Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 09:31 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Seems to me that the passage was given just before the passage. But then anyone who studied the bible, like this atheist, would be aware that this was a well known utterance. But then, it is a well known fact that atheists know the bible better than most christians.

A very well known fact:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...than-religious

Oh, and Mormons came second.

Just saying.
I understand, I just think that when one is quoting, one should source. There are different interpretations of the same verses, and I don't care to read the Mormon version, I only want to read the ones coming directly from the Bible, and they need to in a discussion about whether something is contradicting the Bible.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:35 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Of course I do not have first hand experience but people who have written books HAVE. Some people in many religions work their way up into secret places and then later let it fly. You see a few people doing that with Scientology, for instance.
Honestly, you've got me in stitches, jencam. I do owe you a big thank you, though, because clearing up the kind of misinformation you genuinely believe is accurate is why I started this thread. Your questions have given me a great opportunity to explain what's fact and what's myth.

Quote:
So, we are not in disagreement on this either! You believe you can become Gods!
Well, you may be slow, but I think you've finally got it. We may, through the power and grace of God, become gods and goddesses. If and when we do, (which may very well be a few million years from now) then God will be "the god of [even more] gods" than He is today.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-15-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
That is difficult for all of us aspiring. It's especially difficult to please the Mormon God, which is yet another issue I have with the Church. I can't imagine living with the fear of being shunned.
Me neither! That would be horrible! That's one of the things I like most about the Church. We are told to shun no one.

Quote:
All that pressure to get those pre-existing souls in the womb. I could never deal with it.
No kidding! Of course I don't worry about it much, because why in the world would anyone assume that a spirit ever need to be in a womb?

Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I understand, I just think that when one is quoting, one should source. There are different interpretations of the same verses, and I don't care to read the Mormon version, I only want to read the ones coming directly from the Bible, and they need to in a discussion about whether something is contradicting the Bible.
How is your understanding of Matthew 16:13-19 different from mine, jencam?

Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, you may be slow, but I think you've finally got it. We may, through the power and grace of God, become gods and goddesses. If and when we do, then God will be "the god of [even more] gods" than He is right now.
I am not slow or gullible, and personal insults are against the TOS here. I stated from the start Mormons believe you can become Gods, you spent several pages equivocating about that,, all to come back around and agree with me.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
How is your understanding of Matthew 16:13-19 different from mine, jencam?
I never stated that it was. We disagreed on the interpretation of something from Corinthians that Paul said. I sourced my interpretation of that with context. Yours was used to show there is more than one God, something you keep going back and forth on, but that is what you were using your rendering of that scripture (lacking context) for at the time.

Quote:
Of course I don't worry about it much, because why in the world would anyone assume that a spirit ever need to be in a womb?
As you stated above, these pre-existing souls have go to come do their human experience as part of their journey to Godhood.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I am not slow or gullible, and personal insults are against the TOS here. I stated from the start Mormons believe you can become Gods, you spent several pages equivocating about that,, all to come back around and agree with me.
It's all relative. I'm just saying that it took you a very, very long time to understand what I said many, many posts ago. I know for a fact that I am able to explain Mormon doctrine in a way that is very understandable to the average City-Data member. It took a lot longer than it usually does for you to understand. And as far as "gullible" is concerned, you are. You have given some of the most outlandish "examples" of what Mormons believe and teach that I have ever read on this forum. I have corrected you numerous times, and it hasn't made a dent in what you believe about us. If you don't like that I called you out your gullibility, report me. And while you're at it, report yourself for implying that Mormonism is a "cult."

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-15-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
She did source. And I highlighted it.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
It's all relative. I'm just saying that it took me a very, very long time to understand what I said many, many posts ago. And as far as "gullible" is concerned, you are. You have given some of the most outlandish "examples" of what Mormons believe and teach that I have ever read on this forum. I have corrected you numerous times, and it hasn't made a dent in what you believe about us. If you don't like that I called you out your gullibility, report me. And while you're at it, report yourself for implying that Mormonism is a "cult."
I didn't imply that it's a cult. I mentioned one aspect that is the mark of a cult. As to the rest, whatever. You just came around to agreeing to the most important thing I wanted to talk about, how Mormonism contradicts the Bible with belief in multiple Gods. You played with that for pages, and now you're all giggly about me being 'slow' for not understanding my own statement from the start????????

Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I never stated that it was. We disagreed on the interpretation of something from Corinthians that Paul said. I sourced my interpretation of that with context. Yours was used to show there is more than one God, something you keep going back and forth on, but that is what you were using your rendering of that scripture (lacking context) for at the time.
That particular verse means the same whether the two or three verses before or after if are quoted or not. I explained how I interpret it; you explained how you interpret it. We disagree. Get over it.

Quote:
As you stated above, these pre-existing souls have go to come do their human experience as part of their journey to Godhood.
What does that have to do with "all that pressure to get those pre-existing souls in the womb"? God created our spirits. Do you disagree with that statement? You may believe that He created them at the instant we were conceived, at the moment of birth, or sometime in between. I believe that He created them before our physical conception took place. Nobody ever said anything about a spirit having to grow to maturity in a womb. That would be absolutely absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality