Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times

Advertisements

It occurred to me that a separate thread was needed to examine what might be called the purpose of the sex act in humans, whether it is divine intent or biological imperative.

I don't speak for God but the only two reasons given biblically (as far as I know) are

1 for procreation

2 for a strong family bond "And why one? Because He seeks godly offspring" Malachi 2:15 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’" Matt 19:5

So can an examination of some of the more obvious elements of sexuality shed light on possible divine intention as well as the biological elements of use and misuse?

Say a third element or imperative
3 enjoyment Doesn't a good sex life contribute to the devotion of a couple? Are there other animals besides Bonobos in which the female can enjoy the act rather than seem to endure it for the sake of procreation?

I can't think of another saspect that would apply but if you can, bring it on.

So the question is how these elements are good or subject to abuse.

For instance: procreation; needed to carry on the species, but haven't we overdone it? Shouldn't we be looking for appropriate ways to limit it?

For instance: When a family bond and the sexuality is used for dominance instead of real devotion in both partners.

For instance: When enjoyment becomes the whole purpose and the element of relationship dropped with attendant risks both health and possibly mental health

Food for thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:44 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
This is religious post how?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is religious post how?
Ummmmm. Well, considering what people's perception of what God wants might be religious in nature. There are some who would like to ignore the whole subject, however so you need not post.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
This is another very much not for me thread. sex is far too serious a matter to be debated on R/S.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Ummmmm. Well, considering what people's perception of what God wants might be religious in nature. There are some who would like to ignore the whole subject, however so you need not post.

Sorry, but god told me to. Also, god told me to remind of "thou shall not judge".

Otherwise, as you made wrong assumption, to answer your Op one needs to know what exactly a human is. Also, what exactly god is. If you were to approach it from "god" perspective.
As soon as one has those two questions cleared, questions you posted, dear nateswisft, are clear as child tear.

Unfortunately, it will take roughly a book to explain - so I shall leave the search to you. You will find the answers, this life or another. Everyone does.

PS Isn't it a bad form to tell people to not post in public forum?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sorry, but god told me to. Also, god told me to remind of "thou shall not judge".

Otherwise, as you made wrong assumption, to answer your Op one needs to know what exactly a human is. Also, what exactly god is. If you were to approach it from "god" perspective.
As soon as one has those two questions cleared, questions you posted, dear nateswisft, are clear as child tear.

Unfortunately, it will take roughly a book to explain - so I shall leave the search to you. You will find the answers, this life or another. Everyone does.

PS Isn't it a bad form to tell people to not post in public forum?
It's not bad form to tell people that to continue posting inanities is likely to be looked down on.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:48 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Still people who engage in promiscuity with lust will attract the demonic spirit of this world , which is why God tells people to take heed in sexuality

Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
It occurred to me that a separate thread was needed to examine what might be called the purpose of the sex act in humans, whether it is divine intent or biological imperative.

I don't speak for God but the only two reasons given biblically (as far as I know) are

1 for procreation

2 for a strong family bond "And why one? Because He seeks godly offspring" Malachi 2:15 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’" Matt 19:5

So can an examination of some of the more obvious elements of sexuality shed light on possible divine intention as well as the biological elements of use and misuse?

3 enjoyment Doesn't a good sex life contribute to the devotion of a couple? Are there other animals besides Bonobos in which the female can enjoy the act rather than seem to endure it for the sake of procreation?

For instance: procreation; needed to carry on the species, but haven't we overdone it? Shouldn't we be looking for appropriate ways to limit it?

For instance: When a family bond and the sexuality is used for dominance instead of real devotion in both partners.

For instance: When enjoyment becomes the whole purpose and the element of relationship dropped with attendant risks both health and possibly mental health

Food for thought

IMO, it’s generally a human need regulated by religion for those who choose to follow a set rules and boundaries set by God’s guidance because they have faith that it’s good for them.

Otherwise, it remains a need and many fulfill it as they would like to. We then have a second layer of rules and regulation set by our laws of land - Many follow this and some don’t. And those who don’t face the consequences.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:09 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
The Song of Songs, which is Solomon’s.

Chapter 7

“How beautiful are your feet in sandals,
O prince’s daughter!
The curves of your hips are like jewels,
The work of the hands of an artist.

“Your navel is like a round goblet
Which never lacks mixed wine;
Your belly is like a heap of wheat
Fenced about with lilies.

“Your two breasts are like two fawns,
Twins of a gazelle.

“Your neck is like a tower of ivory,
Your eyes like the pools in Heshbon
By the gate of Bath-rabbim;
Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon,
Which faces toward Damascus.

“Your head crowns you like Carmel,
And the flowing locks of your head are like purple threads;
The king is captivated by your tresses.

“How beautiful and how delightful you are,
My love, with all your charms!

“Your stature is like a palm tree,
And your breasts are like its clusters.

“I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree,
I will take hold of its fruit stalks.’
Oh, may your breasts be like clusters of the vine,
And the fragrance of your breath like apples,

And your mouth like the best wine!”

“It goes down smoothly for my beloved,

Flowing gently through the lips of those who fall asleep.

“I am my beloved’s,
And his desire is for me.

“Come, my beloved, let us go out into the country,
Let us spend the night in the villages.

“Let us rise early and go to the vineyards;
Let us see whether the vine has budded
And its blossoms have opened,
And whether the pomegranates have bloomed.
There I will give you my love.

“The mandrakes have given forth fragrance;
And over our doors are all choice fruits,
Both new and old,
Which I have saved up for you, my beloved.

Some of the poetry can make us chuckle, but some of it is downright sultry.

“Your stature is like a palm tree,
And your breasts are like its clusters.

“I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree,
I will take hold of its fruit stalks.’

I post chapter 7 because its probably the best part of the whole book. Some of it get repetitive, and some of it feels silly - at least for modern readers. Things like, You are beautiful. Your nose is like a tower, lol.

Regardless, I don't know how anyone can read the Song of Songs and believe that God didn't want us to enjoy love. Solomon is going to climb the palm tree. That's some sexy stuff right there.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:

1 for procreation

Food for thought
I pass no judgements about sex. As long as it is between consenting adults, without harm.
What is written in religious books about sex is the opinion of the writer...and subjective.

Sex is also undertaken as a vocational endeavor...even by those in relationships. As a "product" so to speak, in the form of a service...or as a performance.
So...there can be commercial reasons to engage in sex...where there is no other motivation than financial. They may or may not "enjoy it"...like any other work one could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality