Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 12:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Would you mind quoting from "the policy" you are referring to?

Your guesses are almost never right. Polygamy is punishable today by excommunication. There are no ifs, ands, or buts. No exceptions made and no time wasted.

Where did you live where there were both LDS and FLDS? How did you know who the FLDS people were? I ask this because the vast majority of FLDS people live in conclaves owned and run by their church, in such places as Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona, and try to avoid calling attention to themselves. They'd be very unlikely to ever admit that they were FLDS. Outside of those two small towns, they can also be found in the following places:

Bountiful, British Columbia
Pringle, South Dakota
Ozumba, State of Mexico (not known for sure)
Centennial Park, Arizona
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Lovell, Wyoming (not known for sure)
Pinesdale, Montana
Mancos, Colorado
Davis County, Utah
Salt Lake County, Utah
Tooele County, Utah
Utah County, Utah
Motaqua, Utah
Cedar City, Utah
Hanna, Utah
Hildale, Utah
Manti, Utah
Rocky Ridge, Utah
Sanpete Valley, Utah
Modena, Utah
Eldorado, Texas
Preston, Nevada (not known for sure)
Lund, Nevada (not known for sure)

In each of these places there are no more than one to two dozen FLDS at most. Which one did you live in?

And what you do mean by the question, "If they are so opposed to one another, how can they be side by side?"
I don't see a source for your list. From where did you quote it? They are no longer in El Dorado!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:53 PM

50,844 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It doesn't help that he was a con man before he found the plates.
Please be specific. Because this sounds like just another I hate Mormonism comment.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:57 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
How can they live side by side in so many places? Where the FLDS is concentrated, they are surrounded by LDS. Seems like they'd not surround themselves with people who are utterly opposed to them.
Everybody is "utterly opposed to them." Where on earth do you think they might be able to settle where they'd be welcomed with open arms?

Quote:
Anyway, though I don't like anything about the FLDS, I do think they are truer to their religion in a sense. They didn't allow the USG to change God's mind on plural marriage.
The FLDS Church is to the LDS Church as Protestantism is to Catholicism. I'm sure Lutherans are truer to their beliefs than they are to the church from which they split.

Quote:
An Angel came to Smith and commanded it, after all.

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-ma...aints?lang=eng
Which angel might that be?

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-16-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-16-2018, 12:57 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please be specific. Because this sounds like just another I hate Mormonism comment.
He was apparently charged with scamming people over using his seeing stones to find things like lost treasure .

Old 09-16-2018, 01:03 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Quote:
How can they live side by side in so many places? Where the FLDS is concentrated, they are surrounded by LDS. Seems like they'd not surround themselves with people who are utterly opposed to them.

Anyway, though I don't like anything about the FLDS, I do think they are truer to their religion in a sense. They didn't allow the USG to change God's mind on plural marriage. An Angel came to Smith and commanded it, after all.

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-ma...aints?lang=eng

Why do you think different religious groups can't live side by side , whatever you mean by that?

As Katz pointed out, most of the time the FLDS are in their own communities or on compounds out in the country, and so are not in close contact with the main LDS or anyone else . It's the nature of cults . I lived near the Eldorado compound. They were 10 miles from the closest small town (Eldorado) , and 40 miles from the closest LDS ( unless there are some in Eldorado itself, but I don't think there are) .

Old 09-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I don't see a source for your list. From where did you quote it? They are no longer in El Dorado!
Polygamy in North America (on Wiki). There are evidently a handfull of FLDS left there, but no longer community as there once was. So is that where you lived, where the FLDS and the LDS lived "side by side"?

Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
He was apparently charged with scamming people over using his seeing stones to find things like lost treasure .
He was charged and there was a hearing, no trial. He was never convicted. Folk magic and superstition were prevalent in upstate New York in Joseph Smith's day.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Everybody is "utterly opposed to them." Where on earth do you think they might be able to settle where they'd be welcomed with open arms?
I don't think that is true. When they came here to Texas and the raid happened and all of that, they got lots of support from other Christians who don't support their views but supported their right to freedom of religion. Surprised me, I thought 'everyone' was opposed to them too.

I engaged in many debates about what really is brainwashing and all kinds of other things regarding them. I had felt that everyone would surely be against what I view as the human trafficking of women, but surprisingly, that was not the case.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM

I have a feeling that if the Mormon bashing (i.e. Joseph Smith was a con man) and other such claims continue, this thread will soon be closed. I really wish people would stick to the OP instead of using this thread to vent their hatred.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I don't think that is true. When they came here to Texas and the raid happened and all of that, they got lots of support from other Christians who don't support their views but supported their right to freedom of religion. Surprised me, I thought 'everyone' was opposed to them too.

I engaged in many debates about what really is brainwashing and all kinds of other things regarding them. I had felt that everyone would surely be against what I view as the human trafficking of women, but surprisingly, that was not the case.
Okay, so maybe everybody wasn't opposed to them, but to try to make any kind of connection between the LDS and the FLDS simply because both groups existed in Texas is just a pathetic argument. Heck, there are many more Southern Baptists in Texas than there are Mormons. How can Southern Baptists live side-by-side with the FLDS? Seriously, this is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality