Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's been my experience that most people claiming to be born again are confused, poorly educated, lack life skills, and are easily led by manipulative pastors.
There's a certain subset of Christians that took that up as a slogan back in the 60s/70s, as I mentioned, and began to use it as a self-descriptor.

I have a "born-again" uncle. He is 80 years old. He found Jesus in his 50s and suddenly he knew Jesus better than anyone else in the family, including his sister who had lived a Christian life since she was a teenager. He'd lecture my mother for not being as enthusiastic about Jesus as he was. He even wrote and self-published a book about how easy it is to become born-again. Meanwhile, my mother was the one taking care of their mentally and physically disabled sister and their elderly mother while he jetted around the world being Mr. Born-Again.

He is neither poorly educated nor did he lack life skills. He was a successful businessman, very outgoing, wealthy, and well-connected. However, when one who knows him well speaks with him, the phrase that comes to mind is "pompous ass". For him, "born-again" was just another vehicle for showing others that he is smarter and better than they are, pretty much the same as he was before he became "born again". "I am the BEST Christian" was just another layer to his self-promotion repertoire.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a certain subset of Christians that took that up as a slogan back in the 60s/70s, as I mentioned, and began to use it as a self-descriptor.

I have a "born-again" uncle. He is 80 years old. He found Jesus in his 50s and suddenly he knew Jesus better than anyone else in the family, including his sister who had lived a Christian life since she was a teenager. He'd lecture my mother for not being as enthusiastic about Jesus as he was. He even wrote and self-published a book about how easy it is to become born-again. Meanwhile, my mother was the one taking care of their mentally and physically disabled sister and their elderly mother while he jetted around the world being Mr. Born-Again.

He is neither poorly educated nor did he lack life skills. He was a successful businessman, very outgoing, wealthy, and well-connected. However, when one who knows him well speaks with him, the phrase that comes to mind is "pompous ass". For him, "born-again" was just another vehicle for showing others that he is smarter and better than they are, pretty much the same as he was before he became "born again". "I am the BEST Christian" was just another layer to his self-promotion repertoire.

Dumb or smart, secure or insecure, born-agains are bores and a bane unto my spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 11:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am genuinely interested to know what exactly does it mean, and more importantly what’s the historical aspect of it? What are it’s origins? Does anyone know when was the first time this term was used, and by whom?
The term isn't used by the prophets, but Isaiah and others do explain it where a demand goes out that a woman should give birth to a fully grown man, and Isaiah says,'' Who has heard of such a thing?''

The idea is that you become a bride of Christ, a virgin who is then found to be with child, and you raise this child in the milk of the word to then mature him with the meat of the word.

Being born again is something everyone claims, but they are mistaken, people assume that being born again happens over night when it in fact takes years to be born again, and I don't even know any born again people. Paul said that those Galatians were his children because they had not yet studied enough to understand or for Christ to have been formed in them yet, being born again is after much study where Christ is actually formed in you as a new creature, and when this new creature is matured, it is caught up to God to sit in heavely places while you continue your life.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
This is when God spirit moves on a person spirit , and Jesus is praying for this person ..... See it is not just a conjecture of ideas of the manipulation of the pastor , but this born again come as people repent of sin and ask Jesus to come on ones life through the prayers of people who are born again already , and living God Spirit abides of the convert , and will develop the person for heaven , and callings from God , and will protect their souls in the afterlife from the devil

Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're right. Born a second time. So again. The first was into Adam, the 2nd time is into the "New Adam".
No, that’s not what it means...He was telling Nicodemus that he was born from above because he recognized who Jesus was...Read it in context...

Old 10-16-2018, 03:36 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Default Born again Christian ?

Greek Word Studies : Born (begotten, father of, conceived) (1080)(gennao)
(gennao from genos = offspring, in turn from ginomai = to become) means to beget, to generate. To beget Is spoken of men (Mt 1:2-16), whereas to bear is spoken of women. The passive voice means to be begotten.

The most notable uses of gennao are in the description of Jesus' virgin birth in which He was "conceived (gennao) in her (Mary) of the Holy Spirit." (Mt 1:20). He is described as "begotten (gennao)." (Acts 13:33).

born again = gennaō anōthen

gennaō = conceived, begotten
anōthen = from the beginning (over again)

This suggests that we will be born again after our death as a Spirit because we obviously cannot be a Spirit while still in our mortal body. That which is born of Spirit is Spirit. No one can flit about like the wind in their physical bodies. This is contrary to the beliefs of those many “born again” Christians who think they are “born again” while still alive in their mortal body. This after death concept is reinforced in

1 Corinthians 15:36:
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die

The confusion stems from an improper understanding of the phrase translated as born again (gennaō anothen). It actually means conceived or begotten from above, from a higher place, of things that come from heaven or God. It does not mean an actual birth. The phrase “born again” can be made clearer by understanding the phrase it most resembles “born of God” (gennaō ek theos "begotten of God") which means "to be conceived by God" as a spiritual embryo.

Embryos must mature sufficiently to actually be born. It is our actions in "love of God and each other" through our lives that achieves that spiritual maturation and determines what we have "built upon the foundation of Jesus"(wood, hay, stubble or gold, silver, etc.)This is what those who call themselves "born again" while still in the flesh are actually referring to.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Greek Word Studies : Born (begotten, father of, conceived) (1080)(gennao)
(gennao from genos = offspring, in turn from ginomai = to become) means to beget, to generate. To beget Is spoken of men (Mt 1:2-16), whereas to bear is spoken of women. The passive voice means to be begotten.

The most notable uses of gennao are in the description of Jesus' virgin birth in which He was "conceived (gennao) in her (Mary) of the Holy Spirit." (Mt 1:20). He is described as "begotten (gennao)." (Acts 13:33).

born again = gennaō anōthen

gennaō = conceived, begotten
anōthen = from the beginning (over again)

This suggests that we will be born again after our death as a Spirit because we obviously cannot be a Spirit while still in our mortal body. That which is born of Spirit is Spirit. No one can flit about like the wind in their physical bodies. This is contrary to the beliefs of those many “born again” Christians who think they are “born again” while still alive in their mortal body. This after death concept is reinforced in

1 Corinthians 15:36:
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die

The confusion stems from an improper understanding of the phrase translated as born again (gennaō anothen). It actually means conceived or begotten from above, from a higher place, of things that come from heaven or God. It does not mean an actual birth. The phrase “born again” can be made clearer by understanding the phrase it most resembles “born of God” (gennaō ek theos "begotten of God") which means "to be conceived by God" as a spiritual embryo.

Embryos must mature sufficiently to actually be born. It is our actions in "love of God and each other" through our lives that achieves that spiritual maturation and determines what we have "built upon the foundation of Jesus"(wood, hay, stubble or gold, silver, etc.)This is what those who call themselves "born again" while still in the flesh are actually referring to.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If one is not generated from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God.

G509

ἄνωθεν

anōthen

an'-o-then

From G507; from above; by analogy from the first; by implication anew: - from above, again, from the beginning (very first), the top.

Total KJV occurrences: 13

Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, Truly, truly, I say to you, If one is not generated from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God.

G509

ἄνωθεν

anōthen

an'-o-then

From G507; from above; by analogy from the first; by implication anew: - from above, again, from the beginning (very first), the top.

Total KJV occurrences: 13
Come to Jesus, Richard. You can be born again from above in your Messiah.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I’m just fine the way I am...

Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
I am not born again yet, but at least I know it, here you acting as if you are born again telling another person that he must be born again.

Do you know that a woman gets pregnant and that this pregnancy lasts for a long time, and did you know that before a person gives birth that they have to go through labor pains?

Did you know that the New Testament is chuck full of instructions about these labor pains?

You think a person says,'' Jesus,'' and all of the sudden they pop out a full grown mature baby.

You can't be born again unless you go through the birth pains laid out and detailed in the fall holy days. Paul was teaching his people FOR YEARS, and he taught them face to face and in letters and he was shocked, amazed and perplexed by them because Jesus had not even been formed in them after all that time......

Did you know that after Jesus is formed in you and after a new creature is matured in you that you literally give birth to a child, where that child is caught up to heaven?

Revelation is all about this birth and Satan going after all those who are to be born, and who does it say these people are? It says they are those who keep the law, and you don't keep the law

You don't know what born again means because you don't have the instructions, you believe what is assumed by everyone but is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality