Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
well, it may be nonsense to you. but what about the believer who chooses to believe because he is endowed with the individual freedom to believe. only autocrats who think they are intellectually superiority seem to condemn those with such beliefs.

my rebuttal to non- tolerant secularists is this: nobody can prove or disprove the possibilty of a creator

. that may be subjectively ignorant to scientist; on the hand, it may be philosphically satisfying for people who are not sure for the reason of their existence
How does one choose to believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:45 AM

241 posts, read 95,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I was very much into New Age in the 1980s. I had studied comparative religion and anthropology, and I was looking for what all religions and spiritual traditions have in common. I also became interested in holistic philosophy and alternative science at that time.

I am glad for all that I learned from being involved in New Age spirituality. Except I gradually got away from it and have stopped thinking of myself as a New Ager. I don't like the fact that they seem to deny everything negative. They don't seem able to deal with what I think is the reality -- you can't have light without darkness.

i am not really too familar with new age.

i did come to the conlusion that are two types

one is similar to christianity and bhuddism.while the other is a narcissitic one that accumulates karma for good business success, health and spiritual growth, without dealing with poor or imperfect people and the unpleasant practicalities of life

bhudda and jesus say in their own way that suffering occurs in the practical world; on the other hand, the narcissitic version of new age regards stock decreases, common colds and poor social eye sores as the result of bad karma. some meditate to harness good karna to drive the poor social eyesores away which accumulates good karma for their portfoilios and future investmebts

it is interesting to note that edgar cayce, a name that is synonmous with new age, not only suffered, but was often poor.

the narcissitic version of new age seems to regard homeless and those who make under $50,000 bad karma; in fact, narcissitic new age types give meditation advice the poor so they accumulate good karma in their invisible bank account to become rich.

they also donate lemon and mint soap because it accumulates good karma which means a bigger good karma account to withstand stock sell offs, disease and poor social eye sores.just kidding

excuse unedited cellphone grammar
excuse unedited grammar

Last edited by spiros7; 10-18-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
well, it may be nonsense to you. but what about the believer who chooses to believe because he is endowed with the individual freedom to believe. only autocrats who think they are intellectually superiority seem to condemn those with such beliefs.

my rebuttal to non- tolerant secularists is this: nobody can prove or disprove the possibilty of a creator

. that may be subjectively ignorant to scientist; on the hand, it may be philosphically satisfying for people who are not sure for the reason of their existence
I never advocated forcing anyone to do anything. I simply pointed out that nonsense is nonsense. If a person chooses to believe that Jesus returned to life and subsequently flew away, or that Muhammad once rode a flying steed up to heaven to visit God, for example, that is entirely up to them. But there is an understanding that certain unrealistic claims which conform to actions or beliefs that contradict all common observation and therefore all common sense are unrealistic. Nonsense! If a person chooses to subscribe to beliefs that are apparent nonsense, that is up to them. But they shouldn't then be surprised if their credibility is questioned, and their opinions are ignored, or even ridiculed.

Making up a reason for existence because one finds a particular reason satisfying is nothing more than make believe. It's an illusion. Illusions only work so long as nothing occurs to puncture the illusion. Reality oftens works to puncture illusions, I'm afraid. Some people DO manage to sustain their childlike illusions for a lifetime, of course. Whether that is a good thing or not is also a matter of opinion.

I was never much for subscribing to apparent nonsense just because others believe in apparent nonsense. I have always found concrete answers based on physical reality much more satisfying.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post

well, i dont know if cs lewis' business interests influenced his conversion to christianity. one can argue that his public conversion attracted a more broad and prevalent customer base. i cant infer that cs lewis coverted to sell more books.

it is a fact, however, that religion is not merely for the ignorant poor as some often assume

here are articles that may answer your question:

Survey on physicians’ religious beliefs shows majority faithful

https://m.phys.org/news/2015-12-worl...cientists.html

Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
One looks at all the factors available to him, recognizes that he can't PROVE anything in "spiritual" matters and says, "THIS is what makes sense to me."

Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I never advocated forcing anyone to do anything. I simply pointed out that nonsense is nonsense. If a person chooses to believe that Jesus returned to life and subsequently flew away, or that Muhammad once rode a flying steed up to heaven to visit God, for example, that is entirely up to them. But there is an understanding that certain unrealistic claims which conform to actions or beliefs that contradict all common observation and therefore all common sense are unrealistic. Nonsense! If a person chooses to subscribe to beliefs that are apparent nonsense, that is up to them. But they shouldn't then be surprised if their credibility is questioned, and their opinions are ignored, or even ridiculed.

Making up a reason for existence because one finds a particular reason satisfying is nothing more than make believe. It's an illusion. Illusions only work so long as nothing occurs to puncture the illusion. Reality oftens works to puncture illusions, I'm afraid. Some people DO manage to sustain their childlike illusions for a lifetime, of course. Whether that is a good thing or not is also a matter of opinion.

I was never much for subscribing to apparent nonsense just because others believe in apparent nonsense. I have always found concrete answers based on physical reality much more satisfying.

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN.com

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
well, i dont know if cs lewis' business interests influenced his conversion to christianity. one can argue that his public conversion attracted a more broad and prevalent customer base. i cant infer that cs lewis coverted to sell more books.

it is a fact, however, that religion is not merely for the ignorant poor as some often assume

here are articles that may answer your question:

You didn't answer the question of how one can choose to believe.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer the question of how one chooses to believe.
i cant answer a question for an individual because it would require me to make generalizations and assumptions.

i was an agnostic who became to believe in a creator.

i dont know how other atheist/agnostic change from such an objective stand point. the same can be said about a christian who converts to atheism or a muslim who converts to christianity

Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
i cant answer a question for an individual because it would require me to make generalizations and assumptions.

i was an agnostic who became to believe in a creator.
Fair enough, but it's not choice for everyone...perhaps it's innate.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, but it's not choice for everyone...perhaps it's innate.
it could be developed actualized or innate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality