Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
what is your view of this parable?
Luke 8:5-8

World English Bible (WEB)

“The farmer went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, some fell along the road, and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the sky devoured it. Other seed fell on the rock, and as soon as it grew, it withered away, because it had no moisture. Other fell amid the thorns, and the thorns grew with it, and choked it. Other fell into the good ground, and grew, and produced one hundred times as much fruit.” As he said these things, he called out, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

Interpretation:

Luke 8:11-15

World English Bible (WEB)

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those along the road are those who hear, then the devil comes, and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation. That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. That in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it tightly, and produces fruit with patience.
You can't understand that parable alone, it isn't meant to stand alone, it stands with 3 other parables. The first is of seeding in the barley harvest, the second is of the wheat harvest, the mustard seed is about the medicine and trees of the feast of Tabernacles, and the kingdom of heaven is you, as leaven that a woman hid inside 3 measures of meal. Those 3 measures are the 3 parables speaking of the 3 harvest inside each person. You die daily in sowing your seed in the barley and yoj become a new creature in the wheat and separated to God, and then you become a high priest compared to a tree that everyone comes to, you give them shelter and sustanence as your words teach many. When Jesus explained these parables, he had to explain all three at once because the soul cannot be explained wighoug explaining the flesh, and the spirit cannot be explained without explaining the flesh and the soul. Those 3 parables are about you, what you are, and how one progresses through those 3 main feasts. You are the temple and those feasts are your comings and goings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yeah. That sounds like the nutshell explanation we received every year from our R.C. priest when this passage came up. It didn't seem that complicated way back those many decades ago.
Yes. Since Jesus actually explains it to those dumb disciples, I don't see where all these way -out Interpretations are coming from.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. Since Jesus actually explains it to those dumb disciples, I don't see where all these way -out Interpretations are coming from.
All the parables are about the same thing, what you are.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:21 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Although the explanation you have given is basically it, again you have to go to the origin of this parable to see what is happening in detail, the gospel according to Mark.

Note that after Jesus has said "[SIZE=-1]He who has ears to hear, let him hear"[/SIZE], those around him (including the disciples) ask the meaning of the parable. So again Mark is making the disciples appear stupid.

Seed sown along the way, eaten by birds
Those along the road are those who hear, then the devil comes, and takes away the word from their heart, that they may not believe and be saved
The scribes, Pharisees and Jewish leaders.

Seed sown in rocky ground, comes up quickly, but has no roots, withers in the sun.
Those on the rock are they who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; but these have no root, who believe for a while, then fall away in time of temptation.
The disciples, especially Peter (Cephas, the rock), James, and John.

Seed sown among thorns, thorns choke it and it produces no fruit.
That which fell among the thorns, these are those who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity.
Herod, the rich man of Mark 10:17-22.

Seed sown on good earth, brings forth grain in triple abundance.
That in the good ground, these are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it tightly, and produces fruit with patience.
You, the reader or hearer of the gospel.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It obviously has to do with our attitudes towards money. If people are giving away what they don't need, then I believe they are following the spirit of God. That is the basic message throughout the Bible. People would rather store up treasures on earth in storehouses where it does no one any good, whereas they could give it away to those in need, essentially building up the treasures in their hearts. It's a simple formula.
Right, give away everything you don't need at the moment. Then, later on, when you don't have enough you can ask for it back. Or maybe not ...

Old 10-19-2018, 10:55 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Clearly the parable is about God's sovereignty and how nothing is going to "take" unless God has predestined it.

or not

Old 10-19-2018, 11:58 AM

I have heard so many people speak of the sower when they don't know it's the barley harvest, but then you hear a million opinions on the wheat and the tares when people don't even realize they are speaking of Pentecost, the wheat harvest just as they give their opinions of the sower when they don't know that are speaking of Passover, the barley harvest, not to mention people giving their opinion of the Mustard seed not knowing it is showing the feast of Tabernacles, and these are body, soul, and spirit. You die daily sowing your seed in Passover and it happens in the outer court for the flesh and then we speak of the wheat harvest, and this is Pentecost.

If somebody really wants to understand those 4 parables, they should become a farmer to understand what a farmer does in the first harvest, and then they should study everything there is to know of harvesting wheat, and why it is appointed for Pentecost, and they should also realize that where Passover and Pentecost are barley and wheat, the feast of Tabernacles IS NOT ABOUT GRAINS, it is of trees and vines and medicine.

It is not of grains, it is of oil and wine taken from trees and vines.

Those 4 parables are telling you what you are in body, soul, and spirit in the 3 harvests of the Temple, YOU ARE THAT TEMPLE, THOSE HARVESTS ARE OF YOU.

You know what happens in the feast of Tabernacles? Three divisions of priests bring the water, the wine and the trees.

These limbs of trees are carried on the shoulders of the congregation and they are brought to the alter in honor, on the shoulders of the people where a tent is made at the alter where the water and wine spill out of the holes in the cups and people say,'' Save now,'' because the medicine and cure is expected at Tabernacles and thus the oil and the wine, and the etrogs are all medicine and there has been few greater medicines than mustard.

Those tree limbs are mainly willow trees, and where do we get asprin from? Willow trees.

Again, the sower is the barley harvest and it is very obvious that The wheat and tares is the wheat harvest and obvious that the mustard seed is of the feast of Tabernacles, body, soul, a spirit.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-19-2018 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
All the parables are about the same thing, what you are.
I disagree; all the parables are about what the early Christians wanted people to do: become Christians.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I disagree; all the parables are about what the early Christians wanted people to do: become Christians.
Well, I believe and know that Jesus said them but that isn't what proves them, what proves them is the fact that they are all hidden in a secret language, and to me, this language proves God because it proves that there is a hidden language, but I am going to tell you that what I say is correct, and that everytime you see the phrase,'' The kingdom of heaven,'' it is speaking of you, you are the kingdom of heaven.

All of those parables are showing you what you are, you are two kingdoms where it is kingdom against kingdom, and even the prodigal son teaches of what you are, flesh and spirit. The prodigal son simply tells us the literal history of the two kingdoms of Israel, but those two kingdoms represent what we are.

I mean, If you are going to be my disciple, how is this going to work if you contradict me?

Old 10-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Well, I believe and know that Jesus said them but that isn't what proves them, what proves them is the fact that they are all hidden in a secret language, and to me, this language proves God because it proves that there is a hidden language, but I am going to tell you that what I say is correct, and that everytime you see the phrase,'' The kingdom of heaven,'' it is speaking of you, you are the kingdom of heaven.

All of those parables are showing you what you are, you are two kingdoms where it is kingdom against kingdom, and even the prodigal son teaches of what you are, flesh and spirit. The prodigal son simply tells us the literal history of the two kingdoms of Israel, but those two kingdoms represent what we are.

I mean, If you are going to be my disciple, how is this going to work if you contradict me?
I have never been a fan of Hidden messages in the Bible. I mean, old fellow, when Jesus explains quite clearly the meaning of the parable, why on earth go looking for some more obscure meaning?

And I still think you are kidding I mean, since I am certainly not expecting you to become my disciple, why should you imagine that I would want to become yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality