Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Thanks for the advice on copy/pasting!
No worries, Unicorn!

Quote:
And yes, I am only out for my own truth....and I seriously don't understand why that disturbs you so much.
I never said it did.

Quote:
I don't know how many times I can state that I am not here to argue or try to change anyone's strongly or even weakly, held beliefs/opinions.
There are always arguments and discussions on forums, Unicorn. If you aren't here to do either, then why are you?

As for changing people's beliefs/opinions, I never said you were here to do so. My first post to you was simply to show you where your example fails for some people. If YOU experience something, that doesn't make it "real", at least in the sense of whether it is true in reality.

Let me try to explain what I mean very quickly. If you experience what you believe is God, while meditating, that EXPERIENCE was certainly real. However, that does not mean that you were actually talking to or experiencing God. That is the problem when you talk about something only you have experienced. It may be your "truth" but it doesn't make it THE truth.

Hopefully that makes sense. Now, you responded by getting all huffy and saying you don't care about right and wrong or what people do or believe, and that you regretted posting here.... My response was to drop the hysterics and try to understand what I was saying.

Quote:
And actually, just for the record, thinking and learning are high on my list, but I am not actually all that interested in the atheist/believer battle that seems to be going on here. I fail to see why you must stoop to insults in any case.
Also for the record, I didn't see your response initially, because it was buried in the quoted text, which is what started that. However, I stand by the fact that if you are not interested in truth, or what is right or wrong, then learning and thinking CAN'T be high on your list. Reason being, if you are truly interested in learning and thinking things out, you would be interested in those things. I'm sorry if that offends you, but that is truth, and not just my truth, and goes for anyone and anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 05:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on copy/pasting! And yes, I am only out for my own truth....and I seriously don't understand why that disturbs you so much.
It disturbs me that you are only interested in your own truth because your own 'truth' might not be true and THAT doesn't seem to worry you. You are not interested in whether or not something IS true, you are only interested in what you THINK is true. What you WANT to be true.

Last edited by Rafius; 04-04-2019 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 06:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on copy/pasting! And yes, I am only out for my own truth....and I seriously don't understand why that disturbs you so much. I don't know how many times I can state that I am not here to argue or try to change anyone's strongly or even weakly, held beliefs/opinions. And actually, just for the record, thinking and learning are high on my list, but I am not actually all that interested in the atheist/believer battle that seems to be going on here. I fail to see why you must stoop to insults in any case.
It disturbs some posters because it's a neutral position that does not give them anything to feed off of. They are more interested in interrogating individual posters instead of discussing world religions. It's sort of like Christian Mingle without the mingling.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:08 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It disturbs some posters because it's a neutral position that does not give them anything to feed off of. They are more interested in interrogating individual posters instead of discussing world religions. It's sort of like Christian Mingle without the mingling.
There are several subtopics for other religions. Do you go there?
Haven't noticed that you've tried to start any threads here either

Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times
Quote:
It disturbs me that there are so many people incapable of rational thought that think someone mentioning someone else's belief, or talking about it, or anything of the sort somehow means they are disturbed.

I am disturbed by certain things many religious people do, but simply stating a belief on the internet is not one of them. Maybe you guys are incapable of separating internet and real life, but I am not.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There are several subtopics for other religions. Do you go there?
What did you find when you pulled my posting history? Besides, regulars establish paradigms and the questions I have might appear sacrilegious. I ran into that when I raised questions about the Talmud, Mother Mary worship, etc.
Quote:
Haven't noticed that you've tried to start any threads here either
There are several reasons for that, though when I'm not hurting so much I hope to start an archeology thread examining some of the various Temple sites around the world. Hopefully, some of the globe trotters will contribute pictures and/or experiences.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
What did you find when you pulled my posting history? Besides, regulars establish paradigms and the questions I have might appear sacrilegious. I ran into that when I raised questions about the Talmud, Mother Mary worship, etc.
There are several reasons for that, though when I'm not hurting so much I hope to start an archeology thread examining some of the various Temple sites around the world. Hopefully, some of the globe trotters will contribute pictures and/or experiences.
I personally don’t know your posting history, just what I’ve seen (in which there has been no stance in either direction). Are you an atheist or believer?

Old 04-04-2019, 11:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times
Quote:
ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It disturbs me that you are only interested in your own truth because your own 'truth' might not be true and THAT doesn't seem to worry you. You are not interested in whether or not something IS true, you are only interested in what you THINK is true. What you WANT to be true.
So, what is "True"....??? My reality is my reality. It probably is not the same as yours. Again, many seem to define truth, as only that which can be weighed and measured. I do not define truth that way. There are other ways of perceiving "truth" and/or reality. We will never agree on this. To say I WANT something to be true is nonsensical....I neither want nor don't want....it simply is. What I am perceiving in this discussion is the atheist/agnostic side demands a physical, measurable reality in order to accept that something is "real". or "true"....believers in God/a higher power/cosmic consciousness...or whatever you wish to call it, do not demand this. And so, we are accused of not being interested in learning or in knowing how to think. That is absurd. Many believers are very intelligent, highly educated and extremely interested in learning about a variety of things. Our belief/faith doesn't make us stupid. We have simply encountered something on a level that you have not. This something is not going to be found in reading, research, study, what have you. It might be found in meditation. It's like trying to explain the 5th dimension to someone living in 3 dimensions.....I am not trying to call non-believers stupid or evil, or anything of the sort...only that they are using the wrong tools to measure a dimension that can't be reached with the tool set they are using.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I personally don’t know your posting history, just what I’ve seen (in which there has been no stance in either direction). Are you an atheist or believer?
I'm a living soul trying to figure out life. I mean no harm to those who've figured it all out (and can now die peacefully of old age).

Old 04-04-2019, 11:52 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
So, what is "True"....??? My reality is my reality. It probably is not the same as yours. Again, many seem to define truth, as only that which can be weighed and measured. I do not define truth that way. There are other ways of perceiving "truth" and/or reality. We will never agree on this. To say I WANT something to be true is nonsensical....I neither want nor don't want....it simply is. What I am perceiving in this discussion is the atheist/agnostic side demands a physical, measurable reality in order to accept that something is "real". or "true"....believers in God/a higher power/cosmic consciousness...or whatever you wish to call it, do not demand this. And so, we are accused of not being interested in learning or in knowing how to think. That is absurd. Many believers are very intelligent, highly educated and extremely interested in learning about a variety of things. Our belief/faith doesn't make us stupid. We have simply encountered something on a level that you have not. This something is not going to be found in reading, research, study, what have you. It might be found in meditation. It's like trying to explain the 5th dimension to someone living in 3 dimensions.....I am not trying to call non-believers stupid or evil, or anything of the sort...only that they are using the wrong tools to measure a dimension that can't be reached with the tool set they are using.
I’m just trying to understand what your ‘reality’ is - May I ask if you are christian, wiccan, neutral, something else? I think I am missing the point you are trying to make (or the point of your discussion).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-04-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality