Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times

Advertisements

I've kept spiritual beliefs out of annual occasions. No problem. Halloween can be simply dressing up, candy, and going door to door. Christmas can be Santa and presents. Celebrating a certain someone's birth can take place everyday, not just once.

People seem to want and need frustration and difficulty. Go ahead, if that's your thing. You're squirming unnecessarily though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 12:40 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,437 times
Jewish and don't celebrate Halloween.
I do buy a bunch of candy the day after, though.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Just curious! If this question offends you, it's okay not to answer. I realize this may be personal. But otherwise, feel free to chime in. I'm curious about why people do or don't celebrate Halloween.

For disclosure's sake, I should say I'm agnostic, loosely Buddhist (sometimes) and I do celebrate Halloween. I celebrate it very secularly but I put a heavy emphasis on the season of fall itself and all those images because I've always felt a special connection to this season. I am, however, very fascinated with the "death" imagery and I think it may be because it's something that's scary and taboo, and just once a year we get to sort of laugh at it. It's a tension-reliever.
95% of the churches in my area celebrate Halloween and each has a trunk-or-treat activity.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My beliefs fit under the expansive Pagan umbrella, so natch, I have no issues with celebrating Halloween. In fact, I have no issues celebrating pretty much anything.

But since moving to the edge of civilization a few years ago, I haven't had a single trick-or-treater and I miss seeing the little rugrats.
As they say..It's 5 O'clock somewhere.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
I get to dress up like a girl ... I in.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:29 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I seriously can't stand Halloween, and it has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Our church even sponsors a Trunk or Treat. I participated in it as a child and wasn't even crazy about it back then. I have met a total of three other people in my life who feel like I do, so I know I'm in the minority. I definitely don't begrudge anybody the fun of celebrating it if that's what they want, but I'll leave my husband in the living room to get up and answer the door every two minutes while I curl up under the covers in my bed and watch TV.
I'm pretty much like that about ALL holidays. I do enjoy Halloween (and other celebrations) as long as they don't require too much effort on my part.

I'm a former conservative Christian, for the record, and I didn't feel any different about Halloween then, than I do now: I don't enjoy gore and horror, but I like the cutesy, fun stuff.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:11 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Baptist, southern style and yes have always celebrated Halloween. So have all the churches I have attended. However I do get the Halloween is evil pamphlets every year from a couple local churches.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:17 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Liberal human here, no religion and have had many fun Halloweens. Was still going out with grandkids when I was in my 60's, now at 80, don't even eat candy. Taking care of what's left of health too important.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:11 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I was brought up in both a Jewish & Episcopal household. Today, I am a Pagan. I have ALWAYS loved Halloween-not so much the spooky stuff. I love the idea of costumes and dressing up. It was the only time of year when I can do it and get away with it. Unfortunately, as a kid, I didn't have too much help with my costumes and they were always pretty lame.

Today, as a Pagan, I light candles for loved ones who are no longer with us as I pass out candy to the little ghosts & goblins who come knocking at our door. As for dressing up, well-what I wear is still pretty lame-a black dress with a cheapo witch's hat. But, two years ago I bought a cape and wear that instead of my hat.

Cat

Old 10-30-2018, 03:38 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
I do not "celebrate" it so much as we "partake" in it. I think that is an important distinction as the former suggests some level of investment in the history and meaning and culture and inferences behind it. The latter means nothing more than enjoying tradition and festivity.

I like the basic idea of what Halloween is today - which is the personification of - and the giving of form to - our fears and demons and monsters. And then turning them into something we mock - laugh at or about - enjoy - and otherwise dispel the negatives of in cathartic revelry.

I think it quite beneficial at the psychological level for children even more so for this reason. To see their night fears and monsters personified and turned into objects of revelry and debauchery and fun.

So yes I would be much more invested in Halloween than - say - Christmas. My kids are 4 and 8 at the moment and I have never done the Santa Claus thing with them. Never told them he exists - brings presents - or any of that nonsense. I see no benefit to it at any level - like I do with Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality