Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Im not following, sorry.

Paul did not write the Revelation, John did.
I never said Paul wrote Revelation. I was listing people who wrote things down. Paul, the author of Revelations was another, Clement was a third, usw.

Quote:
John wrote the Revelation in A.D. 43-47.
Wait, did you not say no one wrote close to the date of his existence?

And an interesting early date. From Christian 'history', perhaps?

Quote:
Why would anyone start at the end, especially when it is an end that has not come to pass yet?
Now it is I who is not following.

Quote:
As for Pliney, if he wrote the Who's Who of A.D. 61, obviously Jesus did not make the cut.
So Jesus was a hot topic, then almost everyone forgot about him?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I never said Paul wrote Revelation. I was listing people who wrote things down. Paul, the author of Revelations was another, Clement was a third, usw.

Wait, did you not say no one wrote close to the date of his existence?

And an interesting early date. From Christian 'history', perhaps?

Now it is I who is not following.

So Jesus was a hot topic, then almost everyone forgot about him?

There is no Revelations - only the Revelation a.k.a the Apocalypse or the Revelation to John or the Apocalypse of John. The end in not plural - the Revelation is a vision that means the party is over. Boom! Out of time.

43 to 47 years after his death may seem close but its actually closer to 2 generations away from the time Christ existed.

Thank you for clearing that up. The way it was written it looked like you might be saying Paul was the author of the Revelation.

Millions of people worldwide worship him today. If he was forgotten, and not 'underground' for a while, when was he rediscovered do you imagine?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
There is no Revelations - only the Revelation a.k.a the Apocalypse or the Revelation to John or the Apocalypse of John. The end in not plural - the Revelation is a vision that means the party is over. Boom! Out of time.

43 to 47 years after his death may seem close but its actually closer to 2 generations away from the time Christ existed.

Thank you for clearing that up. The way it was written it looked like you might be saying Paul was the author of the Revelation.

Millions of people worldwide worship him today. If he was forgotten, and not 'underground' for a while, when was he rediscovered do you imagine?
1. standard grammar nazi "Revelations" is a common error and everyone knows it refers to the Book of Revelation however the s is in error.

2 "AD" refers to "Anno Domini" or "Year of our Lord" meaning after the birth of Jesus, not "After Death." Now I understand your strange dating for Revelation.

3. Yes, common English usage is easy to misunderstand for those not reading carefully.

4. A worthwhile point if you consider that the spectacular events included within the portrayal of the ministry of Jesus were just legendary elements accrued to MAKE it seem spectacular instead of merely revolutionary.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
1. standard grammar nazi "Revelations" is a common error and everyone knows it refers to the Book of Revelation however the s is in error.

2 "AD" refers to "Anno Domini" or "Year of our Lord" meaning after the birth of Jesus, not "After Death." Now I understand your strange dating for Revelation.

3. Yes, common English usage is easy to misunderstand for those not reading carefully.

4. A worthwhile point if you consider that the spectacular events included within the portrayal of the ministry of Jesus were just legendary elements accrued to MAKE it seem spectacular instead of merely revolutionary.

Do you normally go around explaining what Harry means, lol? I was under the impression he spoke English rather well.

I have to go now. Will try to catch up this evening. Have fiun all!

Old 09-17-2018, 06:45 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
In my second mention, some German grammar slipped in. You know what Genitives are like, always causing trouble.

Quote:
43 to 47 AD would be 10 to 17 years after his alleged death.

Quote:
As most of our Christian history is from the the middle of the second century AD or later, I would say sometime around then, ± 20 years.

Quote:
Do you normally go around explaining what Harry means, lol? I was under the impression he spoke English rather well.
Thank you. I always worry that my English is not good.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:

I have to go now. Will try to catch up this evening. Have fiun all!
Harry DOES speak English very well and intelligent people understand him easily. Now consider the alternative.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Default only one science

I was looking for Dark Matter's vid on a person's relationship with God where the never ending Divine CCTV becomes a bit of a pain after a while, and I found this where the point is almist made that is an Arq Atheist Axiom: "There are many religions; there is only one science."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0A_iF1B3k0

Old 09-17-2018, 04:14 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
This thread has drifted so far from the OP that it hardly seems like the same topic any longer.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality