Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Does Christianity not start with Christ?

Why don't you familiarize yourself with the teachings of Christ before you continue to reveal your ignorance for all to see.

Please point out where Jesus advocated these things you talk about. If you can't, you should admit that you are either wrong or a liar.
Why not try being honest with us if can't be with yourself. The Bible you believe in has more than just the Gospels. IT has the OT, with instructions on how to enslave not only foreigners, but your own people. Not even the Legrees did that.

And Paul? He didn't condemn slavery. "Slaves obey your masters". Because God made then your masters. And Jesus brushed up against slavery a couple of times, and nowhere does he say it's wrong. Don't try to pretend that Christianity is 'against slavery'.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:10 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Why not try being honest with us if can't be with yourself. The Bible you believe in has more than just the Gospels. IT has the OT, with instructions on how to enslave not only foreigners, but your own people. Not even the Legrees did that.

And Paul? He didn't condemn slavery. "Slaves obey your masters". Because God made then your masters. And Jesus brushed up against slavery a couple of times, and nowhere does he say it's wrong. Don't try to pretend that Christianity is 'against slavery'.
The Old Testament is there for a reference to what the New Testament sprang from. Who did Jesus enslave, or say it was okay to enslave? Christians follow the teachings of Christ. Slavery was not an oddity in the time of Christ, just like slavery - either out-right or in the form of forced prostitution and human trafficking is not an oddity today.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
In an all atheist world, the name of the game is get the money by any means necessary.
Thus speaks someone who is not only Not an atheist but who has nothing but contempt for us. Sure, you can trust the picture he paints of the world as it would be under secularism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Aaaaaaaaahahahahaha! Have you never heard of the obscene wealth of the Catholic Church? Have you never heard of televangelism?
Quite so old heathen. from Evangelists to evangelism, Money, money, money, has been the name of the game.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Ah, so you are god, and get to put an end to my participation in the discussion. No one in the western world is dictating who you have sex with Harry - unless you wanna do little kids or close relatives. If you don't want to hear about what some Christians and other religions want or don't want you to do, you simply don't go to their church. Easy stuff there. No need to get the blood pressure up over it.
So Christians no longer attack homosexuality? When did that happen?

And my blood pressure is fine. If you are projecting again, go see a doctor. Or pray, maybe.

Quote:
You don't find telling me what I think and feel, and denying my right to think and feel as I tell you I do, denying my rights? I read just fine god.
You, plural. As in a large part of the world (we do not just 'attack' Christians you know) who DO use their religious beliefs to dictate how others live.

And you (singular) can think and feel what you want. I never said otherwise. You read what is not written very well, I see.

Quote:
And, I don't need to put a childish insult out there to feel good about myself either.
Neither do I. As you can see from what you actually quoted (unless you are reading more things I never wrote).

Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
The Old Testament is there for a reference to what the New Testament sprang from. Who did Jesus enslave, or say it was okay to enslave? Christians follow the teachings of Christ. Slavery was not an oddity in the time of Christ, just like slavery - either out-right or in the form of forced prostitution and human trafficking is not an oddity today.
In the Jewish, anti Pauline gospel you (singular) know as Matthew. You know (singular), the part you (singular) ignore where Jesus says the OT laws are to be kept until the universe is destroyed.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So Christians no longer attack homosexuality? When did that happen?

And my blood pressure is fine. If you are projecting again, go see a doctor. Or pray, maybe.

Childish strikes again? When were you last beat down in the street for being gay Harry? If you were, could you not call the Police on this person who hurt you for being homosexual? Can you not marry your gay partner if you wish, and adopt children as well?

Are you lost without the crutch of ostrization, so try to keep alive what has been removed from legal society? Are you a gay dinosaur who has not accepted the changes that have been made and would not have been made if the rest of society was dead set against them?

Quote:
You, plural. As in a large part of the world (we do not just 'attack' Christians you know) who DO use their religious beliefs to dictate how others live.

And you (singular) can think and feel what you want. I never said otherwise. You read what is not written very well, I see.
Don't you mean you rhetorical? Or do you believe what every other homosexual believes regardless of what it is?

Quote:
Neither do I. As you can see from what you actually quoted (unless you are reading more things I never wrote).
Uh huh...

Old 09-15-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
In the Jewish, anti Pauline gospel you (singular) know as Matthew. You know (singular), the part you (singular) ignore where Jesus says the OT laws are to be kept until the universe is destroyed.
Jesus did not keep the laws, if you are are not misinterpreting. Although his students called him Rabbi, he was known to eat the food of the Bedouin so as not be rude (i.e. non-Kosher and therefore, unclean). Jesus was all about respecting his father, and keeping the ten commandments. Is there a right to enslave in the 10 commandments? Is there a right to harm gay people?

If you met Jesus today, he may tell you he is not a follower of the gay lifestyle Harry, but he would not do anything to shame or hurt you for it.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Is it possible that athiests attack because they are insecure in their belief that there is no god? This idea would make them more agnostic than true atheist.

Do they get as worked up over Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and other figureheads that are believed to be non-existent?

I am not a missionary, and it stirs no emotion in me one way or the other if an atheist is not a believer. I would be curious to know what an atheist gets out of vehemently opposing those that chose to believe.
This is not a new accusation. And the response is the follow up to the 'Not collecting stamps in not a hobby' Apologetic.

'But if you don't collect stamps, would you post for hours about not collecting stamps? Would you try to persuade everyone else not to collect stamps?

Yes, if a US president said "No, I don't think people who don't collect stamps should be considered citizens or patriots'. If they did, or you could only get elected if you believed in the easter Bunny, or your family wolud cut you off if you told them you didn't believe in Santa, you'd be there as an a -philatelist, a -santaistrs and A -Bunnyist just as we would.

And the Philatelists, Santaists and Bunnyists would be ignoring you on the grounds that you are only attacking these isms because you are insecure in your disbelief.

Have you never considered the Other religions and asked why you have never considered converting? because you are sure that the one you believe is true. Really - are you sure it's not because you are insecure in your faith that you refuse to consider them?

This accusation is an easy one to make, but it doesn't show up atheist insecurity: it shows up religious double standards.
Quote:
Ah. So you are, as i would have laid a bet, a Christian. And being evasive as we would expect. the OT is there as more than a reference - it is there because of ten commandments that are rammed in the face of the USA daily and which a certain type of christian wants to see made the basis of US law rather than the constitution. And you are supporting them either directly or indirectly by battling those trying to stop them getting power.

However, I'm glad to hear that you advocate for same sex rights as that is only in the OT which is only there for 'reference' and never mind Paul - if Jesus didn't actually say 'Gay sex is wrong', it's ok right?

Quote:
Childish strikes again? When were you last beat down in the street for being gay Harry? If you were, could you not call the Police on this person who hurt you for being homosexual? Can you not marry your gay partner if you wish, and adopt children as well?

Are you lost without the crutch of ostrization, so try to keep alive what has been removed from legal society? Are you a gay dinosaur who has not accepted the changes that have been made and would not have been made if the rest of society was dead set against them?

Don't you mean you rhetorical? Or do you believe what every other homosexual believes regardless of what it is?

Uh huh...
Hilarious! Best worst post of the year. GBLT rights were fought for by the Bible -believers and Christians and the rights they have not to be beat up in the street, appeal to law to uphold their rights and get married as much as a hetero person is all because the religious believers handed it to them on a plate. Well thank you Mister Bible -believer, for the staunch support you gave to gay rights while the secular side sat on their asses with their thumbs in their mouths.

Didn't we say that as soon as the religious battle to strip Gays of their rights and make it a capital offence again was lost, the Believers would claim all the credit for the win?

But clearly you didn't get the memo - The religious believers are STILL trying to repeal gay rights. So what are they? Not Real Christians, perhaps?

Quote:
Pay back for what? You are not old enough to have experienced anything close to the Inquisition, lol.

It sounds like you want your rights respected but have no tolerance for the rights of others. That never works out.

Can you prove your 'reality'? Please provide proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no god. Thank you.
That's almost as bad as your 'Bible does not teach slavery' post.

Let me give you a lesson in Logic 101, Burden of proof is on the claimant.

You claim a god exists. We do NOT claim that it doesn't But we don't accept that it does until you prove it. Burden of proof is on you - not us.

As to the rest - projection.Secularists are very much concerned with the rights of others, of all religions or none. That means that everyone's right get respected - not just those of Christians.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-15-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Childish strikes again?
Your need to misrepresent is amusing.

Quote:
When were you last beat down in the street for being gay Harry?
Not being gay, never. I am talking about religious (including Christian) attacks on people who are gay. And not just physical attacks. Think Phelps.

Quote:
If you were, could you not call the Police on this person who hurt you for being homosexual? Can you not marry your gay partner if you wish, and adopt children as well?
If I were gay, here in Germany, yes. In other countries, no.

Quote:
Even if I was gay, this makes no sense.

Quote:
No, I mean when I originally wrote 'you' I was referring to Christians in general. Now I mean you, singular.

Quote:
Uh huh...
There was no insult, childish or not, in what you was quoted. Maybe as a Christian your persecution complex is too finely tuned.

And I see you ignored the post where I talked about evidence. Was it not to your liking?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Do they get as worked up over Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and other figureheads that are believed to be non-existent?
Do YOU believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and other figureheads that are believed to be non-existent? If not, why?

Quote:
I am not a missionary, and it stirs no emotion in me one way or the other if an atheist is not a believer. I would be curious to know what an atheist gets out of vehemently opposing those that chose to believe.
Would you oppose Muslims if they were trying to get you to pray 5 times a day or if they were trying to get Islam taught as 'truth' in our schools, colleges and universities. Would you speak out if Hindus were trying to get laws passed based on what they think Ganesh wants for you? If the answer is yes then you will understand why we speak out against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality