Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Especially the part about about religion being the cause. I would expand it to over reach into personal liberty and a belief system that they can't quite seem to respect and leave alone. It's wonderful that someone religious might feel the need to "save" me, but it's not wonderful when that belief system doesn't respect my wish not to be saved. Add to the mix their obsessive need to dictate when a woman should be forced to carry an unwanted child. The lack of respect for another point of view is irritating.
It is indeed a problem when religion wants to dictate to others how they should live, basing it on an old book, so they claim, though it seems rather more based on their own preferences.

It becomes quite alarming when they think that their religion puts them beyond the law of the land... no that wasn't what I meant, I mean they feel that Bible directives ought to supersede the Law of the Land.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Mark 16:15
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Matthew 24:14
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.”

Someone is not following the commandments of their Lord and savior!

There are numerous Christians here that have chosen to barricade themselves in the Christianity subforum, and refuse to come out to play. Which I find odd. This is the perfect platform to preach their beliefs, and they have a group of non believers already gathered together just waiting to be "enlightened." To have the courage of one's convictions, means to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism. Atheists at least have the courage of their convictions. Christians, it seems, do not.

There is another passage in scripture that says "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" (Matthew 8:26) It's not as though the whole world is watching and judging.

But then, maybe the verdict is already in.
I must say that it reminds me to appreciate the ones that do come out to play. But it's so poor. It's all slapping the Bible and saying how blind we are. Crap.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I see the OP prefers to stay in the Christianity foxhole. I wonder why?
Maybe they ran out of straw.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:16 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
These are the points I gathered from the original post. Christianity doesn't make sense. We know. Please respond positively to it anyway. There is only one way to respond positively to it: believe it.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
These are the points I gathered from the original post. Christianity doesn't make sense. We know. Please respond positively to it anyway. There is only one way to respond positively to it: believe it.
Ah. Gocha. I had to read it a bit first. The message of the OP is the old old one - unbelievers, Bible critics, skeptics, materialists, Humanists, Darwinists and similar Perdition -bound Satanspawn, cease your attacks on Christianity.

Which being interpreted, means: "If you won't believe" (as Elyn says) "Please shut up and go away". That's all the message is or ever was.

We are not going away and we are not going to shut up. Never again.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-15-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 06:37 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
You want to murder the shepherd? Without the shepherd, whose gonna domesticate the sheep dogs?

Ain't gonna be nothin left, but a pack of wolves.

Which side are you on? You better think twice if you're a sheep. You're not made for this world. Don't confuse entitlement with strength and resilience.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:48 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You want to murder the shepherd? Without the shepherd, whose gonna domesticate the sheep dogs?

Ain't gonna be nothin left, but a pack of wolves.

Which side are you on? You better think twice if you're a sheep. You're not made for this world. Don't confuse entitlement with strength and resilience.
Which shepherd, the one who is your god; the one who is the son of your god; the angel who never came to earth; or the one who is the son of the god who is NOT Yahweh?

They are all in your religious book. You had better think twice, because apparently if you get it wrong, you will be partying with us in the afterlife.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:56 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,191,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Which shepherd, the one who is your god; the one who is the son of your god; the angel who never came to earth; or the one who is the son of the god who is NOT Yahweh?

They are all in your religious book. You had better think twice, because apparently if you get it wrong, you will be partying with us in the afterlife.
In this world, you adapt or you die.

Weakness is not tolerated. You must accept the reality of your situation. If you are weak, then you will be slaughtered.

That is the world you desire and that is the world you get. Oh, you thought your opinion mattered? You think people should do what you want them to do? And who are you? You are nobody in an atheist world.

Your idea of secular humanity is meaningless unless you have the power to back up your assertions. If you have no power, you are weak. The weak will not survive.

And the consequences? Nil.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:16 AM

I take at least this point from you diatribe - Secularism needs clout. The idea that just reasonable talk will change anything is misguided. It needs to be known that, if you want to get elected, court the secular vote.

As to the dire warnings about the dog eat dog world that you think a secular society will be - well, who these days can trust a Believer's view of unbelievers?

Old 09-15-2018, 07:16 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
In this world, you adapt or you die.

Weakness is not tolerated. You must accept the reality of your situation. If you are weak, then you will be slaughtered.

That is the world you desire and that is the world you get. Oh, you thought your opinion mattered? You think people should do what you want them to do? And who are you? You are nobody in an atheist world.

Your idea of secular humanity is meaningless unless you have the power to back up your assertions. If you have no power, you are weak. The weak will not survive.

And the consequences? Nil.
Your fantasy dystopia represents one possible world. There are many others, including one that looks a lot like what we already have here in the US, except post-Christian. Present-day US is admittedly quite flawed and skewed to the powerful for my liking (even with the nominal presence of religion--you seem to be overlooking this, conveniently), but it's not like what you're describing, and given that change is often incremental until suddenly it no longer is ('punctuated equilibrium' as applied to societal evolution), we'd likely be looking at a transitional period until perhaps something radically different would emerge. My concern in a hypothetical (and entirely unrealistic, given the starting conditions) 'godless' US would not be the 'early deconverts' so much as all the 'mericans such as yourself who seem unable to conceive of existing ethically without religion. Maybe y'all would be raping and pillaging on the regular, as your concerns about society at large may be grounded in projection. Or maybe, more likely, a future nonreligious self that you could hypothetically become would develop a secular ethical system in ways yet inconceivable to your currently obstinately religious self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality