Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 04:33 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and to think this was a thread dedicated to apologies and for some reason staying to tract here wasn't required.. rotf.. .... so what what would a thread look like that was created to just curse believers ..would it looks any different? of course NO! OH Mrs H you are such a tricky dicky ! got to give credit where credit is due.
Please note that OP is a question, not a statement. A "no" answer is a legitimate part of discussion. When you have answers to the questions raised, you will be able to contribure meaningfully.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If corrupted, the family line would be jeopardized, and the promised Messiah that would save the world from their sins would never come. THAT is why God ordered them to wipe out entire nations -- because ultimately more were saved by doing that. Just as a cop might shoot a criminal, God used Israel to judge the pagan nations.

In time, Jesus did come, and he died on the cross to redeem his people.
plus the pagan(canaanites and Mizraim(egypt and cousins) those were not their lands anyway! they had stolen them years before that and slaved out the real inhabitants. and stole all their wealth and goods . that is the oldest promises and something God promised to Elishah ( God would save ) his family and restore their kingdoms.

this going back through Tana aka Tamahu etc.. two feathers in their hair and a loin cloth and tattoos
and a blanket with reddish hair and giants ... well it should seem familiar to someone.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:44 PM

So, "The ends justify the means" rationale using arguments to establish a "Valid" reason for "justifiable genocide" just as so many have done and do whenEVER there is a situation of war: demonize the enemy.
I don't think God is or WAS limited to such means.

Last edited by nateswift; 09-01-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Quote:
By the way...I'm about to head out of the office and won't likely be posting again until next week. I don't have a PC at home and hate typing on a phone or iPad.
You may not get this then...see you later, gator. Have a nice holiday weekend.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am not sure what you want miss. Do you mean "war" without malice? That doesn't mean indifference, thats anti-love isn't it? are you talking about being warriors vs soldiers? some angels don't run around in sheets with their butts hanging out and the company they keep doesn't always behave perfectly, they are in a dirty business after all.
A Toga party?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:54 PM

I'm IN!!

Old 09-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, Baptist Fundie trots out the old "The ends justify the means" rationale using spurious arguments to establish a "Valid" reason for "justifiable genocide" just as so many have done and do whenEVER ther is a situation of war: demonize the enemy.
I don't think God is or WAS limited to such means.
Nate, come on, let's practice not saying inciteful words...as in, "BF trots out", huh?
Try it just on this thread for practice. Pretty please...just to try alternative ways.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and to think this was a thread dedicated to apologies and for some reason staying to tract here wasn't required.. rotf.. .... so what what would a thread look like that was created to just curse believers ..would it looks any different? of course NO! OH Mrs H you are such a tricky dicky ! got to give credit where credit is due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Please note that OP is a question, not a statement. A "no" answer is a legitimate part of discussion. When you have answers to the questions raised, you will be able to contribute meaningfully.
That will be a first (if at all possible), much of what I have witnessed is nonsensical.

But I am always hopeful, Miss Hepburn.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Nate, come on, let's practice not saying inciteful words...as in, "BF trots out", huh?
Try it just on this thread for practice. Pretty please...just to try alternative ways.
Hmmmmmm. Maybe so, I'll try to modify my reactions. Edited, how is that?

Old 09-01-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
OK.....we know that killing is not wrong. We are able to kill in self defense, we are allowed to kill in times of war. I think we all agree that it is justified to use deadly force to protect the innocent.** I will say, OK, reluctantly...I'm still not that sure..would Jesus?
Cuz he didn't....see my issue? He was the innocent, at that time...**

God promised Abraham that he would send a Messiah through him. This Messiah would save his people, and he would save the world. Untold peoples would be blessed as a result. That sounds great, doesn't it? Well...God was going to wait till just the right time.
The problem that we saw was that ancient Israel began to intermarry with other cultures. A very small number of Israelites was soon going to be absorbed by the idolatrous nations and was going to cease to exist. If that happened, the Messiah would never come. So, God sent famine, and Israel ended up going to Egypt, where he had sent Joseph beforehand by way of being sold into slavery, then being elevated to Prime Minister. In time he was able to save his people and provide a place for them
(this is a pre-shadowing of the Messiah).
Israel entered Egypt with about 70 people. 400 years later they emerged with about 1.5 million. At this time, they went back to Canaan to occupy their promised land. The problem was that there were pagans there, and those pagans would not give up the land easily. So God fought for the Israelites and they wiped them out, gaining the promised land again. Now...one may ask...why did they have to wipe them all out? Well...the answer is because if they didn't, they'd be corrupted. If corrupted, the family line would be jeopardized, and the promised Messiah that would save the world from their sins would never come. THAT is why God ordered them to wipe out entire nations -- because ultimately more were saved by doing that. Just as a cop might shoot a criminal, God used Israel to judge the pagan nations.
In time, Jesus did come, and he died on the cross to redeem his people.
You may not see this soon, but lemme reply while it's fresh..
I was amazed i knew that whole story well!...I followed it fine, the parts in blue. I remembered more than i thought.
I did not know about the pre-cursor of the Messiah in that story...I'm not going to have an issue with that, tho. That may be a valid interpretation of many scholars...which I am not.

I am not appalled by this story, tho... people, fighting for something they want...it happens. Not happy with it...it's like the Europeans massacring Native Americans for their land.
Not good, not right, not necessary...

Where we would have an issue is, ''DID God tell them, really, to wipe out an entire nation for some land?"...ah, the earth was sparsely populated. OR was that some made up story to justify their actions...their own desire for this land?
See? For me, God telling them to do this ? Ahh...that's where you believe it..and I'm all...'Ahh...doesn't
sound like the God I know.'

Seems God is blamed for a lot of killing..how could that be?
You can say the words, "God told me to"...say words like jealous, justice, non-obeyance of Laws till the cows come home...
That is not the God I know.

Now, is that so bad that we disagree...no.

Wanna come up with a nasty bloody story in a different situation that you think would really appall me?
And defend that?

I'm not sure i could be convinced God told people to massacre....now, if a theological scholar tried to tell me
God was different then,,,because the people were different ...they only knew swords and bloodshed...it was the culture (I've seen Braveheart...it was a culture!!) so, he HAD to
do these things 'at that time' in history to
get through to these 'human children, young in their psychological development.'...I would say...
"OK, I'm listening ...what else ya got..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality