Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
So you say. But again, if you can dispute with me whether or not I believe in a god, I can dispute with you whether or not you're having these "doubts".

I don't recall ever making a positive argument for the Christian god And yeah, sooooo many Christians walk around saying "I don't believe in a god"
We've known a few, but they never manage to keep it up for very long. Perhaps you really are an atheist, but, as you see, everyone is puzzled. It isn't anything to do with the argument, but we are just wondering.

Quote:
So you've made a claim here. What do you have on offer to support it?
The evidence has already been offered - an innate and apparently unconscious theist mindset in all your arguments. It completely cuts across an (apparently) indisputable declaration that you do not believe in any gods. Honesty would at least have you acknowledge that we have reason to be puzzled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No one should accept this. We don't accept it from the theists, and I'm not going to accept it from you. Until you can actually give some of this evidence, it's just posturing on your part.
That's irrelevant to the point. Whether atheists have good, bad, or indifferent evidence does not alter the fact that atheism as such does not claim to know absolutely that there is no god. This is just the way it is and if you were rally an atheist, you would know this. You would also know that the Christian mindset is completely different because they operate on Faith - which means that they 'Know' though Faith, not evidence. Again, you really do not seem to have any kind of atheist head.

As to evidence, that the universe and world does not seem to be designed, that a god without origin is counter intuitive, more so even that 'something from nothing'. Life is perfectly explainable without a god and - as discussed extensively - the world does not exhibit any valid trace of a god operating here.

This is only to deal with any kinda -god; when we get onto Biblegod, we are sure - the Bible is not reliable and the claims in it are not believable. When we say 'There is no God', that's the one we mean. And again, I'm finding myself wondering why - if you really were an atheist, you don't know all this. Why don't you ever anticipate an atheist argument but come up with some footling Christian argument that gets knocked down and you go into denial and deprecation mode? In fact, why do you act like a Christian all the time, tight down to you hair -roots?

Oh, and of course (your posts are so Theistically wrong on every point) it doesn't matter a damn' whether you accept it or not; that's the way it is. You have this innate theistic mindset that has you automatically thinking that, if you deny everything, that means your claim is True and everyone shoul;d see it. This only works with someone who believes in God as a given and that God is the 'Voice in their head'. This means that you think ou have divine rightness which is as much a given as the existence of God, if you just deny everything. It's an innate Theist mindset that reduces your 'atheism' to just habitually saying that you are. Everything you do - even without thinking - shouts 'God -believer'.

Quote:
I'll see your "You emanate dishonesty and the proof is your posts" and raise you a "YOU'RE dishonest and the proof is YOUR posts"
Ah, The very familiar 'endgame' of a theist apologist (which you have been from the first) -
(1) argue
(2) cheat
(3) be cheekily denialist.

You are at stage 3. You have been shown rather clever as well as prolix, but you got caught out in some fallacies and wrong arguments straight away, and got trapped into repetitive denial. The it got onto cheating by trying to score cheap irrelevant points, and now you think you can just scrape a draw with 'same to you with brass knobs on' sauce. It will do you no good.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-08-2019 at 10:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Peasant, you're saying I should be nice to you for what reason? Secular humanism? LOL!!!

You know what secular humanism means?

There is no GOD!!!!

LOL!!!!

Cry. No one cares. There are no consequences for me!!!! I can KILL who I chose since I am an "accredited investor."
That would make you a very sad (and possibly psychotic) man, if that were true. But it isn't. The claim that one would become a mass murderer if they din't believe in a god, is an arguing - point; a Christian apologetic ploy. It has no real validity as an argument.

Quote:
No, it's just that this lifestyle is a temporary illusion. It's simply not sustainable. Harming others is a return to normality.

It's coming back with a vengeance!
No, the religious lifestyle is the illusion. We lead secular lives, with religious conventions plastered over the top, so religion can take the credit for anything good and blame anything bad on disbelief. It's a dirty scam and always has been.

Quote:
Everything is great when you think you have a jar full of cookies. Maybe not so much when you realize there is nothing in there, but crumbs.
Well, you can always go into denial and swear that the jar is full when it's just crumbs. That Faith in Christianity when it has actually Nothing much but crumbs.Oh yes, of course there are million and millions believing their jars are full, but they ain't.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Losing your faith in Christianity to some would be a way of discovering that you have inner resources that don't require the community of an organized religion.

Alternately, someone gaining faith in Christianity (or returning) would be a way for a person to realize that he actually does find strength in other people and being in community.

The point is that both decisions are psychologically healthy for the person making them. And he should also realize that he should not condemn someone else for doing the opposite.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Losing your faith in Christianity to some would be a way of discovering that you have inner resources that don't require the community of an organized religion.

Alternately, someone gaining faith in Christianity (or returning) would be a way for a person to realize that he actually does find strength in other people and being in community.

The point is that both decisions are psychologically healthy for the person making them. And he should also realize that he should not condemn someone else for doing the opposite.
religion is like a boat to reach yonder shore.

some burn the boat when they reach yonder shore, they are close, but not quite there. Some walk away. Others may push the boat back into the water for others to use. And fewer still, are standing around looking, a bit confused, back at people gesturing as if they are drowning. They are confused because there is no water. Or boat?

There are even people swimming in the water watching, understanding, predicting, what the people are doing on that coastline but are still struggling in the choppy water.

There is no one answer. The only thing I can say is that burning all the boats doesn't make sense at our stage of evolution. Teaching people it is a boat and how to sail it seems logical.

yeah ozzy, I don't agree with everything you say, and you drift (lol, I'd never drift ...lmao )but you walk a fairly solid path. I guess I have to read so many papers that can I follow you. So you are alright in my book.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That would make you a very sad (and possibly psychotic) man, if that were true. But it isn't. The claim that one would become a mass murderer if they din't believe in a god, is an arguing - point; a Christian apologetic ploy. It has no real validity as an argument.

No, the religious lifestyle is the illusion. We lead secular lives, with religious conventions plastered over the top, so religion can take the credit for anything good and blame anything bad on disbelief. It's a dirty scam and always has been.

Well, you can always go into denial and swear that the jar is full when it's just crumbs. That Faith in Christianity when it has actually Nothing much but crumbs.Oh yes, of course there are million and millions believing their jars are full, but they ain't.
not to bad trans.

we live our lives with the invention of our own tools. And sometimes our thumbs pay a hefty price. But that doesn't mean we stop inventing.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We've known a few, but they never manage to keep it up for very long. Perhaps you really are an atheist, but, as you see, everyone is puzzled. It isn't anything to do with the argument, but we are just wondering.

The evidence has already been offered - an innate and apparently unconscious theist mindset in all your arguments. It completely cuts across an (apparently) indisputable declaration that you do not believe in any gods. Honesty would at least have you acknowledge that we have reason to be puzzled.
I am really trying to understand trans.

All he seems to be saying is that we need to apply the same rigor to our statement of belief about god too.

that when we say "its an evil god", that statement needs to be run through the same scientific method we run "its a loving god."

What is wrong with that and where am I misunderstanding him, in your opinion?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
religion is like a boat to reach yonder shore.

some burn the boat when they reach yonder shore, they are close, but not quite there. Some walk away. Others may push the boat back into the water for others to use. And fewer still, are standing around looking, a bit confused, back at people gesturing as if they are drowning. They are confused because there is no water. Or boat?

There are even people swimming in the water watching, understanding, predicting, what the people are doing on that coastline but are still struggling in the choppy water.

There is no one answer. The only thing I can say is that burning all the boats doesn't make sense at our stage of evolution. Teaching people it is a boat and how to sail it seems logical.

yeah ozzy, I don't agree with everything you say, and you drift (lol, I'd never drift ...lmao )but you walk a fairly solid path. I guess I have to read so many papers that can I follow you. So you are alright in my book.
I'm pretty good when it comes to telling other people how to behave.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm pretty good when it comes to telling other people how to behave.
lmao ... aint we all.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM

The sad part for those who leave Christianity is that they have often just lost sight of what brought them to their faith originally. They get so caught up in only seeing the politics of the church, that they start to mistake the walls of the church with the spiritual walls in the human heart, even their own.

"I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality