Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 04:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have never defined "rude" as you are claiming I do. I have answered several posters questions and haven't thought any of them to be rude, even though they clearly take issue with much of what my religion teaches. Hardly a soul on this forum believes as I do and most of them aren't rude at all. I know "rude" when I see it and it makes so sense to me to even try to have a dialogue with someone who states that I am "indoctrinated" when I simply believe differently than they do.
Perhaps you could provide an example of my being "rude" to you.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:32 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Perhaps you could provide an example of my being "rude" to you.
I just did. Don't worry. It's probably so ingrained in you that you don't even see it.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
If you're going to tell me what my opinion is, please at least have the decency to quote me. I have answered several posters questions and haven't thought any of them to be rude, even though they clearly take issue with much of what my religion teaches. Hardly a soul on this forum believes as I do and most of them aren't rude at all. I know "rude" when I see it and it makes so sense to me to even try to have a dialogue with someone who states that I am "indoctrinated" when I simply believe differently than they do.
Well, it seems as if you're being damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You're bad if the church sticks to dogma.
You're bad if the church modernizes its thinking.

I have spoken in other threads how upsetting "religionists" can be.
But it's a good example of how upsetting "anti-religionists" can be.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How can you reconcile then and now?
We're all human, and we make mistakes.

Quote:
What's more relevant, scripture or dogma? And why.
The question, as I understand it, is flawed. Our dogma (i.e. doctrine) is based upon our scripture (i.e. sacred writings). I will say, though, that I find more relevance in the words of a living prophet than I do in the words of a dead one.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I just did. Don't worry. It's probably so ingrained in you that you don't even see it.
Try again. I must have blinked the first time.

If acting to contradict your beliefs is being rude, than, as a atheist, I am being rude each time I contradict the beliefs of any religious person. But then, that is not the definition of being "rude," and this forum is dedicated to just such discussions on religious beliefs.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, it seems as if you're being damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You're bad if the church sticks to dogma.
You're bad if the church modernizes its thinking.

I have spoken in other threads how upsetting "religionists" can be.
But it's a good example of how upsetting "anti-religionists" can be.
That's probably the single most insightful thing anybody (me included) has said on this thread yet.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
...I will say, though, that I find more relevance in the words of a living prophet than I do in the words of a dead one.
That's interesting.

Over the past decade or so, I have had the sense (but no evidence) that perhaps Joseph Smith is being...what word..."de-emphasized". Is that my imagination?

And who is considered the greater prophet/leader -- Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Over the past decade or so, I have had the sense (but no evidence) that perhaps Joseph Smith is being...what word..."de-emphasized". Is that my imagination?
I don't know. I really don't think so. At least, as a member of the Church I don't get that sense. To those on the outside, it may seem so.

Quote:
And who is considered the greater prophet/leader -- Joseph Smith or Brigham Young?
I don't think you could find any real consensus on this. Sixteen men have succeeded Joseph Smith over the years and each of them had his own strengths and weaknesses. Undoubtedly one of most Mormons' favorite prophets was Gordon B. Hinckley, who led the Church from 1995 to 2008. He had a great many friends and admirers outside of the Church as well.

As to my own opinion of Joseph Smith versus Brigham Young, Joseph Smith wins hands down. In fact, of all seventeen LDS prophets, Brigham Young probably ranks last on my on personal list. Granted, he was probably the best person who could possibly have led the Church when he did, and his efforts at colonizing the West are unsurpassed.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
If you're going to tell me what my opinion is, please at least have the decency to quote me. I have answered several posters questions and haven't thought any of them to be rude, even though they clearly take issue with much of what my religion teaches. Hardly a soul on this forum believes as I do and most of them aren't rude at all. I know "rude" when I see it and it makes so sense to me to even try to have a dialogue with someone who states that I am "indoctrinated" when I simply believe differently than they do.
You seem to have quickly lost your taste for explaining "What Mormonism really teaches." That wouldn't be because you are aware that Mormon history is rife with violence, backroom intrigue by the founders, and questionable claims, and you don't wish to publicly air Mormon dirty laundry... would it? Or is the very act of asking the question an example of me being "rude?"

Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You seem to have quickly lost your taste for explaining "What Mormonism really teaches." That wouldn't be because you are aware that Mormon history is rife with violence, backroom intrigue by the founders, and questionable claims, and you don't wish to publicly air Mormon dirty laundry... would it? Or is the very act of asking the question an example of me being "rude?"
I don't know if I'd say you were being rude. But you are in attack mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.