Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Polygamy isn’t legal anywhere in the United States. There is no way to enter into a legal polygamous marriage.

The official position of the church is that they “have nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy.” That is pretty exhaustive in what it covers. It would make no sense for that to only mean something that is a legal impossibility.

The church issued an original declaration against polygamy in order to maintain legal status as a church and help Utah gain statehood. Some members, including high church leaders, continued the practice . The second manifesto reinforced the ban on polygamy and pronounced punishments for engaging in or performing plural marriages.

The official church policy addresses the legal issues of polygamy , and prohibits Mormons from engaging in it , even on the sly in just the eyes of the church .

Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you have a source that women can get unsealed w/o getting sealed to another Mormon man? My links show they cannot.
I didn't actually say anything about the conditions under which a woman could get her sealing canceled. I said that it's not true that a divorced woman "will be bound to her ex-husband in eternity whether she liked it or not." A marriage has to endure here on earth before it can endure in heaven.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:28 PM

10,764 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
OK, how is that not true? What actions to render it null and void?
All blessings in Mormonism are predicated upon living a life consistent with Mormon doctrine. Apostasy will render them null and void.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
All blessings in Mormonism are predicated upon living a life consistent with Mormon doctrine. Apostasy will render them null and void.
OK so if she stayed in the church and was not an apostate how would she not be bound for eternity to a man she is sealed to for eternity and can't get unsealed?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The church issued an original declaration against polygamy in order to maintain legal status as a church and help Utah gain statehood. Some members, including high church leaders, continued the practice . The second manifesto reinforced the ban on polygamy and pronounced punishments for engaging in or performing plural marriages.

The official church policy addresses the legal issues of polygamy , and prohibits Mormons from engaging in it , even on the sly in just the eyes of the church .
I can’t tell whether you are a never Mormon, trying defend doctrines, policies, and practices that you don’t fully understand, or whether you are in fact a Mormon desperately trying to defend your church. But either way, you’re not adding anything here.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
OK so if she stayed in the church and was not an apostate how would she not be bound for eternity to a man she is sealed to for eternity and can't get unsealed?
She can still reject it in the hereafter. It’s unlikely that this would happen.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
So why doesn't she just apostatize? You said she isn't "still in the Church." It sounds like she is at least still on the Church's membership records. If she doesn't still believe in its doctrines, the logical solution to this whole matter would be for her to ask that her name be removed from the membership records. Problem solved.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
As I said before, "A marriage has to endure here on earth before it can endure in heaven." And why on earth would she want to stay in the Church if she no longer believes in its doctrines?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't actually say anything about the conditions under which a woman could get her sealing canceled. I said that it's not true that a divorced woman "will be bound to her ex-husband in eternity whether she liked it or not." A marriage has to endure here on earth before it can endure in heaven.
The highlighted portion isn’t correct. It’s the whole reason why a woman can’t get a sealing cancelled unless she remarries in the temple.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Quote:
I can’t tell whether you are a never Mormon, trying defend doctrines, policies, and practices that you don’t fully understand, or whether you are in fact a Mormon desperately trying to defend your church. But either way, you’re not adding anything here.
Then tell me where I am wrong. Please . Just don't make subtle statements that suggest you know more than me without providing some substance with them . I have provided the facts. Prove me wrong .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality