Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The requirement to be unsealed only applies to women. Men don’t have to have the sealing to the former wife cancelled because the church allows men to be sealed to more than one woman. There is no “falling through the cracks.” Membership status in the Mormon church of my wife and myself is irrelevant.

This is not something that the church provides statistics about. And there is no conundrum for former spouses remaining in the church. My ex wife got remarried (and sealed) to her new Mormon husband. Our sealing was cancelled prior to that happening. This is routine. Since my current wife and I didn’t marry in a Mormon temple, and didn’t have a Mormon sealing, her sealing to her ex husband wasn’t cancelled. This is also routine. It happens in virtually every instance of this situation (the woman re marrying, but not in a Mormon sealing in a Mormon temple). The only exceptions that I am aware of are when a woman has threatened a lawsuit if the prior sealing wasn’t cancelled.

Our situation isnt extraordinary, it is actually fairly common.
Ah, so men in some situations are allowed to be sealed to multiple wives. Even so, this is just a "spiritual " marriage and not a physical or legal one, and no doubt when people discuss polygamy and the Mormon church they are talking about the real life practice of having multiple wives to bed and clean house and bear children .

Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
Some women can be sealed to more than one man. They sealed Catherine of Aragon to the man who was her first husband on earth, Arthur, and to her second (his brother) , Henry VIII, who as I mentioned is sealed to 13 other women. For some reason they gave the wife that was his favorite on earth, the second Catherine, or Kate, to his brother Arthur in death.

In these after death sealings, they seem to roll like the FLDS, where the Prophet decides who marries who.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Ah, so men in some situations are allowed to be sealed to multiple wives. Even so, this is just a "spiritual " marriage and not a physical or legal one, and no doubt when people discuss polygamy and the Mormon church they are talking about the real life practice of having multiple wives to bed and clean house and bear children .
'Just' a spiritual one? That is the eternal one. I get what you are saying, and we all understand the difference here, but to them, there is no 'just' about the spirit marriages. Those are the most important ones.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:19 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,661,282 times
Quote:
Mormon polygamy has never been about the legal status of a union. It is solely about having been sealed in a Mormon temple. That’s what polygamy is in the Mormon church.

When you get right down to it, the only real difference between polygamy as it’s practiced now, and how it was practiced prior to the Second Manifesto, is that people in a polygamous marriage are only allowed to have sex with the spouse to whom they are currently legally married. Sex with the other polygamous spouses is not allowed.

Given that Mormon men can be sealed to multiple women (both living and dead), it is extremely hard to rationalize the official statements from the church, that the church “has nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy.” Those claims are beyond disingenuous - they are blatantly false.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
'Just' a spiritual one? That is the eternal one. I get what you are saying, and we all understand the difference here, but to them, there is no 'just' about the spirit marriages. Those are the most important ones.
Sure, just a spiritual one . If you don't accept Mormon doctrine, what's the point in getting worked up over their view of afterlife marriages ? Actual physical polygamy is what most people mean when they discuss the issue .

Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Mormon polygamy has never been about the legal status of a union. It is solely about having been sealed in a Mormon temple. That’s what polygamy is in the Mormon church.

When you get right down to it, the only real difference between polygamy as it’s practiced now, and how it was practiced prior to the Second Manifesto, is that people in a polygamous marriage are only allowed to have sex with the spouse to whom they are currently legally married. Sex with the other polygamous spouses is not allowed.

Given that Mormon men can be sealed to multiple women (both living and dead), it is extremely hard to rationalize the official statements from the church, that the church “has nothing whatsoever to do with polygamy.” Those claims are beyond disingenuous - they are blatantly false.

No the polygamy that was so controversial was the physical kind, where you actually have multiple earthly wives . I don't think the US government gave one pigs eye what the Mormons did in terms of heavenly marriages after they die.

It's interesting you bring up the sex issue . That was going to be one of my questions . Can Mormon men have sex and bear children with these spiritual wives in the eyes of the church ? If not, then it is a meaningless ritual to anyone but Mormons .

And their statement on polygamy makes perfect sense if they are talking about the physical kind like the fundie Mormons practice .

Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of similarities between most churches that call themselves Christian. You are more alike to the Catholic Church than you realize .
The two couldn't be more opposed. Catholics are against divorce, so they don't recognize a second marriage. That is in no way similar to what we are talking about.

The person you are replying to, his wife's ex-husband did NOT have to get unsealed before he could marry again. He simply got sealed to a second woman. Which they (the church) were pleased as punch about it, but his ex-wife is not, she doesn't want to be sealed to him anymore. Which is apparently too bad according to the church. They won't allow her to get unsealed unless she is getting sealed to another Mormon man who can lead her to Exaltation in the afterlife. It has nothing whatsoever to do with disapproval of divorce and everything to do with how all the spirit stuff is the most important stuff.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Sure, just a spiritual one . If you don't accept Mormon doctrine, what's the point in getting worked up over their view of afterlife marriages ? Actual physical polygamy is what most people mean when they discuss the issue .
They are polygamist in this life as well.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No the polygamy that was so controversial was the physical kind, where you actually have multiple earthly wives . I don't think the US government gave one pigs eye what the Mormons did in terms of heavenly marriages after they die.

It's interesting you bring up the sex issue . That was going to be one of my questions . Can Mormon men have sex and bear children with these spiritual wives in the eyes of the church ? If not, then it is a meaningless ritual to anyone but Mormons .

And their statement on polygamy makes perfect sense if they are talking about the physical kind like the fundie Mormons practice .
The following bears repeating:

Quote:
It’s all about the sealing. Always has been. And in the Mormon church, being sealed to multiple women is the very definition of polygamy.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:

It’s all about the sealing. Always has been. And in the Mormon church, being sealed to multiple women is the very definition of polygamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7eUPb3-_g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality