Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 10:37 AM

10,763 posts, read 5,680,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To clarify, you mean in the sealed sense, not actually having plural wives outside of that context?
Being sealed in a Mormon temple to more than one woman is the essence of polygamy in the Mormon church.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:01 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Being sealed in a Mormon temple to more than one woman is the essence of polygamy in the Mormon church.

I am neither Mormon or Catholic, but your situation sounds analogous to the Catholic right of Matrimony. Catholics cannot divorce in the eyes of the church, and so unless the church grants an annulment a divorced person who remarries is still viewed as being married to the first spouse in the eyes of the church . Yet clearly the RCC does not teach or practice polygamy. Neither do the Mormons in this situation, since they don't recognize your second marriage , and to get remarried within the Mormon church your wife would have to have her first marriage unsealed, and THEN could be remarried and sealed again to a different spouse . But according to your own words the church does not allow people to be sealed to two spouses at the same time .

Edit* I see you say that the church has allowed your wife's former spouse to get remarried and sealed again. You also though suggest that the only way to be sealed in a second marriage is to be unsealed and only then resealed if the new spouse is a Mormon as well. Sounds like your case sort of falls through the cracks since both of you have left the church, and they have sort of allowed the former spouse to move on within the church .

Do you have evidence that the Mormons routinely allow multiple sealings , or is your case a special case since both of you have left the church and caused a conundrum for the former spouses remaining with the church ?

Last edited by wallflash; 09-18-2018 at 11:11 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 11:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I am neither Mormon or Catholic, but your situation sounds analogous to the Catholic right of Matrimony. Catholics cannot divorce in the eyes of the church, and so unless the church grants an annulment a divorced person who remarries is still viewed as being married to the first spouse in the eyes of the church . Yet clearly the RCC does not teach or practice polygamy. Neither do the Mormons in this situation, since they don't recognize your second marriage , and to get remarried within the Mormon church your wife would have to have her first marriage unsealed, and THEN could be remarried and sealed again to a different spouse . But according to your own words the church does not allow myonr to be sealed to two spouses at the same time .
There are a lot of other similarities between the 2 religions, as well.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I am neither Mormon or Catholic, but your situation sounds analogous to the Catholic right of Matrimony. Catholics cannot divorce in the eyes of the church, and so unless the church grants an annulment a divorced person who remarries is still viewed as being married to the first spouse in the eyes of the church . Yet clearly the RCC does not teach or practice polygamy. Neither do the Mormons in this situation, since they don't recognize your second marriage , and to get remarried within the Mormon church your wife would have to have her first marriage unsealed, and THEN could be remarried and sealed again to a different spouse.
Yes they do. The Mormon church seals (and recognizes the sealings) men to multiple women.

Quote:
But according to your own words the church does not allow people to be sealed to two spouses at the same time .
You misunderstand. I’m saying the exact opposite. The church DOES allow men to be sealed to multiple women at the same time.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
There are a lot of other similarities between the 2 religions, as well.

There are a lot of similarities between most churches that call themselves Christian. You are more alike to the Catholic Church than you realize .

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Edit* I see you say that the church has allowed your wife's former spouse to get remarried and sealed again. You also though suggest that the only way to be sealed in a second marriage is to be unsealed and only then resealed if the new spouse is a Mormon as well. Sounds like your case sort of falls through the cracks since both of you have left the church, and they have sort of allowed the former spouse to move on within the church .
The requirement to be unsealed only applies to women. Men don’t have to have the sealing to the former wife cancelled because the church allows men to be sealed to more than one woman. There is no “falling through the cracks.” Membership status in the Mormon church of my wife and myself is irrelevant.

Quote:
Do you have evidence that the Mormons routinely allow multiple sealings , or is your case a special case since both of you have left the church and caused a conundrum for the former spouses remaining with the church ?
This is not something that the church provides statistics about. And there is no conundrum for former spouses remaining in the church. My ex wife got remarried (and sealed) to her new Mormon husband. Our sealing was cancelled prior to that happening. This is routine. Since my current wife and I didn’t marry in a Mormon temple, and didn’t have a Mormon sealing, her sealing to her ex husband wasn’t cancelled. This is also routine. It happens in virtually every instance of this situation (the woman re marrying, but not in a Mormon sealing in a Mormon temple). The only exceptions that I am aware of are when a woman has threatened a lawsuit if the prior sealing wasn’t cancelled.

Our situation isnt extraordinary, it is actually fairly common.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
This just gets more and more interesting. Pondering on how they can be Exalted only through plural marriage, what the work around is for mainstream Mormons, it turns out they do polygamy by proxy if necessary to make sure all the peeps are in plural marriage in the spirit world.

http://www.mormonthink.com/backup/mo...r-the-dead.pdf

Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
This just gets more and more interesting. Pondering on how they can be Exalted only through plural marriage, what the work around is for mainstream Mormons, it turns out they do polygamy by proxy if necessary to make sure all the peeps are in plural marriage in the spirit world.

http://www.mormonthink.com/backup/mo...r-the-dead.pdf
Thanks for the link.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
This is a really interesting thread.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
On
September 20, 2008 in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple, a spousal sealing was
performed for Henry VIII and Ann [sic] of Cleves.
Isn't this the wife he didn't like at all? They didn't even consummate the marriage. Anyway, the Mormons have given him 14 total wives in the spirit world. His actual earthly wives (he was never married to more than one at a time on earth) and some of his mistresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality