Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 06:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And who decides who is “intelligent”?
jeeze man ... thats easy ... if you agree ... you are insightful and intelligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,781,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't a question of somebody deciding someone else's intelligence.

But people of lower intelligence can't think deeply about a topic as complex as religion.
But perhaps they can understand God quite well. Jesus said this man was wise.

Luke 18

The Pharisee and the Publican
9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be [f]merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
What brought most christians to their faith originally was simply that their parents got them into the habit.
The sun and moon represent our parents. The point is that sometimes we have to find the faith on our own rather than look to another person's. That is why the truly faithful are descendants of Abraham's seed. Abraham left his father. In other words, left the "temple" of religion.

That's why I am free to worship God in any man-made temple. I left the spiritual temple behind. Jesus broke the veil for anyone who has ears to hear.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:

Luke 18

9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be [f]merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

As that wise philosopher and noted wise man, Groucho Marx, once said, "you have a lot to be modest about."

Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 PM

50,780 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

Luke 18

Quoting scripture is meaningless to an atheist. You just wasted my time.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The sun and moon represent our parents. The point is that sometimes we have to find the faith on our own rather than look to another person's. That is why the truly faithful are descendants of Abraham's seed. Abraham left his father. In other words, left the "temple" of religion.

That's why I am free to worship God in any man-made temple. I left the spiritual temple behind. Jesus broke the veil for anyone who has ears to hear.
Same as above to you. Telling an atheist about Abraham, etc., is a waste of your time and mine.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Same as above to you. Telling an atheist about Abraham, etc., is a waste of your time and mine.
It's just a story. I'm sorry that you can't grasp that concept.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I don't care to hear stories. Most of us atheists are uninterested in hearing your bible stories. Most of us heard them in Sunday school when we were children. And frankly, you're not half as good a teacher as my old Sunday school teachers.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
jeeze man ... thats easy ... if you agree ... you are insightful and intelligent.
On that I agree.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:

Luke 18

Taking all the toxic religious bias out of that little parable (which Jesus didn't say because it is only in Luke, so Luke made it up), a human equivalent would be those who do not parade about declaring how thankful they are that they are wise, and learned against those who beat their breats because they are dim.

The dim should ask 'help me to be learned' and the wise will say 'I will help'. because you won't get it (or any exaltation, other than conceit about ones' Faith -based dimness - which we get a bit of) from a god, of course. Nor a religion.

Quote:
I get it - and I'm happy that you found what suits you. I think you could do better - and you may, in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality