Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 11:04 PM

10,762 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And I'm suggesting that he translated the word using the closest English equivalent he could come up with. You still haven't told me how he should have translated the word if it was actually "Hordeum pusillum" the text referred to. As I said in a prior post, the Spanish conquerors said that the native population had both silk and linen, but they weren't silk and linen after all. Sometimes, an approximation is pretty much your only option.
As explained in the prior post, he didn’t come up with the words. The words were supposedly obtained through direct revelation.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again, you can NOT say that the fundamental racist doctrines upon which the church was built simply wiped away ALL of the racist beliefs by a one paragraph statement in the 1980s. That's not how this works.

So the racist policy of not allowing black men to hold the priesthood may have been overturned out of nowhere (....because the church was going to lose their tax exemption if they didn't....) but the TEACHINGS and the undercurrent of those teachings still remain. That would be like the Pope suddenly declaring the creation story of Adam and Eve untrue at Sunday Mass and then expecting everyone to say, "welp, I guess we no longer believe in a fundamental aspect of our religion."

MANY still believe and they teach those beliefs in one form or another by action or by deed.
Is that true? Do you have a source for that?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Any single person who qualifies by age for a singles ward is free to be a member of that ward, regardless of ethnicity. And any member of the church is welcome to attend any ward activity.
Thank you for your PR answer but this isn't being truthful.

The TRUTH is that the church discourages race mixing and therefore they keep their wards separated under the guise of the ethnic congregations being "more comfortable" with their own kind. The truth is that they really don't want Jacob or Joseph mixing with Maria or Moana.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Is that true? Do you have a source for that?

On June 8, 1978, the LDS Church's First Presidency released an official declaration which would allow "all worthy male members of the church [to] be ordained to the priesthood without regard to race or color." According to the accounts of several of those present, while praying in the Salt Lake Temple, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles received the revelation relating to the lifting of the priesthood ban. The apostle McConkie wrote that all present "received the same message" and were then able to understand "the will of the Lord."There were many factors that led up to the publication of this declarationimproper synthesis? trouble from the NAACP because of priesthood inequality, the announcement of the first LDS temple in Brazil, and other pressures from members and leaders of the church. After the publication of Lester Bush's seminal article in Dialogue, "Mormonism's Negro Doctrine: An Historical Overview", BYU vice-president Robert K. Thomas feared that the church would lose its tax exemption status. The article described the church's racially discriminatory practices in detail. The article inspired internal discussion among church leaders, weakening the idea that the priesthood ban was doctrinal.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Would you mind quoting from "the policy" you are referring to?

Your guesses are almost never right. Polygamy is punishable today by excommunication. There are no ifs, ands, or buts. No exceptions made and no time wasted.
Can Mormon men still be sealed to more than one woman?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Can Mormon men still be sealed to more than one woman?
I'll take that one for $10 (I am not positive enough to bet more than that ). Only in the FLDS can they be sealed to more than one woman at the same time. In LDS, if there is a divorce, they have to get unsealed before they can get sealed again.

But! I have heard of people not doing that because they don't want their children separated or something. It's complicated.

Seems more the earthly marriages have the prohibition against polygamy, but not the spirit ones?

Old 09-16-2018, 11:34 PM

Hinckley changed the policy on race, but when asked if the policy had been wrong he said no. Ouch.

Quote:
Tax-exempt status and black people: How the government can change God’s mind
(again, first it changed God's mind on polygamy)

https://exploringmormonism.com/tax-e...nge-gods-mind/

Old 09-16-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'll take that one for $10 (I am not positive enough to bet more than that ). Only in the FLDS can they be sealed to more than one woman at the same time. In LDS, if there is a divorce, they have to get unsealed before they can get sealed again.

But! I have heard of people not doing that because they don't want their children separated or something. It's complicated.

Seems more the earthly marriages have the prohibition against polygamy, but not the spirit ones?
I’ll take my $10 in Book of Mormon currency.

I’ll wait for Katz’s answer before I provide more details.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I’ll take my $10 in Book of Mormon currency.

I’ll wait for Katz’s answer before I provide more details.
OK, was I partly right even? Just give me like a %. It was totally un-researched. Bits drawn from ages old memory of learning about that. I might even be pleased with a barely passing grade.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:35 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There seems to be significant indications that Smith was not always on the right side of what we would accept as moral. Now, how important is that?

Well, considering that he is the founder of a major religion in the USA, I think it is darn important. It speaks to credibility, and to whitewash his missteps away does not increase his credibility. I see little difference in what Smith said he got through seer stones to what L. Ron Hubbard said he divined from his "research".

If you see a major difference, I would be all ears.
I understand what you're saying, and don't necessarily disagree with you. However, on the other hand, whatever Smith did was done 189 years ago. If everything about Joseph Smith evaporated today, the Mormon Church and what it has become would still be here.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in much of the history of the Mormon church. I don't believe in the Sacred Grove. It was just some woods over the hill from my house. I don't believe in the Golden Plates...not because they can't produce them today, but because there are certain parts of the story that just don't add up.

However, I feel exactly the same about most of the history of the christian religion.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't find the problems with the Mormon religion to be any more serious than the problems I find with the various christian religions. Yet we seem to be singling out the Mormons for harsh criticism. We don't have a thread like this for Methodists, or Baptists, or Evangelicals.

What I don't like is this attack mode that we seem to be getting into where Mormonism is being singled out for far worse criticism than the other religions. And the reason I don't like the attack mode is that whatever the strengths and weaknesses of the Mormon church and its history are, I have never personally met a Mormon that wasn't a fine, upstanding person...and being from Palmyra, NY, I've met a lot of Mormons. I wish I had met as many fine, upstanding __________________ (I'll let you fill in the blank for the religion of your choice). But again, don't misunderstand me...I know that there are "bad" Mormons. I just haven't ever met any).

Last edited by phetaroi; 09-17-2018 at 12:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality