Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Because you quoted Jobster and the irony of your last sentence was missed. Easy to do.
Very easy. I's one reason why I have this rather childish liking for using emoticons. It is a wink and a nod when you have your tongue in your cheek, other than gettiung at the bit of lunchtime anchovy.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This only makes sense if you were responding to Jobster.
Why you quoted me, I do not understand?
I thought you agreed with jobster by saying...back to the real world...my reading skills must be failing me, so sorry.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I think people should be judged individually and not by a collective belief.
Exactly...a kind and magnanimous statement...a breath of fresh air to me.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:32 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Because you quoted Jobster and the irony of your last sentence was missed. Easy to do.
Now I understand, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Very easy. I's one reason why I have this rather childish liking for using emoticons. It is a wink and a nod when you have your tongue in your cheek, other than gettiung at the bit of lunchtime anchovy.
Perhaps we need an emoticon for "German sense of humor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I thought you agreed with jobster by saying...back to the real world...my reading skills must be failing me, so sorry.
No problem. I will use an emoticon next time.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Now I understand, thank you.

Perhaps we need an emoticon for "German sense of humor".

No problem. I will use an emoticon next time.
We haven't an emoticon, but we do have a Youtube clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Old 09-14-2018, 12:53 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball
All the attacks on Christianity I’ve seen on these forums boil down to ridicule:
How would you respond to a grown adult who sincerely believed in the existence of Santa Claus and his team of flying reindeer? Would you ridicule him? Would you take an analytical approach and try to reason with him by pointing out the many factual flaws and contradictions to logic and reason in the claims he was making? Would you ignore him entirely and allow him to continue living unmolested in his make believe world, even though he claimed the right to attempt to impose his juvenile view of reality on the rest of society? What approach would you take? Anything you say that contradicts his beliefs, he is going to consider a personal attack. Many non believers avoid engaging believers in debate like they would avoid the plague, because they find the experience rather like arguing with a child. Those non believers that do agree to enter into a debate with believers know that they will be forced to suffer through insults, accusations, anger and displays of petulance for doing so. But the only way to have an open dialog with another person is to bluntly say the things that must be said.

And then wait to see if the other person is willing to consider thoughts and information that were not part of the rigid control of their thought processes that were a part of the indoctrination process they were subjected to as children. It's not easy to overcome one's lifetime of programing. It means being exposed to an entirely new reality. Many people are simply not equipped to make such a radical change.

And so their solution is to withdraw back into the safety of the world where everyone believes as they do, and not to respond to all the confusing new ideas.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:18 PM

It's got so I don't believe or trust them any more. Every effort to try to get us to Improve our Image, by being nice, less Wude, less aggressive, less strident, less argumentative, less visible, is simply (even if they don't see it themselves) efforts to try to shame or browbeat us into vanishing.

If you take three assumptions as a Given - they are not out to do us any favours, they want us to shut up and go away, and that is all they have ever wanted, and if you keep 'projection' in mind, you won't go far wrong - you stand a pretty good chance of not being bamboozled by these people.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I see the OP prefers to stay in the Christianity foxhole. I wonder why?

Old 09-14-2018, 03:42 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Quite so. There was a thread on not holding Christians responsible for the world's ills, or some such. Indeed the atheist mindset would insist that human nature, rather than religion is the basic problem and that religion is NOT the solution, rather than being the cause.

Christians do not do as they say, generally. They act as the heathen, materialists and Darwinists do for the most part, though they do interlard it with more prayers and Hallelujiahs than we need. Even fundamentalists are basically good people who may do the talk but not the walk, which is all to the good in itself. The problem is the Talk.

Especially the part about about religion being the cause. I would expand it to over reach into personal liberty and a belief system that they can't quite seem to respect and leave alone. It's wonderful that someone religious might feel the need to "save" me, but it's not wonderful when that belief system doesn't respect my wish not to be saved. Add to the mix their obsessive need to dictate when a woman should be forced to carry an unwanted child. The lack of respect for another point of view is irritating.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:48 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I see the OP prefers to stay in the Christianity foxhole. I wonder why?
Mark 16:15
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Matthew 24:14
“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.”

Someone is not following the commandments of their Lord and savior!

There are numerous Christians here that have chosen to barricade themselves in the Christianity subforum, and refuse to come out to play. Which I find odd. This is the perfect platform to preach their beliefs, and they have a group of non believers already gathered together just waiting to be "enlightened." To have the courage of one's convictions, means to act in accordance with one's beliefs, especially in spite of criticism. Atheists at least have the courage of their convictions. Christians, it seems, do not.

There is another passage in scripture that says "Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?" (Matthew 8:26) It's not as though the whole world is watching and judging.

But then, maybe the verdict is already in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality