Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 08:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally, I think going from a conservative believer to an unbeliever is more about a change of a certain point of view they used to have. A rebellion against something.
My rebellion was against believing in something that made no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That's a very good way to phrase it.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally, I think going from a conservative believer to an unbeliever is more about a change of a certain point of view they used to have. A rebellion against something.
Another 'You're just angry at God' dig I think.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Amen. Compare these two explanations for the existence of Jesus. Which one seems like the motive of our Father who IS agape love?

God was so angry at what his two newly created humans did that He needed to subject His Son to a barbaric blood sacrifice by a brutal scourging and a savage crucifixion to appease His Holy wrath and forgive humanity for being what He created them to be.

God was so disappointed that humanity was NOT producing love for God and each other and seemed unlikely to do so any time soon so He sent His Son to teach us and do it perdectly for us but we killed Him.

Given that to this day we keep killing each other and other horrendous things like that, clearly we needed Jesus then and we still do now.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Frankly, neither of them make a lot of sense. Given the love of blood sacrifice in the OT, a god that does one Final one to provide a loophole in Sin -death, has some sense.

The other that simply dismisses the god of the OT and has a god that would use a roman crucifixion (evidently for rebellion) to send us a lesson about love. That seems laughable.

I needn't even address the plonking claim about a god or the evident inability to read the NT. But then, few Christians seem to be able to do so.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Most threads on the Religion forum are about general subjects. Just look at the titles. They aren't "I" or "me".

Of course the comments will be personal, but that's not what I'm talking about. This is again about starting threads revolving specifically around the OP him or herself. "Look at me".
When the word "I" or "me" are used, isn't that called firsthand account? You may not prefer that type of point of view.

I think some of us rant and rebel in a more vocal way than others.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
People who experience a big change in their religious views often find those changes pretty traumatic. The ones that seem to have it the worst are those who were fundamentalist/conservative/evangelical Christians who later became completely unbelievers. It seems understandable that such a person might want to share his story and see if others had similar experiences.
which is fine. But when they don't understand their personal anger being thrown in the face of everybody around them isn't right either, I don't have to pretend that "their choices" were nothing more than them being wrong. I don't have to play games in discussing how their parents were wrong and just because they love their parents and can't clos the gap between "I love my parents" and "they were wrong" doesn't mean i have to join them in their all out assault.

and, to be quite frank, after the age of 25? if a person believes in dude dying, waking up, and flying away after the age of 25 that's on them. These people need to look at the grieving processes and understand where they are in it. if they are even in it.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:17 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I was reading about parents who lose their faith after losing a child. Gradually they just drift away from God and feel no attempt on God's part to bring them back. They finally come to the realization that in reality it was them reaching out 100% of the way to God. The good feelings they were getting from believing God was intervening and taking care of them was just a purely subjective emotional experience--nothing supernaturally spiritual about it. I found the same thing, even though I have never lost a child.
I live close to Parkland where 17 people were shot to death in their school. I think I read that one Jewish father lost his faith in god after his daughter was murdered. His faith it seemed was on shaky ground when his brother died a few months before. But then the faith of another Jewish father grew stronger after his daughter died in the same school. It can really go both ways.

I imagined losing my daughter years ago and remembered being very angry that God would take her from me. After the anger subsided, I realized that if my daughter died or lived, god really had no part in it and that was when I decided to just let go of my religious faith.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Another 'You're just angry at God' dig I think.
the problem is raf ... there are people that fit that description.

your response is just another "you don't understand us ..." dig.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I live close to Parkland where 17 people were shot to death in their school. I think I read that one Jewish father lost his faith in god after his daughter was murdered. His faith it seemed was on shaky ground when his brother died a few months before. But then the faith of another Jewish father grew stronger after his daughter died in the same school. It can really go both ways.

I imagined losing my daughter years ago and remembered being very angry that God would take her from me. After the anger subsided, I realized that if my daughter died or lived, god really had no part in it and that was when I decided to just let go of my religious faith.
that's my position.

the universe work the way it works. Just because some person is po-ed their child died doesn't mean I have to change how the universe works. I don't have to change how the universe works because some silly person thinks god saved their kid from an illness that kills millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality