Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:29 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You show me a man who has never broken the law, and I'll show you an invisible person.

If that's what you'r basing a disdain for Mormonism or Joseph Smith on, then you're petty. On Friday night I had some friends over to play cards. I don't remember how it came up, but one of the women briefly spoke about her "psychic" abilities. Does that mean that we should shun her and assume that everything she does is a scam? I think not.
There seems to be significant indications that Smith was not always on the right side of what we would accept as moral. Now, how important is that?

Well, considering that he is the founder of a major religion in the USA, I think it is darn important. It speaks to credibility, and to whitewash his missteps away does not increase his credibility. I see little difference in what Smith said he got through seer stones to what L. Ron Hubbard said he divined from his "research".

If you see a major difference, I would be all ears.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I read the Bible far more often than I do The Book of Mormon, and we study the Bible in Sunday School two years out of every four. I can also quote from the Bible much more readily than from The Book of Mormon. Studies have shown, incidentally, that of theists, Mormons know the Bible better than all other Christians. (We're pretty much neck and neck with Jews, but far ahead of most Christians.) Somehow, despite our complete oblivion to what Jesus Christ taught, we've managed to do that. I wonder how. Other Christians don't even have any other scriptures that they are supposed to be studying as well as the Bible. What's their excuse for knowing less about it than most Mormons?

I agree that some Mormons seem to think the Church's leadership can do no wrong, but to say they worship their leaders is misleading and untrue. You know that, of course, but it doesn't fit with your agenda to admit it.
You forgot to mention that atheists, in those same studies, have been shown to know the Bible better than even Mormons. But you did say, "of theists", so I'll give you half a pass on that one.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I also find the Mormon belief about black people being a cursed race very offensive. They consider dark skin a curse and white skin as a sign of purity or being closer to God.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:53 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Moderator cut: Quoted posts removed.

The rule on R&S is that no member can tell another member that they are not Christian if they and their denomination consider themselves to be Christian.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-17-2018 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Quoted posts removed. They've been deleted.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I also find the Mormon belief about black people being a cursed race very offensive. They consider dark skin a curse and white skin as a sign of purity or being closer to God.
That's false. There was a time when the Church did have a racial prejudice against Black people, but that is no longer the case. Actually, there was never a time when Blacks were not permitted to be members of the Church (even though Black men could not be members of the Church's lay priesthood), and there has never been a time that we have had segregated congregations. Many Protestant Churches can't say that. Racism has, unfortunately, been a part of most Christian Churches at one time or another.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Well this atheist views their religion as being christian. Most people do. But then, what would us atheists know, right?
Many Mormon beliefs are in direct conflict with basic Christianity.

Mormons do not believe in the Holy Trinity. And the biggest difference is that they believe that devote Mormon men will eventually became gods themselves. Definitely NOT Christian.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The short and easy answer in bold. One must pay, or they don't get the blessings.
Yes, greater blessings are sometimes predicated on greater obedience. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
This is alarming to me.
Why in the world would it be alarming? Perhaps you are misunderstanding what the question is all about?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Many Mormon beliefs are in direct conflict with basic Christianity.

Mormons do not believe in the Holy Trinity. And the biggest difference is that they believe that devote Mormon men will eventually became gods themselves. Definitely NOT Christian.
I believe these criticisms have been addressed ad nauseum, calipoppy. If you think I'm going to do a private show just for you, you're sadly mistaken. Why don't you try actually reading the thread before running off at the mouth.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Well, they did change their policies. But it's a conundrum for the Church. They can't say a past prophet was wrong.

Quote:
...acknowledging serious errors on the part of past prophets inevitably raises questions about the revelatory authority of contemporary leaders.
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/o...on-church.html

Interestingly to me, Joseph Smith did not hold this view. In the Original church, black men held the priesthood and at least one held a position of minor authority.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's false. There was a time when the Church did have a racial prejudice against Black people, but that is no longer the case. Actually, there was never a time when Blacks were not permitted to be members of the Church (even though Black men could not be members of the Church's lay priesthood), and there has never been a time that we have had segregated congregations. Many Protestant Churches can't say that. Racism has, unfortunately, been a part of most Christian Churches at one time or another.
Many Mormons still believe the Curse of Cain/Ham regarding black people. I live and work around enough Mormons and former Mormons to know that to be true. Mormons believe that white skin and light features such as blonde hair are outward manifestations of the devotion. Dark skin and features are considered a curse.

And please explain the reason(s) WHY black men could not hold the priesthood? And then explain that because black men could not hold the priesthood, black men (and their families) could NEVER enter the celestial kingdom (ie MORMON HEAVEN) until almost the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality