Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,148,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I don't have a Bible with me right now, so excuse me for not being able to offer direct quotes. But the book of Hebrews says we should be beyond the point of teaching our brothers. But since we're not, we still have an elementary understanding of things. Hebrews also says the law will be imprinted on hearts. Based on my own experience, I take that to mean we will inherently know the "right" choice in any situation as long as we listen to the God voice in us. You can either listen to the God voice, or the adversary's voice. One choice leads to life; the other leads to death. "Life" in the sense that the "God" choice will lead to better decision-making that won't take you on a path to destruction. For example...your friends try to pressure you to take drugs. You can either decline (God choice) or cave (adversary choice). Now, if you keep choosing to do drugs, you will develop a habit, which may cause you to lose your job because you're focused on the next high and not priorities, etc. etc. So that "adversary" choice leads to a string of bad decisions. But at any moment you can reverse course (turn back to God) and get on the right path. You will br warned throughout drug journey. You may lose addict friends. You could have a seizure or some other adverse effects. Will you heed those signs or continue down the path to accelerated death?

You all are looking for things to happen exactly as they're described in the Bible, and I'm not sure it works that way. I know for sure it doesn't work that way in everyday life. Jury's out on what will happen during Judgment. Remember...the OT sacrifices were done in that manner because THAT'S HOW THINGS WERE DONE IN THAT TIME. We have evolved (kinda ) since those days. And the sacrifices were to be REMINDERS of the law and their purpose. We are now at the point where the law should be in our SPIRIT. You are too focused on the literal and physical.
The Law being imprinted on hearts was for the House of Israel...This was the prophecy from Jeremiah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM

18,256 posts, read 17,012,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
It certainly seems that way, at least on forums where Christianity is the central topic. I can understand the tactic to some extent. I assume they think that setting up and attacking a silly straw man version of Christianity (or at least an extreme literalist, fundamentalist, flat earth version) will dissuade others from taking the religion seriously (as it perhaps may). I also assume they lack the depth of knowledge to take on the more sophisticated Christianity of an N. T. Wright, John Lennox, William Lane Craig, Gary Habermas or Alvin Plantinga (https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...-not-dead.html). And I assume they think or hope that endless ridicule and zingers will eventually prove so dispiriting that intelligent Christians will simply move on (as they may). It does seem to be almost impossible to carry on anything resembling a substantive dialogue on this forum.

What puzzles me is why so many atheists find this to be a useful or amusing way to spend their time? Do Christians haunt atheist, Buddhist and Muslim forums just to spew ridicule and zingers at straw man versions of those beliefs? If I set about to do this I'd be bored in a day, yet I see posters here who have seemingly kept up the game for years and tens of thousands of posts. What's the point? There's something going on here psychologically that escapes me. Certainly this approach isn't going to dent the faith of a mature, informed believer. It isn't going to convert anyone to atheism. To my mind it has the opposite effect of the one I'd think a serious atheist would want to have.

If there were any serious doubt about the existence of Jesus or concern that he was a false prophet, the greatest minds of humanity wouldn't have believed the religion for the past 2000 years. Scholars, both religious and secular, have written more about Jesus than anyone who ever lived. There is no doubt about his existence, no concern that he was false prophet. These are silly arguments. It's disappointing to me that Christians allow themselves to be sucked into the game. The people who make these arguments aren't interested in the slightest in what the Christians have to say. They are performing for each other's amusement, or at least that's how it seems to me.
Someone should address nerf's concerns. Might as well be me.

Quote:
It certainly seems that way, at least on forums where Christianity is the central topic. I can understand the tactic to some extent. I assume they think that setting up and attacking a silly straw man version of Christianity (or at least an extreme literalist, fundamentalist, flat earth version) will dissuade others from taking the religion seriously (as it perhaps may).
Yet you fail to address the slimy straw man defenses that nearly all of your cohorts are constantly hurling at us when we ask for a simple explanation of something that screams fraud in Christianity. Here's one:

How could John (really the Greek writers of John's gospel since we know now John never penned a single word of it) recall something like 1000+ words of Jesus' farewell discourse in chapter's 14-17 verbatim--that is, WORD FOR WORD?

Watch this folks. Just like baptistfundie I'll never get a straight answer from nerf, just some straw man excuse why John could do it (that is, if nerf replies at all, which he never does)

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,490,438 times
Yes, but Israel is scattered. And they are to be the spark that ignites it for everyone. It will start with Judah. So those descended from Judah, will be the first to become awakened...and they will inspire the rest of Israel back toward God. "The last will be the first."Judah was the last to be taken into captivity. Why? They kept the laws longer than the North. And Judah today, even though they are all over the place, are still a very religious and "one God" people.

At least this is my take on things. I personally am very in tune with people's spirit. I can feel the goodness and "evil" of others. Israel will know Israel by deed.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:45 PM

64,090 posts, read 40,382,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Law being imprinted on hearts was for the House of Israel...This was the prophecy from Jeremiah...
We know you believe that you are among the preferred ones of God, Richard, but God is no respecter of persons. We are ALL His children and Jesus abides with us ALL as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts." Wish that we ALL would listen.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Thanks for confirming you don; understand the verse.

The real truth is they desperately want this so-called "prophecy" to line up with that silly "born of a virgin" legend of Jesus that so many other dying-rising gods have as part of their story. Hercules was born of a virgin impregnated by Zeus. Exact same characteristic in Jesus' nativity story except Zeus was the Holy Spirit. HA!

The real truth is that you don't want it to have been fulfilled because then you would have to admit those ole fundies know more than you secular fundies. And as usual, you just blovate your opinion but can't provide any evidence you know what you are talking about. Tee hee/
Evidence has been provided that the Isaiah verse does not say Betulah [an ACTUAL virgin], but Almah, which is a YOUNG woman that may or may not be a virgin...And anyway the verse is talking about Hezekiah...

Last edited by Richard1965; 08-01-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM

3,920 posts, read 3,657,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So some person said (allegedly) around 30 AD that some of the people he was talking to would live to see the end of times, and the maximum age is 150 years, then that person had predicted the end of times to 180 AD at the latest.

As the world did not end before then, would you say that was a failed prophecy or not?
Perhaps the world did end. And we are all currently living on a slightly different plane than our ancestors were inhabiting. Yet somehow, the old writings remain. Or maybe this is all a dream.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
What I understand about your answers is that you don't understand the verse. There is no indication the almah in Isaiah is pregnant. You made that up.

What I understand is that you continually make dogmatic statements but NEVER offer any evidence.
No indication that the Almah is pregnant????...Really???...Are you serious???...It says it right there, she is with child...And will bear this child and name him Immanuel, which Jesus was never named...

Immanuel is a Hebrew name which appears in chapters 7 and 8 of the Book of Isaiah as part of a prophecy assuring the house of David and king Ahaz of Judah of God's protection against enemy kings. In Judaism the name עמנואל ("Immanuel") is not applied to the messiah. - https://www.bing.com/search?q=immanu...22&FORM=SNAPST

Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,490,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Perhaps the world did end. And we are all currently living on a slightly different plane than our ancestors were inhabiting. Yet somehow, the old writings remain. Or maybe this is all a dream.
This post just tugged at me! Sometimes this does feel like a dream.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:04 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,005,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Evidence has been provided that the Isaiah verse does not say Betulah [an ACTUAL virgin], but Almah, which is a YOUNG woman that may or may not be a virgin...And anyway the verse is talking about Hezekiah...

An almah is a virgin, a young girl, a maiden. A bethula is a virgin of any age. Mary was a young virgin, that is why almah is used in Isa. It was necessary for the prophecy to be fulfilled. It is not about Hezekiah, it is telling him of the prophecy.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:06 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,005,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thank you for today's update, Uncle omega and I hope you feel better soon.

I always feel good excposing your ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality