Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So...if a 13 year old was "aware of all the ramifications", and was fully consenting and desirous of having sex with someone in their 50s, you would then see that as "morally acceptable"...since it met your "moral standard"? In your opinion, of course.
If that actually could be demonstrated, yes. It is not a matter of forms of law, but of substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If that actually could be demonstrated, yes. It is not a matter of forms of law, but of substance.
Which goes to show how "The Law" is such a poor moral arbiter...especially about sex.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Which goes to show how "The Law" is such a poor moral arbiter...especially about sex.
ANY law is going to less than perfectly represent the principle we are talking about. Are you beginning to catch on?

Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Does an Invisible Sky Monster really watch you have sex and/or care how you do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. But you never fail to amaze me at the level of crass, obnoxious, bigoted remarks. I'm done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, let's change what Freak said this way: "Does an omniscient God really watch you have sex and/or care how you do it?"

Want to answer now, or is that still crass, obnoxious, and bigoted?
Bump for BFun.

Come on buddy, what say you?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-19-2018 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Corrected spelling.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:14 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
That is true...it is legal. In the Middle East men in their 50s marry girls in their very early teens. And, it would figure, are having sex with them.
In the U.S., that guy would be considered a horrible criminal and busted as a pedophile rapist...there, everyone celebrates.
That is why I say the "The Law" doesn't count for squat as to what is Right or Wrong, or, Good or Bad.
The Law, and morality in general are subjective and based upon the personal opinion of those drafting laws or expressing a moral code.
Sex is typically the first thing most think of when they assess "morals".
In the 'good old days' when America was much more religious than it is now, no state had an age of consent higher than 12. Delaware's was 7.
Children and Youth in History | Age of Consent Laws

Quote:
My guess is that the OP saw there hadn't been a thread on homosexuality started recently, and figured the forum was needing one. That's what this will eventually turn into.
The OP's post only mentioned sex generally. Where orientation was indirectly referenced at all, it was heterosexual - as in talk of procreation. The poster who obviously wants to turn this thread into a discussion of homosexuality is you, and in typical fashion you do so while pointing a finger at the OP. Pathetic.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
My guess is that the OP saw there hadn't been a thread on homosexuality started recently, and figured the forum was needing one. That's what this will eventually turn into.
I went back and reread the OP and saw no mention of homosexuality. (Kinda makes me wonder why you brought it up. ) I THINK the thread was started because a member posted in another thread that sex was only approved by God when it was for procreation only, and wanted to explore other religious aspects.

Now we've got somebody trying to drag it off topic and talk about sex with kids.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I went back and reread the OP and saw no mention of homosexuality. (Kinda makes me wonder why you brought it up. ) I THINK the thread was started because a member posted in another thread that sex was only approved by God when it was for procreation only, and wanted to explore other religious aspects.

Now we've got somebody trying to drag it off topic and talk about sex with kids.
The OP asked about--- "the purpose of the sex act in humans, whether it is divine intent or biological imperative". Then broke down the reasons humans have sex.
That would include ALL human sexual interaction, no?
Homosexual sex accounts for quite a bit of the sex in humans. It sure would not be for "procreation". So, what is the motivation or "purpose"? Why is it not reasonable that is part of the discussion?
Also, sex that has occurred before the female could reproduce. That has also been very common in human history. What is the purpose or motivation there? Why not discuss that as well?
And discuss how all this would be viewed from the standpoint of various theological concepts...such as theologies common to the Middle East or the Americas...or viewed by those that do not embrace any theology.
So, both would certainty apply to the OP and are not at all "off topic" as per the main questions being asked in the OP.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Since this is the Religion and Spirituality - not just the Christianity and Spirituality - thread, I'd like to offer a shout-out to some spiritual traditions in which sexual pleasure is not consider shameful or sinful but, rather, is seen as a potentially spiritual exercise. Various Pagan traditions come to mind, where some spiritual ceremonies are explicitly sexual. And of course there is Tantra Yoga, the Kama Sutra, etc.

Personally, I think that sexual pleasure can, indeed, be an avenue of spirituality, with or without any prior approval or sanctioning from any sort of God. Of course, there are downsides too. Like any potentially addictive activity, it can lead also lead to various sorts of strife and, like any pleasure, it can be a way to become totally self-absorbed in potentially harmful behavior. Additionally, of course, sex can be used a means for abusing power.

With any source of great power, there comes a potential for great abuse, and thus there is a need for moral/spiritual guidance. Unfortunately, the culturally pervasive equation of sex with shame and sin derails a lot of potential for healthy spiritual guidance in this realm of life. I see the standard sex/shame/sin linkage as a sort of spiritual poison that has sickened most of humanity and created a lot of unnecessary suffering for innumerable generations.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Well Mensa and Gaylen have done it again. Yes, homosexuality would be appropriate to discuss in this context of the purpose of sexuality in humans. For instance the primary purpose could not be present, but why not the second as well as the third?

Interestingly enough the person Mensa mentioned doesn't seem to want to participate here.

Last edited by nateswift; 09-19-2018 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well Mensa and Gaylen have done it again. Yes, homosexuality would be appropriate to discuss in this context of the purpose of sexuality in humans. For instance the primary purpose could not be present, but why not the second as well as the third?

Interestingly enough the person Mensa mentioned doesn't seem to want to participate here.
Pleasure is a bigtime motivation for the purpose of the sex act.
MOF...when you get right down to it, it is the only true physical pleasure. Everything else just a brings you from pain and/or discomfort, back to normality. Only sex takes you from normal to feeling better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality