topic with those people. Atheists here have often pointed out beliefs and statements made by prominent atheists. I haven't seen that change any of your beliefs.

In these discussions, I often think of a famous line from the film "Inherit The Wind" -- "The bible is a book. It's a good book. But it's not the only book". There is wisdom in the New Testament. But in most cases, the wisdom there is found in our religions and societies, as well.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All stories are symbolic. Even many children understand this. Religion is man's way of trying to understand God. What does "logic" have to do with reading anything of this sort? The stories have endured which proves that they are true. One of the foundations of western civilization. How we interpret them is up to each one of us.

The vast majority of fans in the west who share the love of the same stories you love are also Bible believing Christians. I'm referring to the popular fiction, sci-fi, and fantasy stories you love.

Anti-theists here spend so much time discussing the religious stories, but they don't seem to offer any real ideas about them. They claim to be humanistic or whatever, yet they offer no evidence that they even care about what this all means. They just want to see the death of something (religion) that will never die, since it is about something mysterious we will probably never understand and may only grow more mysterious the more we learn about the universe. It seems insane to me. Insanity is the repeated action of something meaningless with the same result each time, or however that saying goes.
First bolded: No. The fact that the stories are still told may -- at most -- prove that they had some wisdom. But that doesn't at all prove that they are "true".

Second bolded: And yet you keep explaining to us something that you admit you will never understand.

Third bolded: So when we repeatedly reject your stories and premises, and you keep regurgitating the same stuff, you're being insane? Okay.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All stories are symbolic. Even many children understand this. ...
And one more thing regarding this post:

As we have discussed repeatedly, Christians cannot agree upon which things in the bible are factual and which things are symbolic.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It doesn't matter if it's a discussion about christianity. Reading scripture from a book that a group of people don't believe in, is not an effective tool when you are discussing a topic with those people. Atheists here have often pointed out beliefs and statements made by prominent atheists. I haven't seen that change any of your beliefs.

In these discussions, I often think of a famous line from the film "Inherit The Wind" -- "The bible is a book. It's a good book. But it's not the only book". There is wisdom in the New Testament. But in most cases, the wisdom there is found in our religions and societies, as well.
You can use whatever source you want to make your point. I will do the same.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe in a literal Jesus, who died for the sins of the world. You don’t?
that depends on how you ask me. "literal" jesus, there is no point in arguing that a man named "something" lived and did some of those things. I have no problem with jesusas as existing.

jesus didn't come to die for our sins, he is celebrating the awakening of an animal. the lesson of the cross was to show that "keep learning, the body will become irrelevant".

do you believe he literally rose from the dead and his body literally was taken to heaven?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
More straw. We are not being dishonest when we doubt if you are an atheist, we doubt because you use Christian arguments and behave like a Christian. To misrepresent that as a tactic is just dishonest.

And your arguments have been refuted. You have even refuted yourself at times.
What is "behaving like a Christian?" Behaving morally? That is not exclusive to the Christian faith. Christians are the only people who have a moral code.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
You can use whatever source you want to make your point. I will do the same.
Then your point will probably fall on deaf ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality