Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 10:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many Mormon beliefs are in direct conflict with basic Christianity.

Mormons do not believe in the Holy Trinity. And the biggest difference is that they believe that devote Mormon men will eventually became gods themselves. Definitely NOT Christian.

Are you colourblind? Can you not read red print?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, greater blessings are sometimes predicated on greater obedience. There's nothing wrong with that.
That is a matter of opinion. I think there is a lot wrong with money being required to engage in the very important things that depend on the Temple recommend as outlined above. Getting married, attending a wedding, engaging in the spiritual stuff that can only be done in the Temple. Spiritual progression halted over money? We will have to agree to disagree there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, they did change their policies. But it's a conundrum for the Church. They can't say a past prophet was wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/o...on-church.html

Interestingly to me, Joseph Smith did not hold this view. In the Original church, black men held the priesthood and at least one held a position of minor authority.

Basically, black people could not be fully Mormon until almost the 1980s.

Black people were not allowed in the temples which means black people could not get married in the temple therefore their marriages were not recognized by the church. This meant that black men and their families would NEVER enter the Celestial Kingdom (Mormon Heaven)

Why do Mormons continue to LIE about this issue?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Many Mormons still believe the Curse of Cain/Ham regarding black people. I live and work around enough Mormons and former Mormons to know that to be true. Mormons believe that white skin and light features such as blonde hair are outward manifestations of the devotion. Dark skin and features are considered a curse.
If that's what they still believe, then they are going against everything their Church teaches. There are always going to be people (regardless of their religion) who are racists. This is what we are actually taught:

"Now I am told that racial slurs and denigrating remarks are sometimes heard among us. I remind you that no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ. Nor can he consider himself to be in harmony with the teachings of the Church of Christ. How can any man holding the Melchizedek Priesthood arrogantly assume that he is eligible for the priesthood whereas another who lives a righteous life but whose skin is of a different color is ineligible?

Throughout my service as a member of the First Presidency, I have recognized and spoken a number of times on the diversity we see in our society. It is all about us, and we must make an effort to accommodate that diversity.

Let us all recognize that each of us is a son or daughter of our Father in Heaven, who loves all of His children.

Brethren, there is no basis for racial hatred among the priesthood of this Church. If any within the sound of my voice is inclined to indulge in this, then let him go before the Lord and ask for forgiveness and be no more involved in such."
(President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Quote:
And please explain the reason(s) WHY black men could not hold the priesthood? And then explain that because black men could not hold the priesthood black men (and their families) could NEVER enter the celestial kingdom (ie MORMON HEAVEN) until almost the 1980s.
I don't know why, other than that a policy was put into place under Brigham Young which forbid Black men from holding the priesthood and forbidding Black people from receiving the blessings of the temple. I believe the policy was racially motivated, but I'm going to let God be Brigham Young's judge. I don't believe I qualify as anybody's judge. And I can tell you one thing: I remember the day the ban was lifted. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I believe these criticisms have been addressed ad nauseum, calipoppy. If you think I'm going to do a private show just for you, you're sadly mistaken. Why don't you try actually reading the thread before running off at the mouth.
You are not being truthful about the issue. You don't want the topic being discussed because there is no defense. Mormonism has a LONG history of racist doctrine by its founders and leaders.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
That's false. There was a time when the Church did have a racial prejudice against Black people, but that is no longer the case. Actually, there was never a time when Blacks were not permitted to be members of the Church (even though Black men could not be members of the Church's lay priesthood), and there has never been a time that we have had segregated congregations. Many Protestant Churches can't say that. Racism has, unfortunately, been a part of most Christian Churches at one time or another.
I will say this, you are one smooth talker. I mean SMOOTH. You are extraordinarily skillful at glossing things over and minimizing the impact. Most people would read what I bolded and go ok, yeah, that isn't so bad. And it is true that other faiths also had racism, but this is severely understating things, what you said, and just blowing right over this:
Quote:
because black men could not hold the priesthood, black men (and their families) could NEVER enter the celestial kingdom (ie MORMON HEAVEN) until almost the 1980s

Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is a matter of opinion. I think there is a lot wrong with money being required to engage in the very important things that depend on the Temple recommend as outlined above. Getting married, attending a wedding, engaging in the spiritual stuff that can only be done in the Temple. Spiritual progression halted over money? We will have to agree to disagree there is nothing wrong with that.
Some people have a really hard time parting with their money. Understandably, they aren't going to want to give 10% to the Lord.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,706 times
Quote:
You are not being truthful about the issue. You don't want the topic being discussed because there is no defense. Mormonism has a LONG history of racist doctrine by its founders and leaders.
You’re right Calipoppy.

Racism in current lds/Mormon scripture:
“And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites” - 3 Nephi 2:15

“For behold, the Lord shall curse the land with much heat, and the barrenness thereof shall go forth forever; and there was a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan, that they were despised among all people.” - Moses 7:8

Supporting slavery:
“ We believe it just to preach the gospel to the nations of the earth, and warn the righteous to save themselves from the corruption of the world; but we do not believe it right to interfere with bond-servants, neither preach the gospel to, nor baptize them contrary to the will and wish of their masters, nor to meddle with or influence them in the least to cause them to be dissatisfied with their situations in this life, thereby jeopardizing the lives of men; such interference we believe to be unlawful and unjust, and dangerous to the peace of every government allowing human beings to be held in servitude.” - Doctrine & Covenants 134:12

Racism exists in the lds/Mormon church still - not only as doctrine but also in how many members regard others who have darker skin than they do. I’ve seen it many times, not in all members, but too many.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I believe these criticisms have been addressed ad nauseum, calipoppy. If you think I'm going to do a private show just for you, you're sadly mistaken. Why don't you try actually reading the thread before running off at the mouth.
Quote:
For crying out loud, woman, I was replying to this comment of yours:

Quote:
Many Mormon beliefs are in direct conflict with basic Christianity. Mormons do not believe in the Holy Trinity. And the biggest difference is that they believe that devote Mormon men will eventually became gods themselves. Definitely NOT Christian.
The subject of racism hadn't even come up when you made that post. You can't even keep track of your own posts!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
For crying out loud, woman, I was replying to this comment of yours:

The subject of racism hadn't even come up when you made that post. You can't even keep track of your own posts!
Watch out because your Molly Mormon façade is starting to crack.

You certainly are getting testy over my posts about Mormonism's racist doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality